Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
    I am making a web host, and im trying to figure out a few last things...

1. How do i accept payments on my web site?

2. Ive got a personal paypal account. Do i need any sort of specoal paypal account?
    3. I will provde month to month hosting. I am assuming i bill somebody for the month before or after?
    For example if they pay january first, the have paid for january?
    Thanks...
    Lots of Free Hosting Providers use osCommerce and ZenCart.

You can also use AccountLabPlus < Its a free and also lots of features.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

RomanCart is a "hosted solution", right?

Am I correct in thinking that a merchant does not have the ability move the shopping cart to another hosting service?
    Joe Harkins, owner
    http://buildinghosting.com
    building and hosting the net since January 1994

Hi,

RomanCart is a Hosted Checkout Service and Shopping Basket. In no way to they host or touch your domain. If you are using our product manager then you can export your product database to a csv file if you are not satisfied.

But the shopping cart itself is hosted with RomanCart. So if the merchant wants to move the entire shopping cart, including all the files as well as the look and feel of the site, he cannot, right?

I do note that certain files can be exported from your cart. But in order to use them, the merchant would have to build a complete new shopping cart and import the files into his database (assuming they are compatibly mapped in something like MySQL.)

Also, a hosted solution imposes distinct limits on how much graphic customizing may be done. Once done, any customization is probably not compatible with any other host. I may be incorrectly describing RomanCart, and if I am please correct me. But what I am saying does apply to hosted solutions in general.

I am not suggesting there is anything improper about a hosted solution shopping cart. But most small merchants do not understand the significance of the issues or the limitations it poses.

If a merchant uses a free-standing shopping cart like CubeCart (or OpenCart, ZenCart, etc.), he can build his store on any compatible hosting service and then, for any reason at all, move the entire thing, including the exact look and fell, to a different hosting service, without the need for anyone's permission or co-operation.
    Joe Harkins, owner

Hi,

RomanCart does not provide your product pages, it is a shopping cart system in the truest sense. Most other shopping cart systems are actually complete shop CMS systems where they force you to use templates etc for your product pages, which is what you are describing.

With RomanCart, you simply paste 'add to basket' buttons onto any web page and it instantly becomes a shop.

You don't need any special hosting, it will work with any webspace or website.

The only pages you need to customize are the cart and checkout pages as the pages with your products on are part of your website which you design yourself however you wish.

Therefore with RomanCart you can move your webspace whenever you like without having to get software installed on your new webspace etc, so it is the easiest way of doing this.

Finally though - and slightly off topic is that a hosted system such as RomanCart is able to provide lots of Internet Marketing Features, which would not be possible to provide on systems where you have to install your own software. I won't go into more detail as it is off topic however it's all on our website.

Thanks

Respectfully, you are mis-stating the point what I made.

I did not say that a merchant could not move his web site. I said, and this is true, he cannot move his shopping cart. The shopping cart you provide will not work on any other hosting service. It is is of no benefit to move the site if you can't take the entire site with you.

That would be like jacking up the bricks and mortar store, putting it on rollers, and taking it to a vacant lot down the road. If you have to leave the inventory and cash register behind, where's the good in that?

A merchant intending to use your service needs to be properly informed. As long as he knows that his shopping cart is locked into your server and will die if your company goes out of business, then there is nothing wrong with that.
    Joe Harkins, owner

Hi,

Sorry - I see what you are saying.

However, we would take a different view. RomanCart provides its shopping cart to more than 45,000 merchants and is a profit making successful company.

Far more risky would be if you installed an installable cart such as those you mentioned on a small cheap webhost which dissappeared with your data and servers overnight.

Thanks

If the merchant made daily backups, that would not be a problem. He would simply reinstall on a new host, from the most recent backup. Or if his host did not provide the service he needed, he could easily set up at a new host.

in each case, he would simply go into his Domain Name Registration and repoint it to the new server. That is, BTW, an argument against the all too common practice of allowing your Registrar to host your site. They would have too much control and too much temptation to exercise that control.
    Joe Harkins, owner

I suggest you check into http://www.whmcs.com - as it's a very good, and almost the standard used for most hosting company's around today. Its the complete hosting solution, includes supports, management, client information, billing information, payments, invoices, and your able to track each order, and monitor each thing.

I would suggest you try that out, they have monthly licenses also, so your able to just test-drive it and if you don't like it find something else.

I also suggest you upgrade your PayPal to a Business Account and make sure everything is completely ready; You never want to just use your static website to gather everything, as if you are successful having a management system will make it so much easier making sure invoices are paid, unpaid, or even overdue and suspend the service instantly for you.
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

WHMCS will not only suspend an overdue account for you, but if you configure it to terminate seriously overdue accounts, and then tell it to populate the accounts from your server, WHMCS will automatically wipe out every account that it believes (wrongly) is overdue.

When I say wipe out, I mean totally terminate and remove every byte of of every such domain, with no hope of recovery unless you happen to have a full backup on another, not connected server.

You are reading bitter, bitter experience.

And their tech support will tell you it is not a flaw in their design. Also, there is (or at least was not at the time) nothing in their instructions to tell you that it will happen. But the fact is it happened, and I would not call it an "undocumented feature."
    Joe Harkins, owner

Quote Originally Posted by joehark View Post
    And their tech support will tell you it is not a flaw in their design. Also, there is (or at least was not at the time) nothing in their instructions to tell you that it will happen. But the fact is it happened, and I would not call it an "undocumented feature."
    That would be the "Enable Termination" option on the Setup > Automation Settings page: http://docs.whmcs.com/Automation_Set...le_Termination
    WHMCS
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    Documentation | Help Guides

Yes - In the case I am speaking of, I had all domains set up for annual pr-payment. Any of the imported domains that were more than a year old were treated as if they were overdue and terminated. Totally wiped out and had to be reinstalled from a backup.

This is such an obvious flaw in the design of WHMCS that it was ludicrous for them to deny it was one. But they did.

It would have been so simple to code in a common confirmation prior to termination.

Since I have no idea what other "not our fault" problems they are refusing to admit, I deleted it and never will go near it again.
    Joe Harkins, owner

Well, I got the advice I needed, and I have upgraded my PayPal to business.
    So go ahead and feel free to wander slightly off topic

Ah, but we did not yet get to the OT level where one person calls another a nazi. I used to know the name of the "rule." It's something to do with how many people are involved and how many messages are posted.

Glad you got what you need before the Gotterdamerung.
    Joe Harkins, owner

Actually, this topic is going in an interesting (yet slightly precarious and dangerous) driectoin.

So let's discuss WHMCS!

I recommended you that you can use WHMCS/iHost billing manager for hosting business. You get this billing manager payment option. Then go ahead and problem solve.
    Reliable Web Hosting Service ZeltHost.com
    Shared & Reseller Hosting with 24/7 Customer Support.
    Shared Hosting\\//Reseller Hosting

i use 2checkout and alertpay in my web site

Quote Originally Posted by hostliger View Post
    i use 2checkout and alertpay in my web site
    do you get any problem with 2Checkout?

and do you have many or few monthly transactions processed through 2CO?

i worked locally in my country from 2006
    but i start international work from some days
    so i did not received any money in 2co yet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12