Parallels AND whm

Hi,

We got a VPS which has Parallels on it and my colleague installed whm on it as well. Is it possible to have them both running at the same time? Will there be conflicts?

I am asking as we are seeing really slow website page loadings even though the resources stats we see look pretty good (i.e. CPU at less than 10%, RAM is less than 20% etc.).

Thanks for your help.

Are you talking about Parallels Plesk? You can't have both installed at the same time. Reload the OS and install cPanel/WHM or Plesk. One or the other.

Do you mean Parallels Plesk Panel + WHM? If yes I'm sure you'll have issues even if at the moment they seem to work. You'll never find someone suggest such a solution. Get another VPS and put cpanel there.

But even if there was a possibility to run them both long term without issues, having them both on the same machine will eat so much of your vps power...at the end you'll have the vps just to make the panels work and limited traffic. I don't know if you have a monster vps. IMHO having them both is a 100% way to disaster. For sure you can do your experiments though!

Yes, Parellels Plesk. Our VPS came with PP pre-installed and my colleague installed whm/cpanel.

Is is possible do you think to uninstall PP only... solving the problem (I prefer whm/cpanel)? Or will I need to remove both pp and whm and reinstall a fresh whm?

I use Joomla sites so whm/cpanel is good for me, but this server company has great ping/traceroutes for my location so want to use them... even though they come preinstalled with pp.

Sorry, I am not very familiar with vps management... hence the silly questions.
    Last edited by chinatrumpet; 05-13-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chinatrumpet View Post
    When you say you can't have both installed, do you mean it will throw up errors or that it will just take up more resources?
    Both. Although I've never installed both at once before, I'd imagine they'd conflict since they manage the same system services and user accounts.

Reload the OS and install only one.

Reload the OS and install only on
    This is a stupid question, but you mean "reinstall" the linux server from scratch then fresh install the whm/cpanel?

Yep, that's it.

We got a VPS which has Parallels on it and my colleague installed whm on it as well.
    I would add that your colleague is a dunce and should not have the ability to install anything. That was one of the most ridiculous things he/she could have done. I'm really at a loss for words. Don't let that person near the VPS with admin privileges again.

He/she doesn't understand servers any better than you do!
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I have been seeing very slow webpage loading speeds for my site (and it was ok before moving to this server), but have really fast FTPing, low RAM and CPU loadings, and great Ping and traceroute results.

Actually, when using Firefox to load pages on the site, the "waiting for ... " message is the really slow part the "transferring data from ... " seems quick.

Do you think having both Parallels and WHM could be the cause of this?

Are you using Parallels control panel to manage the container or plesk?

It says "Welcome to Parallels Power Panel" and it has a "container management" menu under which you can choose "control panels" and install Plesk Control Panel.

So I guess we are using Parallels control panel?

I have been seeing very slow webpage loading speeds for my site (and it was ok before moving to this server), but have really fast FTPing, low RAM and CPU loadings, and great Ping and traceroute results.

Actually, when using Firefox to load pages on the site, the "waiting for ... " message is the really slow part the "transferring data from ... " seems quick.

Do you think having both Parallels and WHM could be the cause of this?
    Having BOTH Plesk and cPanel is definitely a problem, reload your VPS with a new OS and only use one or the other.

Check your DNS, wrong DNS/Resolver/Nameserver settings often slow down the site loading. Although usually you'll see "Connecting" instead of "waiting".

Also, since this is a VPS, it could be oversold. Oversold can show low RAM usage on the VPS but on the node it's into Swap and that slows you down.

Finally, check the disk i/o speed.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.