* VPS with "DDR SSD" and SSD

I'm surprised no one is offering this yet. Whoever is first in please post benchmarks.

Are DDR SSDs just DDR memory combined with regular SSD storage? I have to admit I haven't heard that term before.

DDR SSD is new for me too... Maybe you meant SSD drives only?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Do a websearch under: "DDR SSD" "300000 IOPS". Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by silverysurfer View Post
    Do a websearch under: "DDR SSD" "300000 IOPS". Cheers
    Doesn't seem like a technology that has really taken off based on the dates of the articles I found. The price premium per GB is even higher than regular SSDs already are although they do seem to promise higher IOPS.

We'll maybe its time if not already, I think it could start on the server end where it can be appreciated more, then it may slowly leech over to the general home user end. This was from an old post, I edited a little: "A current 4 GHz CPU would be necessary to test the limits of a single DDR SSD (EDITED)while two drives can “take down” any CPU available today, (EDITED)did not elaborate the highest IOPS achieved in (*edited part) lab, (EDITED) “more than 500,000 IOPS” are possible. Using Microsu_ks L...indows (EDITED lol) built-in RAID support, DDR SDD devices can be spanned (for capacity), striped (performance), mirrored (redundancy), and RAID-5 configured. DATES BACK TO MAYBE 2008/9, so maybe that was DDR or DDR2 back then."
    Last edited by silverysurfer; 05-13-2011 at 07:01 AM.

This thread makes me think back to an article of a recent Areca card that uses DDR2 and the testing was with SSD in RAID0

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/...kes-at-3-6gbs/
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

He is probably referring to these puppies: http://www.ramsan.com/

"The RamSan-440 is a new solid state disk with record high performance, record high capacity for a RAM-based system, and a combination of features that help ensure the highest availability of data to its users. The RamSan-440 is the world’s first non-volatile RAM-based SSD to sustain 600,000 IOPS (input/outputs per second) and deliver 512GB of storage capacity in a 4U rack-mount chassis. It’s also the first SSD to use RAIDed NAND Flash storage modules for data backup, and the first system to incorporate Texas Memory Systems’ patented IO2 (Instant-On Input-Output) technology."

You can imagine what it will cost per GB of storage

VPS.net has something similar with their Fusion IO storage nodes

Please don't ever think anything comes near RamSan performance.

Texas Memory is called in when everyone else failed, i.e. UBS just recently rolled in 35TB of RamSan storage and I heard they're quite happy
    It's good Texas Memory woke up and work on their marketing now, as the tech has been perfect for years now.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Right, Fusion IO and RamSan are two different things performance wise.
    Also.. one costs a car, the other a small block of houses

Quote Originally Posted by silverysurfer View Post
    I'm surprised no one is offering this yet. Whoever is first in please post benchmarks.
    We looked into SSD based VPS when we were considering storage options for our 48 Core VPS nodes but the cost was still too prohibitive.

Right now, it's still something like $200 for a 128GB SSD.

For a reliable system, you'd probably have to use at least 4 of them in a RAID10 configuration.

That's $200x4 = $800 for 256GB of storage....and those are the low cost MLC variety.

True enterprise drives would use SLC at a cost of something like $250 for 32GB.

When costs drop for SSD's it will probably start popping up.
    KiloServe Hosting - 48 Core Nodes and specializing in high disk I/O VPS
    www.KiloServe.com Providing Quality Hosting since 2007
    Specializing in Dedicated Servers, OpenVZ VPS, Xen VPS, and Windows VPS.