[Inland West Coast USA - Since 1998] $5/mo Xen Linux VPS 512MB RAM / 39GB SAS RAID10

**To get $10 off your initial order, mention code WHT0512 in the Promotional Code field when ordering**

e-hwVPS 2011
    • Xen paravirtualization (fast!)
    • CentOS x64 only
    • Minimal initial install
    • Install software as needed with yum
    • 2 Virtual CPUs - Xeon E5504 2.0GHz
    • 512MiB Dedicated RAM
    • 199GiB SAS RAID10 Storage
    • 1 Dedicated IP address
    • 2,000GiB Data Transfer per month
    • Instant setup on order approval

$60/year (~67% off monthly price, comparable to $5/month)
    or
    $15/month

PayPal and all major Credit Cards accepted

90 day Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee

Upgrades Available:
    Up to 16GiB Dedicated RAM
    Up to 399GiB Storage
    $1/GiB/month for additional Data Transfer
    CPanel available at time of initial order for $20/month + $30 setup
    Get it Managed for $50/month additional

For more info or to order go to:
    http://www.simplywebhosting.com/

**To get $10 off your initial order, mention code WHT0512 in the Promotional Code field when ordering**

About SimplyWebHosting.com
    SimplyWebHosting.com is a brand of Advantagecom Networks, Inc., a small privately held web hosting company in Walla Walla, WA. Advantagecom has 8 years experience selling and supporting virtual private servers, 9 years experience running their own datacenter, and 14 years experience selling and supporting web hosting.
    Kind regards,
    Amy Kinney

Executive I2E2, Advantagecom Networks, Inc. | www.SimplyWebHosting.com
    Uncompromising Integrity in Web Hosting Since 1998

Port speed and test IP please.

Quote Originally Posted by akbsol View Post
    Port speed and test IP please.
    It's connected to our network with two gigabit ports.

An IP you may speed test is 66.29.157.55.
    Kind regards,
    Amy Kinney

I was asking the port speed of VPS itself. 1 gbps / 100 mbps / 10 mbps etc. You might have limited it to some number.

I was asking the port speed of VPS itself. 1 gbps / 100 mbps / 10 mbps etc. You might have limited it to some number.
    No, that is the port speed of the VPS
    Kind regards,
    Amy Kinney

Okay. Lets see whether it works out for me or not. Ordered and paid. Eagerly waiting for the VPS details now.
    Last edited by akbsol; 05-13-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Ok. I have received the VPS information and it looks like everything is working as expected with the exception that port is 100 mbit and not 2 or 1 Gbps as you suggested. But that is perfectly alright with me. But the VPS information email says that I can put only 1 free support ticket per month where as the page:

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/plan...my-hwvps.shtml

clearly mentions it as 20 ("20 incidents per month included"). I went through all the details on your site before signing up so this is a valid discrepancy. Although I am not much of an novice and don't need support almost all the times except when something is down from the node side. But I wouldn't want to be charged $35 simply for asking something that I cannot resolve on my own like a network problem or something like that.

on the titile it stated as "$5/mo Xen Linux VPS 512MB RAM / 39GB SAS RAID10".
    Is the actual disk space is 39gig or 199gig as stated?
    Is control panel come with it or just shell account?
    I noticed they provide BlueOnyx for manage vps.

According to akbsol, one open ticket per month. So, if you stuck or can't do anything to restart, you have to pay $35 dollar/ticket. That is not quiet nice.
    Last edited by innya; 05-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Ok. I have received the VPS information and it looks like everything is working as expected with the exception that port is 100 mbit and not 2 or 1 Gbps as you suggested. But that is perfectly alright with me. But the VPS information email says that I can put only 1 free support ticket per month where as the page:

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/plan...my-hwvps.shtml

clearly mentions it as 20 ("20 incidents per month included"). I went through all the details on your site before signing up so this is a valid discrepancy. Although I am not much of an novice and don't need support almost all the times except when something is down from the node side. But I wouldn't want to be charged $35 simply for asking something that I cannot resolve on my own like a network problem or something like that.
    It is 20. We've upgraded that and forgot to update the setup email with the new information. We'll be updating the setup email later today with the correct information. Thank you for reporting the discrepancy.

Also, if you're reporting an actual node outage, that ticket wouldn't count towards your total unless we determined that the node was actually fine and the problem was just specific to your e-hwVPS. Our monitoring would notify us of a node problem before you could login and submit a ticket, though, so we'd probably already be working on it if it were indeed a problem with the node.

Regarding the "port speed", the node is indeed connected to our network with two 1Gbps links (max 1Gbps data rate per stream, 2Gbps max total) and we don't limit the data rate of the e-hwVPS directly. Traffic between an e-hwVPS and other gigabit capable systems in our network would see the full data rate of 2x 1Gbps.

The reason you're seeing only 100Mbps today is due to an upstream network component that we're in the process of upgrading. If you need more than 100Mbps, let us know and we'll be happy to accelerate that upgrade. It can be done within a few days, but it has been low on the priority list since our utilization at present is only about 30Mbps during our typical peak usage periods.

Once that upgrade is complete, you'll see approximately 300Mbps as the max. That 300Mbps bottleneck is further upstream and a fiber build that eliminates that bottleneck should be delivered any day now.

The fiber build will enable 2x 1Gbps feeds on a redundant ring. The fiber build has been promised by our upstream provider for over a year now, but we're now finally seeing the fiber crews on our street and they report the splicing is nearly complete. If you've ever worked a large scale fiber optic build, you know how unexpected regulatory and logistical delays can pile on despite your best efforts and good will with government officials.

Once the fiber build is complete, we'll have a 15 minute cabling job and a 2 hour software configuration job to eliminate a 1Gbps bottleneck and enable a full 2x 1Gbps path, end to end.

Like I said, though, neither us nor our customers have had a pressing need to go faster than 100Mbps. If you do, let us know and we'll accelerate our network upgrades.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney
    CTO, Advantagecom Networks
    http://www.SimplyWebHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by innya View Post
    on the titile it stated as "$5/mo Xen Linux VPS 512MB RAM / 39GB SAS RAID10".
    Is the actual disk space is 39gig or 199gig as stated?
    Is control panel come with it or just shell account?
    I noticed they provide BlueOnyx for manage vps.

According to akbsol, one open ticket per month. So, if you stuck or can't do anything to restart, you have to pay $35 dollar/ticket. That is not quiet nice.
    The subject line is incorrect. It should have read "[Inland West Coast USA - Since 1998] $4.17/mo Xen Linux VPS 512MB RAM / 199GB SAS RAID10". WHT would have cut that short (too many characters), though, so we would have revised it to something that would fit. We'll be checking into changing the subject line on this offer, but if we can't change it this time, it will at least be corrected for future offers.

The e-hwVPS (as stated at our web site) is provisioned with a minimal install and you can install whatever software you need from there.

BlueOnyx is not available or included with the e-hwVPS (requires 32-bit CentOS and e-hwVPS is 64-bit CentOS), so you must be confusing that with our high end hwVPS plans, which are completely different.

It is 20 support tickets per month, not 1. We forgot to update the setup email when we changed that. We'll be correcting the setup email later today.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Thanks for the reply.
    Is 4.17/month(anually 50.00) recurring price?

is the price recurring?

Quote Originally Posted by innya View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is 4.17/month(anually 50.00) recurring price?
    With the discount coupon and annual prepayment, your first year is $50. It renews at $60 per year after your first year.

If you pay monthly and use the discount coupon, your first month would be $5 and each month thereafter would be $15.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Thanks for clearing things up.

Annual payment only of course;
    $50/year for first year. (using WHT0512 promo code)
    There after $60/year recurring.

Wow, Walla Walla, huh? Up here in Wenatchee looking for a VPS to replace my current. Didn't expect to find anyone from my own back yard. Is that 512MB RAM burstable?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyBBOTA View Post
    Wow, Walla Walla, huh? Up here in Wenatchee looking for a VPS to replace my current. Didn't expect to find anyone from my own back yard. Is that 512MB RAM burstable?

Thanks
    This is a Xen VPS so the 512 is the real usable RAM. Burst RAM applies to OpenVZ only.

This is a Xen VPS so the 512 is the real usable RAM. Burst RAM applies to OpenVZ only.
    Ok, thanks for that info! Haven't had the chance to play with any Xen VPSs yet.

Is the VPS provisioned instantly? Luckily I've been testing my "new" VPS and it has been down for the last 30 mins so I'm ready to move right away. Will this have to wait until Monday?

Mine wasn't instant but it was fast. I got the VPS details yesterday after 20-25 minutes of paying the invoice. BUT just a couple of minutes back I receievd this email:

Code:
    Subject: Service Suspension Notification

Dear xxxx xxxxxxx,

This is a notification that your service has now been suspended. The details of this suspension are below:

Product/Service: e-hwVPS 2011
    Domain: xxxxxx.xxx
    Amount: $60.00 USD
    Due Date: 05/13/2012
    Suspension Reason: no root access for tech support

Please contact us as soon as possible to get your service reactivated.

Sincerely,
    Advantagecom Networks, Inc.
    I had disabled the already existing keys on the VPS as I usually do to tighten and secure the VPS. And suspension for this reason is something really NEW to me. Why would tech support want to snoop around my data and processes unless asked for?

Mine wasn't instant but it was fast. I got the VPS details yesterday after 20-25 minutes of paying the invoice. BUT just a couple of minutes back I receievd this email:

Code:
    Subject: Service Suspension Notification

Dear xxxx xxxxxxx,

This is a notification that your service has now been suspended. The details of this suspension are below:

Product/Service: e-hwVPS 2011
    Domain: xxxxxx.xxx
    Amount: $60.00 USD
    Due Date: 05/13/2012
    Suspension Reason: no root access for tech support

Please contact us as soon as possible to get your service reactivated.

Sincerely,
    Advantagecom Networks, Inc.
    I had disabled the already existing keys on the VPS as I usually do to tighten and secure the VPS. And suspension for this reason is something really NEW to me. Why would tech support want to snoop around my data and processes unless asked for?
    You ordered during business hours though I think. If I could have the VPS before 11PM PST I would definitely order it now but I don't think it will happen that fast.

I don't think they want to snoop I think they want the ability to be able to help if need be. They do, after all, own the hardware. We just pay rent.

akbsol,

While we recognize there may be legitimate reasons to lock down root access and SSH, it is our policy that tech support must have continuous root access to every e-hwVPS.

If you must lock down SSH, you can leave the tech support SSH keys in place and set iptables to allow SSH from just our tech support computers. This can be arranged with the tech support department on a case by case basis.

The reason for this policy is that, unlike a Virtuozzo-based VPS, a Xen based VPS does not provide any way for us to stop runaway processes, warez activity, or other problems short of logging directly into the VPS as root or stopping the VPS.

It has been our experience that when a customer refuses to let us see what they are doing with their VPS that they are likely doing things that are illegal or otherwise against our terms of service.

We have far more experience with this than a 2, 3, or even 5 year old hosting company. Eventually, if you don't keep tabs on your customers and don't root out the bad ones, the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, Paramount, and RIAA will be all over you (the hosting company). That's no way to run a business.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by MyBBOTA View Post
    Is the VPS provisioned instantly? Luckily I've been testing my "new" VPS and it has been down for the last 30 mins so I'm ready to move right away. Will this have to wait until Monday?
    There is an order screening and approval process for every new customer. Existing customers get their orders fast-tracked since they've already been screened.

We do keep an eye on orders that come in over the weekend and try to get new orders setup as soon as possible if they appear legitimate.

That said, screening can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes per new customer. In extreme cases, it can take up to an hour. If there is a backlog, orders are screened in a first paid, first screened manner.

We do not screen orders 24/7, though. We're a small company, so order processing typically happens between 9AM and 11PM, but there are gaps for meals, family time, and getting other work done. We take Saturdays off until sundown, but we'll generally look at orders Saturday night before heading to bed.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Quote Originally Posted by advantagecom View Post
    There is an order screening and approval process for every new customer. Existing customers get their orders fast-tracked since they've already been screened.

We do keep an eye on orders that come in over the weekend and try to get new orders setup as soon as possible if they appear legitimate.

That said, screening can take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes per new customer. In extreme cases, it can take up to an hour. If there is a backlog, orders are screened in a first paid, first screened manner.

We do not screen orders 24/7, though. We're a small company, so order processing typically happens between 9AM and 11PM, but there are gaps for meals, family time, and getting other work done. We take Saturdays off until sundown, but we'll generally look at orders Saturday night before heading to bed.
    Looks like I missed the cutoff until Sunday then. It looks like you're still online though, any chance we can get this set up tonight? Ok, this morning

Quote Originally Posted by advantagecom View Post
    akbsol,

While we recognize there may be legitimate reasons to lock down root access and SSH, it is our policy that tech support must have continuous root access to every e-hwVPS.

If you must lock down SSH, you can leave the tech support SSH keys in place and set iptables to allow SSH from just our tech support computers. This can be arranged with the tech support department on a case by case basis.

The reason for this policy is that, unlike a Virtuozzo-based VPS, a Xen based VPS does not provide any way for us to stop runaway processes, warez activity, or other problems short of logging directly into the VPS as root or stopping the VPS.

It has been our experience that when a customer refuses to let us see what they are doing with their VPS that they are likely doing things that are illegal or otherwise against our terms of service.

We have far more experience with this than a 2, 3, or even 5 year old hosting company. Eventually, if you don't keep tabs on your customers and don't root out the bad ones, the FBI, Department of Homeland Security, Paramount, and RIAA will be all over you (the hosting company). That's no way to run a business.
    I have been using VPSes for 8-9 years now with many different providers including Xen & KVM ones (ThrustVPS, Grokthis etc). I have never seen this policy anywhere else and thus as I said it was something really NEW to me. Mentioning FBI, Homeland Security etc and assuming that the users wanting to tighten their systems might be doing something fishy or against TOS was a bit over the top. I do take a number of security steps before starting to use any VPS I buy whether OpenVZ/Xen (like changing port of SSH, removing keys, disabling unnecessary services etc) and that is exactly what I had done.

I also understand that such a tightening is just a false sense of security as the hardware is still in control of the host and the process monitoring can also be done using out of band console if not SSH. Its just that NO host ever directly asked me to give them root access so suspension based on this reason really stumped me. As you understand my reasons I am happy to say that I also understand yours.

<snip> ... and the process monitoring can also be done using out of band console if not SSH. <snip>
    That isn't the case with Xen. That would be the case with Virtuozzo or OpenVZ.

Xen provides a much higher level of isolation, so we have to actually access the VPS itself to view its processes.

We can raw read your disk (not very useful to us) and we can view the console, but we cannot login without a username/password (on the console) or SSH keys. We might be able to raw read your memory space too, but that's not anything I've ever seen done in Xen. We could even intercept your network packets and reassemble them elsewhere.

None of that is worth doing for a low-end inexpensive account. To keep these things inexpensive requires that we go to no great lengths or spend much time on any one e-hwVPS. So, we keep it simple. Allow us root access to your e-hwVPS (running on our server hardware and our network) or switch to a colocated server where we have no such requirement. It sounds harsh, but it's just the nature of budget services.

Check the support ticket you entered for the way forward on this issue.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Signed up on the 13th... 4 days ago, and still haven't been activated. Sent an email asking, and still didn't receive a response. Not impressed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by redstar504 View Post
    Signed up on the 13th... 4 days ago, and still haven't been activated. Sent an email asking, and still didn't receive a response. Not impressed so far.
    Please provide me with an order number, name, or something else I can use to identify your order and I can provide you with status.

As far as I know, all accepted orders from the 13th are setup. The same department that screens new clients hits a button that completes the setup and sends out a setup email within minutes.

A common problem is that spam filters block the setup email. It happens to about 20% of new orders. I won't know if that's your issue until I look at your specific order, though.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney

Hi,

The only order number I could see was Invoice #2615.

I've scoured my spam box and didn't see the details, but when I logged into the client area I did see a root username/password, but no IP address.

Could you please send me the welcome email with the IP address included?

Thanks

Actually, I did find the email, so I recall my statement regarding it taking a long time to activate. I'll check it out and let you know my thoughts.

Hi,

The only order number I could see was Invoice #2615.

I've scoured my spam box and didn't see the details, but when I logged into the client area I did see a root username/password, but no IP address.

Could you please send me the welcome email with the IP address included?

Thanks
    Actually, I did find the email, so I recall my statement regarding it taking a long time to activate. I'll check it out and let you know my thoughts.
    For the record, this order was placed/paid May 14, 2011 at 2:50PM Pacific time (GMT -7:00). Setup was initiated before 3:21PM the same day. Setups complete within minutes of being initiated. Just a little over 30 minutes from payment to setup.

I think we did pretty good given we had to screen you as a new client.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Kinney