Arrow Router + ??? Hosting from desktop

Well, to start, i want to host a simple website and a Ragnarok Online server on my Desktop (winXP Home).
    I already know something about hosting with a router from g00gle searches, but i still can't get it to work. I tried to run Abyss web server app, it successfully loads on my PC and on all PCs in my local network (thru Router), but can't load from other PCs in internet.
    Now about our network config.
    imageshack.us/m/594/3063/beznzvuqu.png
    Our local network is made according to this diagram.
    But.. After the arrow is something i don't know anything about. Whole village connects to this "Whateveritis". So we all have the same WAN ip.
    ( according to mywanip, imageshack.us/m/846/8017/mywanipdrawwin.png , its 81.90.174.49 ) So, how can i do it, so people connect to 81.90.174.49, directly to my PC? I mean, when someone connects to this IP, how can he connect to MY PC, when we all have this IP?
    Thanks in advantage, Hajda aka ediskmail

Hi ediskmail

I might not be correct since I don’t have all the info about your lan set up, and the brand of router you are using.

You wrote “So we all have the same WAN ip”. By this I am assuming that you meant the following:

* When you access the site http://www.mywanip.com from any host in your lan you get the same IP address 81.90.174.49. It should be like that since that will be the public IP you are getting in your router that is connected to the ISP. And then the router distributes that connection to all hosts in the lan.

The most important question to find is:
    “Do you have a static IP from your ISP, or is it a dynamic.” To be frank 99.99% is ISPs provide dynamic IPs to customers unless you opt for a package that gives a static IP.

If you have a dynamic IP, that is if the public IP changes now and then, then the whole situation gets tough.

However if you have a static IP from your ISP, then it should be simple.

Now this is what the router does. It has two network connections. Once section that connects to the ISP, and the other that section that holds the hosts in the LAN. Now this is what you need to do:

(1) Find out the local IPs assigned to the hosts in the lan. This can be found by clicking “Start” – “Run” – and typing “cmd”. In the black screen type “ipconfig”
    (2) Find the local IP assigned to the host hosting the web server.
    (3) This is the complicated part. There should be a way to access the settings of the router. Usually, accessing the site http://192.168.1.1 or “http://192.168.0.1” should give you access to the setup page for most of the new home routers (unless you are using a professional one). Call the router support number to understand the option that “maps the public IP to the specific local IP of the host that hosts the server. This setting differs from router to router.

Good luck !!!

Steve
    Al Deraa Technologies
    Al Deraa Technologies : www.alderaatech.com
    Web Design & Hosting Solutions, Domain Names.
    30 Days Money Back Guarantee, cpanel

Get a free dynamic DNS service.
    Open port 80 on the router.
    Get ready for the hackers.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by ediskmail View Post
    So, how can i do it, so people connect to 81.90.174.49, directly to my PC? I mean, when someone connects to this IP, how can he connect to MY PC, when we all have this IP?
    Google "port forwarding". Your router needs this set up to forward port 80 from the outside to your computer's LAN IP. Bear in mind that even if you get it working for the rest of the internet, others in your village probably won't be able to connect to the public IP (it depends on the modem / router but most consumer-grade equipment won't do this) so you may need to test using a web proxy.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I don't recommend hosting in your home, but of course the choice is yours.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

What do you intend to host on your PC? Just calculate how much it would cost you to run your PC 24/7 (the electricity bill) and you may actually save money if you pay for hosting, instead of doing it from home.

I just wanted to enter one IRC and got banned with this message:
    81.90.174.49 was found in the database with a create date of Friday 08th of April 2011 11:29:58 AM, last updated Friday 27th of May 2011 01:03:17 AM
    This host was found to be an open proxy by the bot on [email protected]
    OPEN PROXY -> [email protected] 81.90.174.49:8080 (HTTP) [scan]
    Well then, what does open proxy mean and why do they consider it bad??
    (Thanks in Advantage)

And i've found this...
    stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/81.90.174.49

You just learn to setup everything step by step, no people could guide you directly on forum posting, you may just tell us what problem you get when configuring some specific stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ediskmail View Post
    Well then, what does open proxy mean and why do they consider it bad??
    It sounds like anyone can connect to your IP address (on port 8080) and then out again to another webserver, covering their tracks for any illegal activity (since their activity would trace back to your IP address). I doubt this is something you intended to allow, so it's possible that someone has hacked into the router or your PC (or both) to set it up. Check the router again and see where port 8080 is forwarding to, but consider a factory reset for the router and a full malware scan for your PC.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Well i dont think my PC needs malware scan. Because i finally found out.
    And that makes my hosting impossible. I'm on a double routed line. And i don't have access to the second router so... I think it's solved... Imma get another ISP