Thread: Hosting Advice

Hosting Advice

Hello currently upgrading next month our hosting package, Storage Space is going to be crucial for our website and we thinking of choosing this set up

2x2TB RAID 0
    XEON X3430 4 x 2,40 GHz
    8GB Ram

What i need to know if we choose raid 0 would that mean we will have 4TB of data space available for our website? Because we going to stream advertising videos from our site which will be stored on our website server. And if i remember correctly Raid 0 will splits data evenly across the disks which means our database will be stored on both hardrives.

Please advise if this information is correct?

As long as the Disks have a good RPM then you should be fine.
    Have you looked at CDN, this will allow you to stream content whilst storing it on a cluster/cloud to load balance it all.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Globlainc View Post
    Hello currently upgrading next month our hosting package, Storage Space is going to be crucial for our website and we thinking of choosing this set up

2x2TB RAID 0
    XEON X3430 4 x 2,40 GHz
    8GB Ram

What i need to know if we choose raid 0 would that mean we will have 4TB of data space available for our website? Because we going to stream advertising videos from our site which will be stored on our website server. And if i remember correctly Raid 0 will splits data evenly across the disks which means our database will be stored on both hardrives.

Please advise if this information is correct?
    No, In RAID 0 Config. you get only 2TB Hard Disk.

For eg: If you've 10TB HD in Raid config. then you can use only 5TB HD.

If you want to use 4TB HD then do not use RAID Configuration.
    LowVm - Cheap Windows & Linux VPS
    Xen Windows VPS & Linux VPS Provider
    I was born Intelligent but Education ruined me

Don't think youright that sounds more like Raid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by LowVM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LowVM View Post

Globlainc is correct.

RAID 0 = Stripe
    RAID 1 = Mirror

If you setup RAID 0 (sometimes called striping) you will have 4 tb and higher performance, but no redundancy.

If you setup RAID 1 (sometimes called mirroring) you will have 2 tb and complete redundancy, but no boost in performance.

If we choose Raid 0 Software or Hardware Raid?

If we choose Raid 0 Software or Hardware Raid?
    I find Linux software RAID to be entirely satisfactory, but getting a mainboard with RAID on it is probably simpler and faster to implement. Mainboards with RAID don't normally cost any more than mainboards without it, you just have to select a mainboard that has it.

You can get higher performance with some of the add-on RAID cards (i.e., they can duplicate the drive a lot faster) but they can be pricey. You're a lot better off looking for a mainboard with RAID.

I will go for a software raid in that case.

Concerning website transfer, i have 2TB of data for my website any idea how to transfer them to the new upgraded server without loosing it?
    Seems cpanel only saves the mysql database , but not the whole website as a whole

I will go for a software raid in that case.

Concerning website transfer, i have 2TB of data for my website any idea how to transfer them to the new upgraded server without loosing it?
    Seems cpanel only saves the mysql database , but not the whole website as a whole
    2 tb, wow! Is it in a VPS or a dedicated server? I'm wondering if you can transplant the old hard drive into the new machine for transfer.

Dedicated server, 2TB data , hardrive can not be tranplanted unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    2 tb, wow! Is it in a VPS or a dedicated server? I'm wondering if you can transplant the old hard drive into the new machine for transfer.

i really afraid setting up raid 0. more space.. more risk coming... data is more expansive then drive..

Quote Originally Posted by Vlan24 View Post
    i really afraid setting up raid 0. more space.. more risk coming... data is more expansive then drive..
    You have lots of options. You could practice with a couple of old hard drives, or you could hire someone. You also might be able to host your overflow clients in a slave server, depending on what control panel you use.

I recommend you reading review as that appears really useful before you start.

perhaps, you may share your concern on getting a RAID? There are different function. RAID 10 is to improve your server performance, you may chekc if your server support RAID 10.

With above info, I suggest you contact the hosting providers you are interested in and ask for the best specs with a reasonable price.