Question How are domain seizures done exactly?

Hi.

I'm reading stories about domains being seized and showing a web page by the Department of Justice, Homeland Security, and for some reason, ICE (isn't that immigration?).

Out of curiosity, how are domain seizures done exactly? None of the articles that I've come across give the specifics.

Do these agencies contact your register and they have them point your DNS to their servers, and block your registrar login access?

Yes, the registrar give access to domain to the agency and you loss the domain from your account.

I've few client who got their domain disabled/seized all them was registered with godaddy.com and client itself never got contacted by those agency.
    UnderHost.comOffshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    Managed OnApp CloudUSA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia

Quote Originally Posted by UnderHost View Post
    Yes, the registrar give access to domain to the agency and you loss the domain from your account.

I've few client who got their domain disabled/seized all them was registered with godaddy.com and client itself never got contacted by those agency.
    Does registrar contact to clients before to disabled or seized their domain names? I also want to know that any agency can request to seized any domain or only few agencies can apply for it. Is there any specific criteria to seized a domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    Does registrar contact to clients before to disabled or seized their domain names? I also want to know that any agency can request to seized any domain or only few agencies can apply for it. Is there any specific criteria to seized a domain name?
    I would go read what's happened to Full Tilt Poker, etc. in the U.S. and that will give you a perfect case study.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

In some cases Homeland Security or the FBI bypass the Registrars and go directly to the Registry (in recent cases Verisign).
    RealtimeRegister.com - Worldwide domain management. API (epp) + Resellers prices

Thanks "raindog308" for your suggestion.

What happens if your registrar is outside the United States?

.us is the only domain that us authorities can rightfully claim jurisdiction over.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    Depends. If the domain extension is one that's supported by a U.S.-based entity, then that entity is obviously subject to U.S. laws.

As some mentioned, anyone (even the U.S. government) can secure a court order in, say, California or Virginia and serve it on VeriSign. VeriSign's HQ is in CA, while their managing the .com Registry is in VA.

If someone filed suit in Arizona and tries to serve it on, say, Fabulous that's based in the land down under, it's up to Fabulous if they want to comply with that order or not. But...they don't really have to because it's not within their jurisdiction.

.us is the only domain that us authorities can rightfully claim jurisdiction over.
    No, all top level TLD are owned by USA such as .US, .COM, .NET, .INFO

They do not contact the domain owner, maybe they contact them if they are US citizen but if your not a US citizen they won't contact you.
    24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    Managed OnApp CloudUSA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources

I'm wondering how

wikileaks.org
    wikileaks.info
    and thepiratebay.org have avoided being seized to date.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
    Out of curiosity, how are domain seizures done exactly?
    Usually there is frothing in the mouth, eyes roll back and a hole in the pocket occurs.

That's not at all surprising. Although my circumstances were totally different, my issue with GD was that they will fine you, or in this case relinquish your domain, without requiring any substantiation for claims.

what are the possible reasons of these blocking???????

I'm wondering how

wikileaks.org
    wikileaks.info
    and thepiratebay.org have avoided being seized to date.
    Too high profile to take out, worldwide backlash/outrage/pressure would be absolutely massive?

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    what are the possible reasons of these blocking???????
    It was site selling replica product using .com but they can seize domain for many reason.