Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Exclamation Need Help Choosing a Dedicated Server (Noob)

    Hi.
    I'm looking for a cheap Dedicated Server and hope you guys can help me.
    I have a comapany that produces softwares for many propouses and we want to sell them on internet (we usually sell them in DVDs but selling it on the internet we can reach much more custumers). The files have from 800mb up to 4GB so we need a server with something like 1.5T at least of storage.
    The server will be just to store the files since our website is already done in other server.
    I have found some Dedicated Servers at a very good price but I don't understand nothing about It. So If you can help me with choosing one, or suggesting some more I would be very grateful.
    Here are the Dedicated Servers I Found:

    Interserver

    ATOM 1.6GHz
    Number of cores: 2
    Number of CPU(s): 1
    5 Usable IP Addresses
    1.5TB Hard Drive Space (+$10)
    6000GB Transfer (100Mb Uplink Port)
    1GB Memory
    Unmanaged Support

    Securedserver

    Dual Core G6950
    1GB DDR3
    2TB SATA II (+$30)
    3200GB Transefr (10 MBsUplink)


    Server4You

    AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core,
    4x 2.3 GHz
    8 GB DDR3-RAM
    2x 1,000 GB SATA II-HDD
    Unlimited traffic
    Monthly Payment



    FDCServer

    10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps+ available

    USA or EU location
    Dual Core ATOM
    4GB RAM
    1.5TB HDD

    Like I said before I don't know nothing about Dedicated servers so do you think this are good deals? I will need to pay something extra in the end of the month like traffic exceed or something like that?

    Many Thanks.

  2. #2
    If you don't understand much about dedicated servers, you should perhaps look for a managed option?

    I've not used any of the providers you've listed above, but I'm sure you'll find good / bad reviews if you search here, make sure you stay clear of anyone promising you 'Unlimited traffic', Unmetered is fine, however they're not the same thing (in theory anyway).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    958
    InterServ give a good service, how many download per month you expect? Do you need more than 6tb?
    • UnderHost Inc. • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Panama - United States - Russia •

  4. #4
    Either hire a server admin or get managed service.

    Also, you must disable all the mail servers and etc.
    Serverlogix.com - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,762
    Erm.... My suggestion is that you totally DO NOT go with either 1 of your choice and just look for File Hosting. That would be a lot better than trying to get a Dedicated Server for no reason whatsoever.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    635
    Forgive me if I'm just not aware of a reason that is leading you down the road to a dedicated, but I can't recommend a dedicated based on the information you've given. In fact, I recommend Amazon S3. I honestly don't think you could make a better choice for simple file storage and high bandwidth. Shouldn't cost you a penny by your estimation of space, and above that literally costs pennies.
    Last edited by mxroute; 05-12-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    MXroute - E-mail Hosting for Your Domain.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jarland View Post
    Forgive me if I'm just not aware of a reason that is leading you down the road to a dedicated, but I can't recommend a dedicated based on the information you've given. In fact, I recommend Amazon S3. I honestly don't think you could make a better choice for simple file storage and high bandwidth. Shouldn't cost you a penny by your estimation of space, and above that literally costs pennies.
    I choose the dedicated server because of the amount of data storage that it provides, and the bandwidth. We try a test in a normal web hosting with the smallest programs (something about 800mb) downloading them 4 times per day and the server simply deleted all our files and send us an email saying that we are using too much bandwith and things like that.
    So I thought that the dedicated server is more safe, but I dosen't know this Amazon S3. I'll be able to store, let's say, 1TB and don't have any bandwith problems in the future because of the downloads?

    {edit} Reading about Amazon S3 in theyer site, if I undertand the service right, they give me 5GB of storage and 15GB of bandwith, and charge $0.14 for each GB of storgae on the first 1TB and $0.15 per GB of bandwith. If I use 1TB with 3TB of bandwith I'll be paying $590.00 ($140 + $450). It's much more expansive then an deciated server...

    Many thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Tyler_BR; 05-12-2011 at 02:03 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_BR View Post
    I choose the dedicated server because of the amount of data storage that it provides, and the bandwidth. We try a test in a normal web hosting with the smallest programs (something about 800mb) downloading them 4 times per day and the server simply deleted all our files and send us an email saying that we are using too much bandwith and things like that.
    So I thought that the dedicated server is more safe, but I dosen't know this Amazon S3. I'll be able to store, let's say, 1TB and don't have any bandwith problems in the future because of the downloads?

    Many thanks for the help.
    Yeah I see what you mean. I do like S3 but if you were storing up to 1TB and getting a lot of downloads, it could start to creep up there in price.

    You might want to search the forums for reviews of the services you listed, then try to get some test files to check out their network speeds (I can run a file through a 1gbps line for you if you want, to see how fast their line runs). You might also want to e-mail them with specifics of your operation and see if they have a problem with it.
    MXroute - E-mail Hosting for Your Domain.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Erm.... My suggestion is that you totally DO NOT go with either 1 of your choice and just look for File Hosting. That would be a lot better than trying to get a Dedicated Server for no reason whatsoever.
    A file hosting like megaupload or rapidshare? No, I need a place to put my softwares to give direct access to my costumers. I can not direct them to the rapidshare for exemple...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_BR View Post
    A file hosting like megaupload or rapidshare? No, I need a place to put my softwares to give direct access to my costumers. I can not direct them to the rapidshare for exemple...
    Actually that brings me to another thought. Mediafire has a $69/m option with 1000GB a month allowance of direct link downloads, so you can bypass their download page. Claims no limit on storage, and I know their network is crazy fast. I'm not a huge fan of these little file storage companies, they tend to come and go, but mediafire seems to be one intent on making sufficient profit to not go anywhere. At least with it your downloaders never have a need for an account.
    MXroute - E-mail Hosting for Your Domain.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    324
    I can see your reasoning for asking about dedicated servers with your specs you are requiring. I would recommend doing more searches then your current 4 you posted above. You are sure to get lots of recommendations off the forum. I would also get direct quotes and find a company that will work with you on this. You should definately get a managed server so you can just focus on your files and clients, rather then the server end of things. I have seen many people on this board that offer lots of help and you will learn lots, as I have by just reading. Another thing you will need is a server you can grow with as your services offered grows. Might even think of getting a couple smaller servers and feeding your files off a couple smaller machines then going with one larger dedicated machine. Not to mention the backup would be a pretty important thing to have included with that amount of space.
    Last edited by bear; 05-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jarland View Post
    Actually that brings me to another thought. Mediafire has a $69/m option with 1000GB a month allowance of direct link downloads, so you can bypass their download page. Claims no limit on storage, and I know their network is crazy fast. I'm not a huge fan of these little file storage companies, they tend to come and go, but mediafire seems to be one intent on making sufficient profit to not go anywhere. At least with it your downloaders never have a need for an account.
    I didn't know about that service of MediaFire. But still in most of the dedicated servers that I listed for this price i can get 2TB or more of storage.
    Thanks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Like jarland said Mediafire's Pro direct links could be an option. The only thing that I have not seen with Mediafire is the "crazy fast network". At least not here in Europe. So for me having your clients download a 4GB file from Mediafire is a no go.
    All the other alternatives like cdn, amazon etc will cost you a lot. So if I was you I would get a dedicated ( after I have spoken and explained to my host about the type of use ). So get a dedicated, disable all the other services and just leave a web server on, to serve your downloads. Try to get something unmetered because your downloads are huge. With just a web server running to serve the downloads, the administration should be absolutely easy. Avoid everything else like mailservers, php, mysql, cpanel etc. Just a web server like apache. nginx etc.

    Other companies offer direct links like hotfile, megaupload etc. It may not look that professional using them but their download speeds are the top you can find and they offer unlimited storage.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederikoo View Post
    How about alvotech? (I'm new so no url, please google)

    I have a VPS there, so I can't tell how well their dservers work, but my VPS works like a charm (i've been there for a few weeks only though)

    EDIT: Just wanted to add that their dservers come with 1TB bandwith at 100mbps then unmetered at 10mps, or you can pay to get more bandwith at 100mbps, as on their website:



    /Fred
    Thanks for the advice. The price is good, I'll read more about It in theyer site.

    Many thanks

  15. #15
    If you're looking for a simple fileserver, perhaps you should take a look at Leaseweb bargain servers. Often, you can find a dedi with 2GB ram, 1TB hard drive, and 5TB of transfer for 23-25 euros a month. The CPU may seem a bit weak but is definitely sufficient for pushing static files over a 100mbit link

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_BR View Post
    Hi.
    I'm looking for a cheap Dedicated Server and hope you guys can help me.
    I have a comapany that produces softwares for many propouses and we want to sell them on internet (we usually sell them in DVDs but selling it on the internet we can reach much more custumers). The files have from 800mb up to 4GB so we need a server with something like 1.5T at least of storage.
    The server will be just to store the files since our website is already done in other server.
    I have found some Dedicated Servers at a very good price but I don't understand nothing about It. So If you can help me with choosing one, or suggesting some more I would be very grateful.
    Here are the Dedicated Servers I Found:

    Interserver

    ATOM 1.6GHz
    Number of cores: 2
    Number of CPU(s): 1
    5 Usable IP Addresses
    1.5TB Hard Drive Space (+$10)
    6000GB Transfer (100Mb Uplink Port)
    1GB Memory
    Unmanaged Support

    Securedserver

    Dual Core G6950
    1GB DDR3
    2TB SATA II (+$30)
    3200GB Transefr (10 MBsUplink)


    Server4You

    AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core,
    4x 2.3 GHz
    8 GB DDR3-RAM
    2x 1,000 GB SATA II-HDD
    Unlimited traffic
    Monthly Payment



    FDCServer

    10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps+ available

    USA or EU location
    Dual Core ATOM
    4GB RAM
    1.5TB HDD

    Like I said before I don't know nothing about Dedicated servers so do you think this are good deals? I will need to pay something extra in the end of the month like traffic exceed or something like that?

    Many Thanks.

    i'd go with:

    Server4You

    AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core,
    4x 2.3 GHz
    8 GB DDR3-RAM
    2x 1,000 GB SATA II-HDD
    Unlimited traffic
    Monthly Payment


    if you dont know anything about dedicated servers, dont be worried. there's not much to know. i'm a regular joe and i setup several high traffic websites with mysql/php/apache on ubuntu. any problem or question you have can be looked up and resolved easily by googling it.

    if you get it managed you are going to pay through the nose.
    i know that fdcservers sounds tempting but you will notice there are a lot of complaints about them. i used them for a while and they ticked me off pretty quickly.

    if you go for a budget server you get what you pay for most of the time.
    i would suggest going out side of the USA if you want a dedicated for a decent price.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    60
    my 2c
    I would revisit the idea of leasing unmanaged server (security updates are important) and installing the right backend to manage the downloads need time. If you decide to go with one, then I would recommend interserver. I've been with interserver for more than a year and they are pretty good (using one of their atoms).

    Cheers,

Similar Threads

  1. Dedicated Server for CS 1.6 UK,Noob here
    By fahad_sikder in forum Game Servers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 06:48 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
  3. Noob needs help!! dedicated server
    By alexzgz in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 06:57 AM
  4. complete noob in need of dedicated server
    By solidsingh in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 09:56 AM
  5. Dedicated Windows Server -> Noob help please?
    By sprockett in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •