Webhost for single page presentation site with downloads of 93 and 122 megabytes

Hello,

I found this site while researching. If you'd prefer to cut to the main questions they are the last 2 paragraphs (the 1st re: thread title).

I've written two music method books which will be in paper format (and probably ebook as well). I attached a sample of the first contents page of one of the books. They include audio tracks but I'm not going to include a CD, instead they will be downloadable off the internet. A CD would limit the distribution options hardly any P(rint)O(n)D(emand) / distributers have processes that allow for it and few publishers either (which I have chosen not to bother approaching in the first place).

The domain printed in the book needs to be future proof of course because once it is printed that can't change. There are 42 mp3's at 93 megabytes for one book and 60 mp3's at 122 megabytes for the other. Each would need to be available as one download in zip as well as original format. I've asked a couple of filehosts that I would be interested in using (mediafire and divshare) but to my slight (or moderate? not sure mmmmm) suprise they can't offer numerous files as one download. Mediafire can do this but only in zip and divshare in their reply said they are working towards offering this.

If I used a file host I would have to hotlink it to a simple single page presentation site I make with a webhost. Doing the whole thing with a webhost is another option regaring the relatively small file sizes? I have asked a few and seem to get mixed messages, most of them say they can. As I am not a customer the replies only last so far (1...or maybe 2) before maybe they interpret my lack of knowledge on the subject as not worth answering as it should be obvious (although not to me).

My question is should I use a webhost for this purpose? I doubt I would get more than 300 downloads a month, if even that, but it could rise and maybe I need to be covered for potential that it does? I'm thinking of FatCow webhost, are they good?

Also is future proofing the domain (that will be printed in the book) as simple as buying the longest term available and keeping on top of renewing it?

any advice much appreciated,
    Attached Files Attached Files

First let me say that when looking for a web host, try to stay away from web hosts that claim to offer unlimited diskspace. Here are some web hosts that offer realitistic web hosting packages that I have found during the past year to get nothing but positive reviews from thier clientel here on WHT..

Stablehost, Mddhosting, Hawkhost, Downtownhost

Lastly, I definitely recommend uploading your files to a free file host and then linking the download files to the page you create on your web hosting account. You will save disk-space and bandwidth this way (which is always a plus).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    I definitely recommend uploading your files to a free file host and then linking the download files to the page you create on your web hosting account. You will save disk-space and bandwidth this way (which is always a plus).
    I too suggest you file hosting instead of normal hosting, Mddhosting and Hawkhost are well known here.
    Web Hosting Pakistan. Affordable and Reliable Web Hosting Services by FMEOS.PK
    Professional website designing and web development services.
    Pakistan web Hosting, Domain Registration and Web Designing Services.

Daft idea to buy commercial hosting and then use free file hosting services for your files. Just buy hosting from any reputable provider and host all your files with them. Avoid free file hosting services.

Will you be portraying anything else other than a download?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

In answer to Sparrow-Shean yes the site will be presentional as well. Just one page with the downloads is the priority at the moment, more detail and info on a 3rd book (with no audio) eventually. Sorry all if I didn't make that as clear in my 1st post.

FernGullyGraphics thanks for the advice and recommendations, will look into them. Yes I've heard to avoid webhosts that claim unlimited. Linking the download files from a file host to a presentational site was on my mind to save bandwidth. I'd be more inclined to use a paid file host service as I don't want someone buying my book then the fault being on my end for them not able to down load the files any more than for a couple of minutes at worse. Unfortunately only mediafire seem able to offer all tracks as one download but only as zip not original mp3 format.

Websitethemes do you mean to buy hosting from a webhost provider? that's the direction I'm heading in my choice recently if the 93 and 122 meg file sizes at 300 downloads per month (estimate) at most isn't much in todays terms. The bandwidth allowance on the recommended hosts like MDD appear more than ample for my needs if I'm reading it right with my limited knowledge (but learning) at mo. I guess unlimited is to be avoided because theres nothing to stop anyone exceeding the servers capability and cuasing problems, whereas with a limit it's already calculated for.
    Last edited by Arpeggio; 05-11-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post

Websitethemes do you mean to buy hosting from a webhost provider? that's the direction I'm heading in my choice recently if the 93 and 122 meg file sizes at 300 downloads per month (estimate) at most isn't much in todays terms. The bandwidth allowance on the recommended hosts like MDD appear more than ample for my needs if I'm reading it right with my limited knowledge (but learning) at mo. I guess unlimited is to be avoided because theres nothing to stop anyone exceeding the servers capability and cuasing problems, whereas with a limit it's already calculated for.
    Its a drop in the bucket in today's terms. So buy hosting and use it for your files as well as your web page(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    Its a drop in the bucket in today's terms. So buy hosting and use it for your files as well as your web page(s).
    Good, will do that.

Actually this would be considered a download farm... thus regular hosting would not allow this. File Hosting is more like the way to go.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

oh, so thats based on definition not so much that my file sizes are very small in relation? MDD's basic plan as 240Gig a month bandwidth. The file host divshare has 200 GB Downloads/month. With mediafire bronze plan its 100 Gig a month.

I'm guessing it's smaller on file hosts because its more likely to reach the limit, but not as much with just hosting a website hence the higher limit for webhosts? Probably best to ask the webhost before hand?

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Actually this would be considered a download farm... thus regular hosting would not allow this. File Hosting is more like the way to go.
    Why do you say this? Sounds like the OP has ~100 mp3s that he's created himself. Offering those for download/purchase is hardly download farm.

As info, I have over 2,000 .mp3 files (all are public-domain archives of an Internet show, archived with their knowledge/conent). It's on shared hosting and the provider has never complained.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    Why do you say this? Sounds like the OP has ~100 mp3s that he's created himself. Offering those for download/purchase is hardly download farm.

As info, I have over 2,000 .mp3 files (all are public-domain archives of an Internet show, archived with their knowledge/conent). It's on shared hosting and the provider has never complained.
    I have to agree on this, as long as you don't exceed your traffic limits you should not have any problems with regular hosting. If you start exceeding it go for a hosting plan made for file sharing.
    One2Host.eu - Hosting solutions
    Email hosting - Shared hosting - Reseller - VPS - Dedicated servers
    Linux Servers - Plesk - MySQL/php - 24/7 servermonitoring - More than 150 one-click installation applications - Money back guarantee
    Twitter: @one2host

Get a cheap-but-good host for the site/page ---

--- but get a Dropbox account for the downloads.

That's what I would do, in this situation.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Get a cheap-but-good host for the site/page ---

--- but get a Dropbox account for the downloads.

That's what I would do, in this situation.
    That is not a good idea. Dropbox will terminate your account if you try to use it as a free CDN.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/45
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

If you need small space then don't go for unlimited plans and pay more.
    You will find verious limited plan like 100 to 1gb for $1-2/ per month.
    There are also many Indian hosting companies don't offer unlimited plans and give only limited

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    That is not a good idea. Dropbox will terminate your account if you try to use it as a free CDN.
    Only if you surpass 10GB/day. Look at the OP's requirement one more time.
    It's far, far below that threshold.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thanks for the advice, am much closer to making decision now than before I started the thread. If I could upload mp3 on here I'd put one of the tracks on and rock your socks off. Once the site is done I'll probably link it here anyway.
    Last edited by Arpeggio; 05-12-2011 at 05:50 AM.