Question Layer 2 switch with 4K active VLANs?

Hey there...

I'm looking for a layer 2 switch that can forward up to 4K VLANs. Now, I've seen many data sheets that say "Number of VLANs: 4,096", but when you actually try to configure more than 1024 VLANs, it will barf. What the data sheet probably means is, the VLAN ID can go up to 4096. An example of this is the Juniper EX3200. Data sheet says 4K VLANs are supported, but you will get this error from JunOS: "Maximum number of vlans cannot exceed 1024, including <default> vlan"

So I can't be certain from just reading the specs...

Right now, the candidates I've found are: HP E4210-48G (claims "4094 simultaneous VLANs"), Juniper EX4200-48T (not sure if this will error out just like the EX3200), and Extreme Networks Summit X350-48T.

On the Cisco side, the only switches that actually do 4K active VLANs are 4900 (I think), 4500 (yes), and 6500 (yes).

I have a 4500 and can confirm this is true. But I'd like the next switch I buy that supports 4K active VLANs to be less than 7U and also under $5K

Any suggestions?
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers Colocation IP Transit
    Native IPv6 VNC Console Tunnel VNC over SSH Serial Console over SSH DNS Manager

hi .
    The 4900 can support 2k valid VLANS and 4K VLAN ID. The 4500(yes), 6500(yes)

More details i will send to your e-mail, ok?
    Daisy Hsiang
    Shenzhen Changyu Times Technology Co,.Ltd
    MSN:[email protected]

I have the older Cisco switch guide that says the 4900 does 2K active / 4K IDs, but the newer guide claims 4K active / 4K IDs.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps

Is this for a rack switch or what? Why so many vlan's garry?
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

It's an edge switch for VM hosts. Each customer on my network gets one VLAN, so lots of customers == lots of VLANs.

Quote Originally Posted by garrycc View Post
    It's an edge switch for VM hosts. Each customer on my network gets one VLAN, so lots of customers == lots of VLANs.

Very good, carry on..
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

I'd rather not add a second tier before I really have to. The Cisco 4500, which is my primary, can do 4K VLANs no problem, so I planned to use up all 4K before going second tier.