VPS.net cloud hosting -- fair share or isolated containers?

Hi all,

I've noticed that VPS.net have recently went public with their cloud hosting packages. Does anyone know if the platform is fair share based or if one gets an isolated pool of ressource (a la CloudLinux LVE)?

In addition, I'd like to know how much cpu power is allocated to the small package (i.e. 25K visitors per month), preferably in ECU or passmarks.

Thanks,

Kasper
    Last edited by Orien; 05-11-2011 at 03:01 AM.

The best person to answer this question, would be a member of their sales staff... I would suggest contacting them directly and asking.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The best person to answer this question, would be a member of their sales staff... I would suggest contacting them directly and asking.
    In my experience it's become exceedingly difficult to get clear answers on transparent cpu allocations from sales representatives from cloud providers.

In most cases I've been able to get faster and 98% more concrete & correct answers here on webhostingtalk.

Sadly, but true.

I'm looking forward to seeing more iniatives like CloudHarmony shed light on what we're actually buying when we're buying cloud packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bergholt View Post
    Hi all,

I've noticed that VPS.net have recently went public with their cloud hosting packages. Does anyone know if the platform is fair share based or if one gets an isolated pool of ressource (a la CloudLinux LVE)?

In addition, I'd like to know how much cpu power is allocated to the small package (i.e. 25K visitors per month), preferably in ECU or passmarks.

Thanks,

Kasper
    Kasper,

To answer your question, each site has fair share of the resources available. While the underlying operating system powering our Cloud Hosting packages is CloudLinux, we have disabled LVE. We're able to guarantee high performance as our cloud hosting packages are based off the same cloud infrastructure our VPS services use, meaning we're able to easily scale servers. By using this system we can keep the customer density per server extremely low, while having ample resources to provide to growing sites. In case of a traffic burst on a site, we have the scalability our cloud system provides to immediately add resources without requiring a single bit of downtime.

Regarding ECU or passmarks, feel free to send in a ticket and our sales department should be able to provide you with that information. Ryan Williams did provide a bit of fairly good performance information in this thread here.

Feel free to ask away - I understand this is a fairly new product offering to the market. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have, and I certainly look forward to any feedback you're able to provide.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-11-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGobyTerry View Post
    Kasper,

To answer your question, each site has fair share of the resources available. While the underlying operating system powering our Cloud Hosting packages is CloudLinux, we have disabled LVE. We're able to guarantee high performance as our cloud hosting packages are based off the same cloud infrastructure our VPS services use, meaning we're able to easily scale servers. By using this system we can keep the customer density per server extremely low, while having ample resources to provide to growing sites. In case of a traffic burst on a site, we have the scalability our cloud system provides to immediately add resources without requiring a single bit of downtime.

Regarding ECU or passmarks, feel free to send in a ticket and our sales department should be able to provide you with that information. Ryan Williams did provide a bit of fairly good performance information in this thread here.

Feel free to ask away - I understand this is a fairly new product offering to the market. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have, and I certainly look forward to any feedback you're able to provide.
    If no isolated environments exist, it doesn't really make sense to talk about ECU / passmarks per account.

The thread you refer to has some really good points regarding the lack of price vs. resource use transparency and isolation, I think:

"Other facts of interest are that the control panel seems to be an extremely stripped-down version of cPanel, and the pricing seems to be based primarily around 'visitors per month'. This is a fairly ambiguous metric that I'd like to know more about because there's a huge difference in server resources between 25k static content hits and 25k inefficient dynamic page hits, and

I'd be pretty annoyed if I knew I was paying the same per hit as someone else who is thrashing VPS.net's resources in comparison — chances are lots of people with weighty sites will be attracted by the service and this will mean either prices will have to go up across the board or global performance will degrade (see Mosso/RackSpace Cloud Sites for reference).

I'll be disappointed if they're using something as broad as server hits to gauge pricing, especially considering the price you pay to, say, serve 125k hits rather than 25k (the lowest plan)."

It's of course going to happen that there's going to be some people with static index.html hits, and others with Drupal. But this is a product which will be used by thousands, and in the end, it'll all average out into one average hit.

The 25,000 is a guideline, our internal policy here is that we will take the top 5% users (who are over the threshold) and we'll contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    It's of course going to happen that there's going to be some people with static index.html hits, and others with Drupal. But this is a product which will be used by thousands, and in the end, it'll all average out into one average hit.

The 25,000 is a guideline, our internal policy here is that we will take the top 5% users (who are over the threshold) and we'll contact them.
    Hmm... Wordpress plugins run amok all the time.

Why not utilize the LVE technology?

Do you keep the different account types on the same cloud nodes?

Quote Originally Posted by bergholt View Post
    Hmm... Wordpress plugins run amok all the time.

Why not utilize the LVE technology?

Do you keep the different account types on the same cloud nodes?
    Utilizing the LVE somewhat prohibits us from accomplishing our goal, which is to provide an easy to use solution for high traffic websites. While there are some customizations we could make to the resource limitations inside of the container, we felt it was better uncap the usage and instead offer users the capability to fully burst, especially when considering our ability to dynamically add resources to the server on the fly.

There are other tracking mechanisms which we have put in place that will monitor resource consumption to determine whether it is legitimate, or a problem with a script when a user begins to take up a considerable amount of resources.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-11-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Following the recent vps.net SAN issues, is their shared cloud hosting affected?

In a chat with vps.net support yesterday, the person mentioned 100% uptime last month but could not provide a link to a public Pingdom report or similar tool. Could some clients confirm/disagree on this figure?

Anyone is using it lately? Is it stable?