"Reliable" hosting services - 6 month review

I've had a LOT of people ask me who I was dealing with in this thread, so, the title of the thread says it all. Here's a quick recap for those that don't want to read that full thread.

In November of last year (11/18) to be precise, I moved from a one man show to what I thought would be a more professional provider. Truth be told, I was better off with a one man show, as this thread will show very quickly.

My first ticket with these guys was answered promptly and professionally, probably the ONLY ticket out of 12 that was done so. Of course, it was a mere question, being
    Do you offer remote reboots for this server
    Pretty simple and straightforward, and I got a reply within 5 minutes. After that though, it goes all downhill from there.

In 6 months, 12 tickets were submitted to this company. They range from simple (the first one) to complicated (more later). The shortest response time (I'm talking initial response)? 3 minutes. The longest? 19 hours (on a Tuesday, no less)! Average (high priority) ticket initial response? 3 hours. It turns out that this company is two individuals, brothers, who apparently have much more important things to do than to respond to customers, or provide quality service whatsoever.

Over the course of 6 months, there were 2 hardware failures, both hard drives, BOTH took unacceptably long to get fixed.
    In the first one (less than a month after ordering), the initial response was 20 minutes, and this took 7 hours to simply get in there and replace a drive, because the individual doing so refused to listen to what I said, insisting on doing things his own way, costing me time and money.

In the second one (less than a month ago), the initial response was over an hour away, and that was simply "I've told the system to ignore the mount". Hey, at least the system's up, forget the drive, right? This one took better than 24 hours to get an acceptable resolution to, unfortunately

Just last week, the system threw a fit on a kernel upgrade (GRUB couldn't find an OS, needed reinstalled), causing it not to come back up. Time to initial response? 2 hours. Yes, 2 hours, and that's only confirming that the system is down, telling me why. Time to resolution (I couldn't login, they had to do this)? Just over 4 hours.

As you can see, when it comes to support, they're GREAT at the small stuff, but when it needs to be something larger (as, oddly enough, it often does with this company), forget a reasonable response time.

In 6 months, 5 tickets were submitted due to network issues. 2 of them DDOS, 2 due to APC functionality (APC not responding, which happened more often than not), one due to major lag. NOT a good sign for a 'reliable' hosting company at all.

This company has proven to be 'reliable' allright. They're reliably slow on support, they put out reliable hardware (if you consider hardware failures reliable), they have a reliably bad network, and their internal networks (VPN/reboot/KVM) are even worse. The attitude of the support staff is that the customer is always wrong, and they're unapologetic about their own issues. In fact, in my first 'network issue' ticket, the individual went as far as to claim it was my own server causing the lag (when, I couldn't even trace to THEIR servers or network).

Stay as far away from this company as possible,unless you enjoy pulling your hair out because of incompetent staff, poor hardware, and flat out horrible service in general!
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    I've had a LOT of people ask me who I was dealing with in this thread, so, the title of the thread says it all. Here's a quick recap for those that don't want to read that full thread.

In November of last year (11/18) to be precise, I moved from a one man show to what I thought would be a more professional provider. Truth be told, I was better off with a one man show, as this thread will show very quickly.

My first ticket with these guys was answered promptly and professionally, probably the ONLY ticket out of 12 that was done so. Of course, it was a mere question, being

Pretty simple and straightforward, and I got a reply within 5 minutes. After that though, it goes all downhill from there.

In 6 months, 12 tickets were submitted to this company. They range from simple (the first one) to complicated (more later). The shortest response time (I'm talking initial response)? 3 minutes. The longest? 19 hours (on a Tuesday, no less)! Average (high priority) ticket initial response? 3 hours. It turns out that this company is two individuals, brothers, who apparently have much more important things to do than to respond to customers, or provide quality service whatsoever.

Over the course of 6 months, there were 2 hardware failures, both hard drives, BOTH took unacceptably long to get fixed.
    In the first one (less than a month after ordering), the initial response was 20 minutes, and this took 7 hours to simply get in there and replace a drive, because the individual doing so refused to listen to what I said, insisting on doing things his own way, costing me time and money.

In the second one (less than a month ago), the initial response was over an hour away, and that was simply "I've told the system to ignore the mount". Hey, at least the system's up, forget the drive, right? This one took better than 24 hours to get an acceptable resolution to, unfortunately

Just last week, the system threw a fit on a kernel upgrade (GRUB couldn't find an OS, needed reinstalled), causing it not to come back up. Time to initial response? 2 hours. Yes, 2 hours, and that's only confirming that the system is down, telling me why. Time to resolution (I couldn't login, they had to do this)? Just over 4 hours.

As you can see, when it comes to support, they're GREAT at the small stuff, but when it needs to be something larger (as, oddly enough, it often does with this company), forget a reasonable response time.

In 6 months, 5 tickets were submitted due to network issues. 2 of them DDOS, 2 due to APC functionality (APC not responding, which happened more often than not), one due to major lag. NOT a good sign for a 'reliable' hosting company at all.

This company has proven to be 'reliable' allright. They're reliably slow on support, they put out reliable hardware (if you consider hardware failures reliable), they have a reliably bad network, and their internal networks (VPN/reboot/KVM) are even worse. The attitude of the support staff is that the customer is always wrong, and they're unapologetic about their own issues. In fact, in my first 'network issue' ticket, the individual went as far as to claim it was my own server causing the lag (when, I couldn't even trace to THEIR servers or network).

Stay as far away from this company as possible,unless you enjoy pulling your hair out because of incompetent staff, poor hardware, and flat out horrible service in general!
    I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with RHS. I've pointed out quite a few issues and they've fixed all promptly.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Thumbs up

I too have had no issues with Reliable Hosting Services. I chose them because of the ability to upgrade my server for one off fees rather than monthly recurring fees!

Higly recommended.

At any provider if uptime is important you should be using RAID. Sounds like you were unlucky with 2 bad drives at separate times, but with a RAID array you probably wouldn't of had any downtime. Get what you pay for (no RAID), hard drives die every day.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Sorry to hear your experience. As there are mixed responses in this thread one might say it is your bad luck. But I could not say anything regarding the response time. It would be frustrating when we do not receive the agreed level of support with in guaranteed response time. In this case I would definitely like to hear some thing from the provider if they have a representative here. Seems they have one representative here.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    At any provider if uptime is important you should be using RAID. Sounds like you were unlucky with 2 bad drives at separate times, but with a RAID array you probably wouldn't of had any downtime. Get what you pay for (no RAID), hard drives die every day.
    Yeah. You get what you pay for.. I haven't any experience with dedicated servers with them.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals