Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joe's DC Sales - Lack of Response

Has anyone heard a peep from Joe's DC sales within the past few weeks?

We emailed them about 2 weeks ago requesting a quote for a setup that is not available through their normal ordering site. After no response, we sent a follow-up, but still haven't been contacted.

Reading the reviews around here indicated that Joe's DC was a pretty decent budget place to colo at. We don't need a super-awesome setup, just a place to pop some servers down for awhile.

Since they're not responding, maybe someone could shed some light as to what's going on over there, or even better, if there's a comparably priced colo DC in Kansas City that you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardon View Post
    Since they're not responding, maybe someone could shed some light as to what's going on over there, or even better, if there's a comparably priced colo DC in Kansas City that you could recommend?
    If Joe's isn't responding I'd suggest wholesaleinternet. Pricing should be same/similar.

last time I've emailed them asking for a quote it took them something like 2 weeks to get back to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
    If Joe's isn't responding I'd suggest wholesaleinternet. Pricing should be same/similar.
    and it's the same building

we tried working with him, it was a joke....very unresponsive

like wholesaleinternet
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
    I've looked at them, but the pricing isn't quite the same. 500gb vs. JDC's 2TB bandwidth, as well as double the cost for a power/network drop. That's a $20/mo difference over Joe's for the drops alone, not to mention the bandwidth increase we might need.

I've looked at them, but the pricing isn't quite the same. 500gb vs. JDC's 2TB bandwidth, as well as double the cost for a power/network drop. That's a $20/mo difference over Joe's for the drops alone, not to mention the bandwidth increase we might need.
    I'd email Aaron directly. Was with them for a year on this plan listed below. An additional power or network drop for $10 is cheap for me.

Single 120v Power feed
    Single Ethernet drop
    10Mbit Unmetered or 2000GB of transfer per month
    5 IPs on a private VLAN (IPv4)
    FREE DirectAdmin License
    /64 of IPv6 addresses available (roughly 18 quintillion addresses)

FREE SETUP - $40 per month

Quote Originally Posted by quotecolo View Post
    we tried working with him, it was a joke....very unresponsive

like wholesaleinternet
    That is the downside to a basically 1-man show.

But, for that much for that cheap, what do you expect?

I'm not sure where you're seeing the 500GB. If you could let me know I could get that corrected.

Our current colo offerings include 2000GB or 10Mbits Unmetered.

It's at the very bottom of the page here:

http://www.wholesaleinternet.com/colocation.php

If you want to cite and add and get a better deal you can look here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=991537
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    I'm not sure where you're seeing the 500GB. If you could let me know I could get that corrected.
    Aaron I take it he saw that offer on the front page of your website. Under server specials with a link to the colo page it says the following:

Single Server Special
    Single Server or 4U with 500GB transfer
    $50 per month Click For More Info

Edit: Also under dedicated servers on your navigation bar this plan is listed in the scrolling text.
    Last edited by Jason K; 05-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post

If you want to cite and add and get a better deal you can look here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=991537
    Aaron, what is the cheapest way to ship a server down to you from Toronto, Canada?

Do you have a network download test file?

Also, how long do you take to install the server from the time u get it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yosi View Post
    Aaron, what is the cheapest way to ship a server down to you from Toronto, Canada?
    Hi Yosi,

I've been shipping few servers to Joe's in the past couple days from Quebec, Canada. You're looking at no less than $65 CAD per box using Canada Post Expedited (Canada Post forces you to use their Expedited service due to size and weight). Based on online quotes, UPS and Purolator seems even more expensive. At least, they do get there in 4 business days.

I know Joe and Aaron use the same building, But do either of them utilize backup generators due to the type of building their in?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Wholesale does have a backup generator, and aside from a minor power issue due to maintenance a couple months back, service over there is solid. Not sure about Joes though, didn't see one listed on the website, but still may exist.

from their previous maintenance work I know Joe's generator can only work for 15mins before shutting down

Quote Originally Posted by dot_txt View Post
    Wholesale does have a backup generator, and aside from a minor power issue due to maintenance a couple months back, service over there is solid. Not sure about Joes though, didn't see one listed on the website, but still may exist.
    seems like the same thing happened to Joe's. for a generator that can work only for 15 mins is a joke. however you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by dot_txt View Post
    Where is the generator based, Because their both based in the tower oak building which is a high-rise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Tower

Unless the generator is based within the datacenter and some fume extraction system is in place and they carry the fuel in the lift to the generator on the datacenter floor, Which is highly unlikely, Do they have some tanks on the ground floor and run fuel pipes to the generator...

Do they even have one?

Quote Originally Posted by SirMarcel View Post
    from their previous maintenance work I know Joe's generator can only work for 15mins before shutting down
    That would be power from the UPS system and not power from a generator
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-11-2011 at 10:03 AM.

http://wholesaleinternet.com/power.php

Secondary and temporary power is supplied by UPS battery systems in the power room. We have sufficient UPS battery strength to assure continuity of power to the entire colocation and dedicated server facility. In addition, a separate UPS system maintains all critical networking infrastructure.

Third and final backup power comes from a 400 kilowatt diesel generator. Fuel access points on the ground level of the building allow us to refuel the generator tanks at any time. The generator can be run indefinitely to supply power to the facility.

Ahh, Thanks for that, But how do they vent the generator?

Generators need maintenance (Oil changes, etc) plus they generate fumes from an exhaust... I,d be interest to know how they do this

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    Unless the generator is based within the datacenter and some fume extraction system is in place and they carry the fuel in the lift to the generator on the datacenter floor, Which is highly unlikely
    It's actually quite common to have generators located inside tall buildings in such a manner, with fueling fixtures located wherever is most convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
    It's actually quite common to have generators located inside tall buildings in such a manner, with fueling fixtures located wherever is most convenient.
    I have no doubts, But am interested in how Aaron vents it and how the exhausting is worked

A 400 kilowatt generator is not something you can take up to the datacenter floor in a lift, I wonder how he managed to get it into the datacenter, Unless they used a crane and took it through a window or something.
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-11-2011 at 01:13 PM.

I'm interested in this also, would be good to know how they've managed that.

^^ It's not uncommon to have generators indoors for highrises. They pipe the exhaust out the side or top of the building and have a good fresh air source for the intake. With the exhaust routed outside the engine itself isn't going to emit anything except noise into the building. How it got into the building varies...could be during construction or via underground parking garage, ect...
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    ^^ It's not uncommon to have generators indoors for highrises. They pipe the exhaust out the side or top of the building and have a good fresh air source for the intake. With the exhaust routed outside the engine itself isn't going to emit anything except noise into the building. How it got into the building varies...could be during construction or via underground parking garage, ect...
    Am not an expert on the oak tower building, But a 500kva generator isnt small, thats for sure

Really, Considering that one their is 4500x1500x2200mm And weighs 3780kg

Thats likes 3.5ton - I know I couldnt carry that for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast