Thread: CDN ?

CDN ?

Hi there,

I have been looking for a dedicated server with good bandwidth to host my site's static content.
    I am not getting much traffic now, just about 5TB per month - but this is already maxing out what i am paying for.
    So i was thinking to offload this to another server and also take advantage of these 100 TB showing up recently.

I was looking at 100TB.com terms and conditions and they say:

d. (...)we will not provide Services to those that are using our Services for:
    (...)
    Using the Services for a content delivery network or content distribution network (CDN).

Also thinking leaseweb:

No CDN or Media Streaming. Customer shall not be entitled to use the Service for the purpose of (i) operating ‘Content Delivery Network’; and/or (ii) ‘Streaming Media Services’; except with LeaseWeb’s prior written consent, which consent may be granted or withheld at LeaseWeb’s sole discretion.

I don't think i ever gonna use that much of bandwidth, but it seems bizarre to me as you probably can account CDN as anything...

So what do you think they mean by this ?

Can i host images there, but when i decide to buy another server in US and mirror the content is it then going to be considered as CDN ?

Just would like to know where is the line here.

Cheers,
    elcct

There are plenty of 100tb bandwidth providers who can allow CDN. Alternatively i would recommend to go with a host who can offer 10-15tb on 1gbps port and host all your images/static contents there.

Quote Originally Posted by elcct View Post

I was looking at 100TB.com terms and conditions and they say:

d. (...)we will not provide Services to those that are using our Services for:
    (...)
    Using the Services for a content delivery network or content distribution network (CDN).
    ...Our ToS goes on to say (next line):

Special requests to use the Services to run a CDN network may be approved on a case-by-case basis.

I imagine it's the same at other named hosts - you should contact sales/info - I'm going to bet you'll get the necessary replies from them.

General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

Excuse me but 100TB ( Thomas ) do you consider the OP's future setup a CDN network?
    I did not know Leaseweb does not allow streaming media!!!
    I guess they don't want you to build BitGravity (LOL) on their boxes and they don't mean the cases like the OP's. If not that's bad...really.

elcct your future setup has nothing to do with a real cdn!!! Talk to them...if they want to hear they'll earn your money. If not there are many out there that will host you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    ...Our ToS goes on to say (next line):

Special requests to use the Services to run a CDN network may be approved on a case-by-case basis.

I imagine it's the same at other named hosts - you should contact sales/info - I'm going to bet you'll get the necessary replies from them.

Same with us. Thomas is correct .

You need to contact us by email to use LeaseWeb 100TB packages for CDN. We will decide on a case by case basis. You certainly can use other packages we offer for CDN purposes without conditions.
    Last edited by LeaseWeb; 05-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaseWeb View Post
    Same with us. You need to contact us. We decide based on your proposal.
    Seriously...I have no comments! Proposal?

All these conditions are confusing for the customer and are not made clear enough.

I would prefer a system where the total usage cannot exceed 1000TB or something across all your servers. This will stop 'abusers' and prevent disputes where the provider and client have differing ideas of what is acceptable usage. What possible legit uses are there of 100TB apart from content distribution/streaming, I can't think of any??

That is exactly my point...

They try to make it impossible to get what their marketing dep/boss told them to offer. They also don't want you to become competitive using their own services, since they offer themselves a wide range of services.

In any case I couldn't care less about how they do business. It's just that sometimes it is important to make more visible some ways/attitude of certain people. I doubt they'll reply here any more. They just don't want to make more obvious that they use terminology like CDN in their unique way and only according to their interests. But sincerely...I couldn't care less.

Hello elcct,

You are correct to say that CDN is almost anything. Even in your example, it could be considered a CDN however, when you really consider a CDN it usually comprises of 3 or more nodes. So you bouncing an image off 1 node to another isn't that much of a CDN but more like a load balancer.

Also if you're really looking at CDN then it would be having a prewritten script where it would detect customers and ping time and etc to get the fastest server and connect to it. Having that in mind, it really makes it easy for them to figure out which is really a CDN and which is just a mirror server.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

'CDN' just means any customer causing the host to operate at a significant loss.

This could be using gigabits of expensive routes or reselling services which compete with the hosts higher margin products.

Thanks aodat2

I still doesn't make much sense to me.
    If i buy a server in US with different company and my web application detects that the user is coming from US and then serve static files from us location by just eg changing urls to us.something.com, shouldn't that make both hosts happy that i am in the end using less traffic (in the sense that they can oversell). I don't think i would buy unmetered connection anyway, cause i don't have that budget.

Looking at leaseweb case, their cheapest 100TB server is for 139 eur and the flat 1gbps connection is for 899 eur, so that means 100TB bandwidth is sold below the cost - they should be happy for not using it to the max.

Also 100TB.com sells additional traffic for $200/TB (http://www.100tb.com/tos.php)

So yeah, like few mentioned, sounds like they really don't want people to use it

"CDN" use tends to be really bursty, and also very intensive. So there are two problems, one is that the user is more likely to use more bandwidth on a monthly basis (losing money for the host), and the other is that their traffic pattern is more likely to be erratic (causing performance problems for other customers and increased cost for the host). If you're looking to use 5tb / mo, you could probably go with any host that offers a metered service on a 100 or 1000 megabit port. Or even 100tb most likely. I mean, the reason for not allowing "CDN" has little to do with the CDN portion itself and more to do with the data transfer. Since you're only looking to use about 1/20th what they allow, it would probably be fine.

On the other hand, why pay for a "100tb" server if you're only doing 5tb? A box pushing static content of say, small images, is going to be limited by disk i/o more than anything else, and disk upgrades at 100tb are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off at a host that offers 10tb or 20tb or 100 meg unmetered, and cheaper server upgrades.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    On the other hand, why pay for a "100tb" server if you're only doing 5tb? A box pushing static content of say, small images, is going to be limited by disk i/o more than anything else, and disk upgrades at 100tb are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off at a host that offers 10tb or 20tb or 100 meg unmetered, and cheaper server upgrades.
    I am thinking future - changing servers is not something you would like to do often and as i see my traffic is doubling every few weeks and also i have a few upcoming projects on the plate so that will add.

Talking about traffic patterns, if you have entertainment sites, you never know what / when something will go viral and i from time to time do experience peaks.

Disk i/o is not much of a problem yet, as most of the content can be served from ram.

If the total quantity of content is low, then sure, go ahead and get a server with at least 8gb ram and a huge b/w allotment, and let the linux disk cache do its work.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com