Switching VPS hosts! Best one for me?

Okay, so I have been looking around the forums for the past day or two and it looks like these types of threads are okay even though they're asked a lot as every situation is different. Here I go..

I currently use HostV VPS VZ1 and I have been for at least 3-4 years. It's the only host I've ever used and in the past it's had issues with down time and customer support. It's gotten better but I feel like for what I'm paying I should be getting better performance and customer service. I used to be on a shared server and after I upgraded, the performance was basically the same.

Needs (some of these can be adjusted)
    RAM: 512+
    Burstable Ram: 1gb
    Disk Space: 40+ at least
    -full root access
    -SSH
    -ecommerce, shopping carts are a plus
    -help in transferring from my current vps
    -cPanel
    -WHM - or an equivalent. I currently use WHM and any other tool that does the same thing is fine.
    -Virtuozzo?

I'm still a newbie at the whole VPS thing and I'm a bit confused about the "power panel" "cpanel" "whm" stuff..are they all the same or?

-reseller capability (not a deal breaker)
    Budget: $45/month maximum

This is for a few blogs I run and a lot of software and database stuff. A lot of Moodle stuff, wordpress and open source software. Some are production sites and some will be me testing, installing, removing. A lot of development. A lot of creations of databases and queries to the databases.

I consult for web stuff and often times use my VPS to show clients things. For the future I can see a lot more software production sites like Moodle for customers I consult with.

I am looking a lot at InMotion Hosting. I've seen some good reviews of it. What do you think?

Another question is has anyone used cirtex/hostv? Since I have only used this one host I can't compare it to anything else. The last thing I want to do is leave it and find out woops this one is even worse!

Thank you so much for any help! I need to renew or cancel by 5/22!

You can give Knownhost a try. You won't be disappointed

Check out VPSLatch their M1024 package fits your requirements like a dream

http://www.vpslatch.net/vps.html

Knowhost: So it's $5/month on top of the package for the cpanel/whm?

VpsLatch: So there are two control panels - cpanel the more light weight one for each account? And the WHM which is the powerful one, having to do with the server?

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

Yes $5 more, but KH is worth the money i believe You can just do a search here and read the reviews on your own.

KnownHost....no contest!

What does KnowHost do that others don't?

Quote Originally Posted by melbs View Post
    Hello Sir,

I want to suggest you to chose XEN, it will provide you dedicated resources, so you will satisfied what you payed..
    and use cpanel.. and any hosting company will move your account to your vps free of cost...

Please take a look to VPS offer then you will know everything..

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    WaQas.

Super Customer Support? Good Network, Powerful machines... Now i sound like i am promoting them! But seriously i use them and i hardly need to do anything at all.

Thumbs up

Okay, so I have been looking around the forums for the past day or two and it looks like these types of threads are okay even though they're asked a lot as every situation is different. Here I go..

I currently use HostV VPS VZ1 and I have been for at least 3-4 years. It's the only host I've ever used and in the past it's had issues with down time and customer support. It's gotten better but I feel like for what I'm paying I should be getting better performance and customer service. I used to be on a shared server and after I upgraded, the performance was basically the same.

-full root access
    -SSH
    -cPanel
    -WHM - or an equivalent. I currently use WHM and any other tool that does the same thing is fine.
    -Virtuozzo?

I'm still a newbie at the whole VPS thing and I'm a bit confused about the "power panel" "cpanel" "whm" stuff..are they all the same or?

This is for a few blogs I run and a lot of software and database stuff. A lot of Moodle stuff, wordpress and open source software. Some are production sites and some will be me testing, installing, removing. A lot of development. A lot of creations of databases and queries to the databases.

I consult for web stuff and often times use my VPS to show clients things. For the future I can see a lot more software production sites like Moodle for customers I consult with.

I am looking a lot at InMotion Hosting. I've seen some good reviews of it. What do you think?

Another question is has anyone used cirtex/hostv? Since I have only used this one host I can't compare it to anything else. The last thing I want to do is leave it and find out woops this one is even worse!

I've heard good things about HostV.

The only way you will ultimately find out if another host is "better" would be to actually sign up for the service. Contact their customer service department prior to signing up - you will get a feel for support times and their level of customer service. Ask them the questions you had here and see what their responses are.

Many companies offer a "trial" period or a time frame (usually 14-30 days) for a refund if you are unhappy with their service.

Whatever host you decide on, look for reviews here on WHT. Remember though - people tend to write a review when service is unsatisfactory or they are displeased - so take the reviews "with a grain of salt."

Once you find more companies just submit a list here and you will see some feedback from either the company themselves or from folks who have actually used them.

Good luck!
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

-full root access
    -SSH
    -cPanel
    -Virtuozzo?

Please let me know a past ticket number or your account information and we can get you moved to a new node if you are having issues.
    Last edited by MichelleH; 05-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

How much time you got?

does knownhost offer lower cost un-managed VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by subq View Post
    does knownhost offer lower cost un-managed VPS?
    They're unmanaged if you don't order a control panel. So I guess, save $5 and get an unmanaged VPS.

I agree with the above poster who recommend VPSLatch, it seems HostDime has turned the company around and is providing a excellent service now. I'd give them a go.
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Essentially there's two types of "control panels" that serve very different functions:

1. VPS Control Panel -- examples are Virtuozzo Power Panel and SolusVM. This panel allows you to stop, start and restart your VPS. Often there are other features as well, such as the ability to re-install your operating system.

2. Web Hosting Panel -- examples being cPanel, Plesk and Kloxo. These panels let you set up web hosting for domains and myriad other things -- create email accounts, password-protect web directories, etc. This is the panel you'd use for managing the user accounts and the content on your VPS.

liquidweb.com for about $50.00 a month. Look at the VPS Hosting Offers in this forum. Solid company.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated
    Server Administration - 24/7 Support - Phone & Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM - A+ BBB Rating

One KH advantage is that their panel + addons are very discounted. I don't know of a provider who offers a cheaper cpanel/whmcs combo.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Does Knowhost and vpslatch have unlimited domains?

Also for vpslatch..does it have reseller options? i see the fanstico thing (auto installer of software thing)is extra - $3/month? Does that mean that there is no auto installer at all for quick installs for myself or if I give someone else an account, that option of auto installing things won't be available without the addon?

Thanks

Does Knowhost and vpslatch have unlimited domains?

Also for vpslatch..does it have reseller options? i see the fanstico thing (auto installer of software thing)is extra - $3/month? Does that mean that there is no auto installer at all for quick installs for myself or if I give someone else an account, that option of auto installing things won't be available without the addon?

Thanks
    Yes, you can host unlimited domains.

It's a VPS with cPanel/WHM so you get reseller capabilities as well. Fantastico is something you need to purchase as an add-on, so you would be correct -- by default, there is no auto installer.

KH says it's "equal share CPU" - what does that mean?

does anyone know what vpslatch does?

How are the speeds for these hosts? It seems like my wordpress blog, moodle are slower on my current server. Are these hosts good for php, mysql stuff?

sorry a few more questions about knowhost (looks pretty good)

-you have the choice of data centers at texas or cali - what's the difference? which is best for me? i live in minnesota.

-what type of "virtualization" is it? like xen, openvz

-it comes with centos by default, could i request or change it to ubuntu or another distro?

thanks so much!

-it comes with centos by default, could i request or change it to ubuntu or another distro?
    I do not think so because Cpanel requests Centos, Debian and Ubuntu aren't supported.

KH says it's "equal share CPU" - what does that mean?

does anyone know what vpslatch does?

How are the speeds for these hosts? It seems like my wordpress blog, moodle are slower on my current server. Are these hosts good for php, mysql stuff?
    'Equal Share CPU' means each VPS container has access to and can burst the full CPU of the node if other containers on the same node are idle.

Don't know about VPSLatch.

I know KnownHost uses really high-end hardware, like dual Xeon (8-cores w/HT) and 8-drive RAID10. Given the fact that they monitor and manage their nodes really well, any bad/slow performance are likely the result of not enough resources (upgrade to higher plan) or your code is not optimized.

sorry a few more questions about knowhost (looks pretty good)

-you have the choice of data centers at texas or cali - what's the difference? which is best for me? i live in minnesota.

thanks so much!
    Ideally, you'd want your server to be as close as possible to your website's audience. TX is considered a very central/neutral location for U.S. visitors. CA is mainly for west coast/Asia audience. However, connectivity isn't that bad to eastern U.S./Europe, but closer is always better.

KH uses Virtuozzo, which is the commercial version of OpenVZ.

Regarding distros, this question is better suited for KH.

On their support - I really have no idea how good or bad it is as I've never had to use it...

WaQas Suggested Xen
    I want to suggest you to chose XEN, it will provide you dedicated resources
    but i do not believe either provider offers Xen
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

I am real happy with Liquidweb. Unbelievable support,they help with any Cpanell issues. 24 hours they answer the phone. They have a good discount code on the offer's site that will meet your budget.