Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    managed v semi v unmanaged

    Hi guys, I currently have a fully managed VPS, but looking to switch. I want to make sure I understand managed v semi managed v unmanaged.

    I am a newbie linux and server stuff but comfortable around it a bit. Part of the reason why I have VPS is to continue to learn more. I definitely want to have help in the managed part but if I get a managed VPS does that still allow me to do software and server stuff on my own?

    I want to be confident in having help but also have the flexibility having at the least OPTION of doing everything myself as I get better at it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    291
    It really depends on the Host some will give you full access on a Managed Server. Some will not give you root access. All depends. Talk to the host before you make your decision.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Get a 5$/month ( or less ) vps and play around. Keep the managed service if you have some important for you sites to host. I agree with shell-box for the rest. Ask the host first.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    Get a 5$/month ( or less ) vps and play around. Keep the managed service if you have some important for you sites to host.
    Agreed. It's always good have the extra help should you need it. No one person knows how to fix everything.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by melbs View Post
    Hi guys, I currently have a fully managed VPS, but looking to switch. I want to make sure I understand managed v semi managed v unmanaged.

    I am a newbie linux and server stuff but comfortable around it a bit. Part of the reason why I have VPS is to continue to learn more. I definitely want to have help in the managed part but if I get a managed VPS does that still allow me to do software and server stuff on my own?

    I want to be confident in having help but also have the flexibility having at the least OPTION of doing everything myself as I get better at it.

    Thanks!
    It is nice to have the help with support. If you decide to switch hosts, find out what their definition of manage/semi/unmanaged plans include.

    Regards,
    Brian
    ██ KVM SSD & SATA VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    ██ Managed and Self Managed Servers | North Carolina, Washington D.C, London and Texas Data Centers
    ██ www.bigbrainglobal.com | Big Brain Global Networks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by BBH Brian View Post
    If you decide to switch hosts, find out what their definition of manage/semi/unmanaged plans include.
    Exactly. Each host is going to have a different definition of what "Managed" and "Semi-Managed" is. Proceed with caution and best of luck.
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    Get a 5$/month ( or less ) vps and play around. Keep the managed service if you have some important for you sites to host. I agree with shell-box for the rest. Ask the host first.
    Best you can do!
    I did the same and after some weeks, I knew a lot more about linux administration (by fiddling around on the $5 VPS), understood many things, was able to carry out many tasks, but still - I cancelled it and stayed with my managed host. The comfort is way higher and I can focus on the websites rather than on the technical aspects. However, I am glad for the things I learned...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by BBH Brian View Post
    It is nice to have the help with support. If you decide to switch hosts, find out what their definition of manage/semi/unmanaged plans include.

    Regards,
    Brian
    Agreed. As this can really vary big time between companies.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by MBGear View Post
    Get a 5$/month ( or less ) vps and play around. Keep the managed service if you have some important for you sites to host. I agree with shell-box for the rest. Ask the host first.
    Same suggestion here. It's better that you have knowledge and want to explore more than just sit there and relax. When a problem occur, you can always ask the guys here or your host' support.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
  5. Handy Networks, LLC Managed, Semi-Managed & Unmanaged Servers
    By mgriffin in forum Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •