Hetzner vs Hosteurope

I need a 1GB Ram VPS in Germany mostly for backup if my primary VPS has problems.
    They both have 13 Euro offers for 1GB RAM
    Space, traffic, control panels are not an issue.

I learnt (from them) that Hetzner does not offer extra (payable) support if needed. That's a minus for me because I don't have a permanent admin. I'm not sure how much it matters though because if Hosteurope gets the job done in 2 days it's like they wouldn't offer it anyway.

Which one would you choose and why.

Thank you!

I still have some old shared hosting accounts with HostEurope and cannot complain in general. Uptime has never been an issue, Support only works at office times and can be a bit slow sometime. But: At least in the past, they limited the connection speed of your Server/VPS to 50mbit. And: You could not point external domains to their IPs without paying an extra-fee. If those "issues" do not matter for you (or are history already), then I can recommend HostEurope.

I have no experience with hetzner though.

Thank you for your answer.
    The connection doesn't matter, 1Mbps would be good enough for me.
    What do you mean by pointing external domains? Is this for VPS? I
    do not intend to buy any domains from them. I already have all the domains bought from others and I intend to have a DNS server installed. Thank you!

If Netherlands is ok, check IntoVPS. Fast servers, etc.

Hetzner vps totaly suckz from my personal experience .

Quote Originally Posted by atodea View Post
    Thank you for your answer.
    The connection doesn't matter, 1Mbps would be good enough for me.
    What do you mean by pointing external domains? Is this for VPS? I
    do not intend to buy any domains from them. I already have all the domains bought from others and I intend to have a DNS server installed. Thank you!
    Yes, this was (as said, I am not sure whether this still applies) for managed VPS. You do not get root access for the managed VPS and adding an external domain (meaning: registered somewhere else and not at HostEurope) to the VPS did costs a fee per domain and month. I guess this will not apply to the unmanaged ones.

Host Europe is one of the most relieable german hosting companies, and we (Hetzner) try our best, to help our clients. So if you decide between HostEurope and Hetzner, you can't do much wrong.
    Edit: maybe, my view to Hetzner is biased
    Last edited by Hetzner_Online; 05-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

I've had one of Hetzner's EQ4 servers since October and can't complain. Due to budget constraints I went with the Virtualmin control panel and most of the regular maintenance and updates can be done through that.

They offer basic support via email (and in my case, phone) and answers to most other, more complicated problems can be found in different IT/Web admin forums (such as this one).

Although I can't comment on the vServer product line, I'm very happy with my current server.

You might want to get your hands on a SysAdmin to assist you with the initial setup of additional security features etc. Alternatively you can trawl the Internet for the "best VPS setups" and do it yourself for free.

covalfu Once

I have tried Server4you and Netdirect in the past and now I stick only to Hetzner - the have probably the best price/performance ratio atm.

Thanks. I'm already a (happy) Hetzner client.

Not sure if Hetzner have been around longer but I know people who use them and resell from their servers and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    If Netherlands is ok, check IntoVPS. Fast servers, etc.
    +1 for IntoVPS if you dont mind Netherlands and if you consider Xen as well inceptionhosting (Again, in the Netherlands)
    Virtual6 - UK Dedicated Servers, Colocation and VPS.
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

You both realized that the OP already went with Hetzner?

Not till you just mentioned it
    UK Supermicro Xeon E3-1240v3 Dedicated servers, up to 4x drives, 8GB - 32GB RAM.
    European KVM VPS with guaranteed vCPU, Auto DDoS detection & mitigation, Proxmox VE 3.x control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    Not till you just mentioned it
    At least I am good for something!

I should really start and read the full thread instead of just scanning it

Thank you guys for your support.
    In case somebody views this thread later, my opinion (after a short time with Hetzner) is that they are good. I am sticking with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetzner_Online View Post
    Host Europe is one of the most relieable german hosting companies, and we (Hetzner) try our best, to help our clients. So if you decide between HostEurope and Hetzner, you can't do much wrong.
    Edit: maybe, my view to Hetzner is biased
    Hmm.. My HDD was broken 4th of November, I sent an Email and test results trough robot form, nobody's answered till today!
    Hetzner is cheap, but now I know why!

Quote Originally Posted by dnerty View Post
    I sent an Email and test results trough robot form, nobody's answered till today!
    Can you give me your ticket number, to review the incident?

Quote Originally Posted by Hetzner_Online View Post
    Can you give me your ticket number, to review the incident?
    Hi Martin Hetzner,

When will you guys start SSD line of servers. I mean servers with SSD drives ready-to-go?
    Can you please forward this to your so called "CEO" because that is all i hear every time i make a request for something "Our CEO said ...this...and ...said...that.."

Thanks.
    mission critical!

I have a general suggestion for you. Work with companies that have live chat support and they respond and solve your problems fast specially when you are not familiar with managing your server well.