4U 24bays chassis

Apart of supermicro that other brands have chassis for 24 hdds (4U) with support for SATA III (6Gbps)?

Thanks,

Check out Chenbro. I've never used any of their rack chassis, but their towers are great. Look at model number RM41824.

-Chris

Chenbro makes damn good stuff. We've got several of their 2U units in place and they work beautifully and they're VERY well built.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

What's wrong with SMC?

Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    Apart of supermicro that other brands have chassis for 24 hdds (4U) with support for SATA III (6Gbps)?

Thanks,
    3.5 or 2.5 drives?
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

We use these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-038-_-Product

24 drives working great :-) Just remember to change the fans to something a bit more powerful. We use Delta 80mm fans, and the drives are idling on 28c. Stock fans got a bit too hot with 24 drives..
    Premium Quality | Scandinavian location | Since 2006
    Web Hosting | Virtual servers | Dedicated servers | Cloud services
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Tech Support | Blazing Fast Network

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyK View Post
    What's wrong with SMC?
    Only the price
    3.5 6Gbps SATA III drives

Norco dont support 6Gbps

Only the price
    3.5 6Gbps SATA III drives

Norco dont support 6Gbps
    Most drives can't even saturate 3Gbps, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether a chassis supports 6Gbps SATA.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Hello,
    I need use WD Black 6Gbps

Thanks,

thats 3gbps for the controller afaik, so 24 drives would saturate it.

Chassis/power supply is the last thing I would try to save money on. I just got the 24 bay SM chassis last week for a personal server, the quality is second to none IMO even the fans appear to be hotswap. I'm going to use multiple PCI express controllers for the drives.

Here are some pics http://www.infohole.com/blog/computi...-r900b-photos/
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by vertek View Post
    thats 3gbps for the controller afaik, so 24 drives would saturate it.
    It would be 3Gbps per drive.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

As I know 846e16 + 8 port controller is the best choice it terms of pricing. SATA3 works perfectly. It will give slightly less performance than 846tq, but the difference can be found only on full 100% load of the system. But the price of 846tq + 24 port controller is significantly different. If such performance is really important for you it's better to go with 846e26 with dual expander backplane and SAS drives. It will give huge performance boost because of dual addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    It would be 3Gbps per drive.
    Hm intresting, boggles my mind though only thing I know of that would use 3gbps is 15k sas drives or enterprise ssd's

why the cuckoo they have desktop sata 6Gbps?

I stand corrected anyway, cheers for info.

Hm intresting, boggles my mind though only thing I know of that would use 3gbps is 15k sas drives or enterprise ssd's

why the cuckoo they have desktop sata 6Gbps?

I stand corrected anyway, cheers for info.
    6gbps desktop 7200rpm drives are just marketing fun.
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    6gbps desktop 7200rpm drives are just marketing fun.
    Ahh that makes sense. but i suppose it may make sense for enthusiasts wanting to use ssd's.

I'll post again in a bit when I find something I can actually contribute to this thread,

Added>>Only thing I can find that I would trust with 24 drives is supermicro.
    istarusa any good ? pritty expensive I would imagine.
    Last edited by vertek; 05-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Ahh that makes sense. but i suppose it may make sense for enthusiasts wanting to use ssd's.
    Most SATA SSDs can't sustain 3Gbps either, nor can 15K SAS drives.

Only thing I can find that I would trust with 24 drives is supermicro.
    Supermicro makes great stuff. We use their 4U, 36-bay chassis, the SC847E1-R1400LPB.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

We use their 4U, 36-bay chassis, the SC847E1-R1400LPB.
    Wow that chassis is amazing!

Sickened anyone that has one of those at the top of a full rack. that would be awkward!! sweet chassis though

added >> just noticed your post bq, I thought they would have. but doesnt really matter. I dont mean to be spreading false claims.
    Last edited by vertek; 05-10-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: didnt notice a previous post

Of course I'll never have 6Gbps but these discs are slightly faster than 3Gbps right?

Of course I'll never have 6Gbps but these discs are slightly faster than 3Gbps right?
    Even brand new SATA 3 disks max out around 150MB/s, which is less than half of 3Gbps.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

I tend to use the Norco 20 bay hotswap cases (2 extra non-hotswap bays). They're horrible to work with, but you save a lot of money and can really pack a lot of drives in there. The 22 drives you can fit in the chassis also works well using a supermicro motherboard that has a 2port sas expander (8 extra sata ports), because that gets the motherboard up to 14 ports. Then you add any generic 8 port sata card that will work reliably, and bam, 22 drive bay server dirt cheap.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

pretty sure 6G SAS/SATA support is really only dependent on the chasis if it has a built-in SAS expander (like the supermicro and some chembro ones do). In the case of norco its just connectors and just like the cables older cables should be able to handle the higher SAS3/SATA3 6 gig speeds.

Also on the norco page it says it does support 6G:

http://www.norcotek.com/RPC-4224.php

under features:

Six internal SFF-8087 Mini SAS connectors support up to twenty-four 3.5" or 2.5" SATA (II or III) or SAS 6G hard drives;

Under specs:

Specifications:

Drive Bay: 24 x hot-swappable SATA (II or III) / SAS 6G drive bays

Most SATA SSDs can't sustain 3Gbps either, nor can 15K SAS drives.
    Newer SSD's pretty much require 6 Gbps interfaces to reach peak performance. So yeah, 6 gbps is the new standard minimum.

yes, RM41824 it looks very attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by inerail-chris View Post
    Check out Chenbro. I've never used any of their rack chassis, but their towers are great. Look at model number RM41824.

-Chris

"Only thing I can find that I would trust with 24 drives is supermicro.
    istarusa any good ? pritty expensive I would imagine."

The only thing you can trust supermicro to do is give you compatibility headaches.

I picked up an SC-847E26-RJBOD1 that we spent a week researching before we purchased. Of course our other components were best of breed including an Areca 1880ix Raid Controller with 4GB cache and Hitachi 7k3000 Deskstar 2TB HDDs for reasonable size/performance to cost ratio.

Go to their product page and tell me if you can find some kind of mention about compatibility requirements of the type of hard drives or raid controllers you use with their chassis anywhere... you won't. Only after you spend thousands on their junk and can't even build a raid array using it are you informed that there is only a select handful of certain enterprise hard drives they recommend along with a handful of raid controllers (none of which are 6Gb.. all 3Gb). Don't follow their secret recommendation list that isn't even linked on their product page, then their official response is 'sorry, you didn't follow our recommended compatibility page, so nothing we can/will do.. except keep your money'.

I am losing over $600 to return this piece of StupidMicro garbage and there is nothing I can do about it because I wasn't aware of a secret compatibility product matrix. Who the hell thinks a chassis needs to be compatible with certain hard drives?!

I thought about possibly keeping it and using it maybe in the future, but then I will be held hostage to using both higher priced and inferior performing drives that will end up costing twice as much as current faster drives. Oh, and those that say the 6Gb won't even come close, they still have a 27% overall performance boost over their 3Gb counterparts. That's still a big deal even if it's not close to 6Gb. Why buy a 'premium' chassis that claims to support 6Gb when their own compatibility list won't even allow you to use 6Gb drives? It's just.. Stupid.. thus StupidMicro.

This isn't the first time Supermicro has bit us in the ass with their 'gotcha' compatibility requirements only discovered after purchasing and working with. I try to avoid them at all cost, but in this case, a chassis with 45 HDD capacity in a 4U just doesn't come with any other options.

From now on.. we are sticking to Chenbro.

StupidMicro, go to server hell.

Bottom Line - Do not buy Supermicro chassis unless you like being told what kind of hard drives and controllers you must use. Want to get the components you want, then buy from vendors like Chenbro that support an open market.

This is certainly new by me. I've never had a drive not work on any supermicro system I've ever built. The "Hitachi 7k3000 Deskstar 2TB" is not TLER enabled (it's a desktop drive) so surely you don't want to be using it with a hardware RAID controller anyway...

Can you tell us more about your RAID card and how it didn't work exactly? Genuinely sounds interesting, not come across this problem before.

We have quite a bunch of these 9U server chassis:
    http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite...cat.php?pos=24
    Not 4U but 50 drives hotswap in one chassis is pretty nice
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanLIVE View Post

The only thing you can trust supermicro to do is give you compatibility headaches.

I picked up an SC-847E26-RJBOD1 that we spent a week researching before we purchased. Of course our other components were best of breed including an Areca 1880ix Raid Controller with 4GB cache and Hitachi 7k3000 Deskstar 2TB HDDs for reasonable size/performance to cost ratio.

Go to their product page and tell me if you can find some kind of mention about compatibility requirements of the type of hard drives or raid controllers you use with their chassis anywhere... you won't. Only after you spend thousands on their junk and can't even build a raid array using it are you informed that there is only a select handful of certain enterprise hard drives they recommend along with a handful of raid controllers (none of which are 6Gb.. all 3Gb). Don't follow their secret recommendation list that isn't even linked on their product page, then their official response is 'sorry, you didn't follow our recommended compatibility page, so nothing we can/will do.. except keep your money'.

I am losing over $600 to return this piece of StupidMicro garbage and there is nothing I can do about it because I wasn't aware of a secret compatibility product matrix. Who the hell thinks a chassis needs to be compatible with certain hard drives?!

I thought about possibly keeping it and using it maybe in the future, but then I will be held hostage to using both higher priced and inferior performing drives that will end up costing twice as much as current faster drives. Oh, and those that say the 6Gb won't even come close, they still have a 27% overall performance boost over their 3Gb counterparts. That's still a big deal even if it's not close to 6Gb. Why buy a 'premium' chassis that claims to support 6Gb when their own compatibility list won't even allow you to use 6Gb drives? It's just.. Stupid.. thus StupidMicro.

This isn't the first time Supermicro has bit us in the ass with their 'gotcha' compatibility requirements only discovered after purchasing and working with. I try to avoid them at all cost, but in this case, a chassis with 45 HDD capacity in a 4U just doesn't come with any other options.

Bottom Line - Do not buy Supermicro chassis unless you like being told what kind of hard drives and controllers you must use. Want to get the components you want, then buy from vendors like Chenbro that support an open market.
    Sounds like an issue with the SAS expander. Also possible you used the wrong cables. Single port SATA/SAS (on raid card) -> 4 port SAS breakout connector (on chassis), is not the same as 4 port SAS breakout connector (on raid card) -> Single port SATA/SAS (on chassis). You need different cables depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    We have quite a bunch of these 9U server chassis:
    http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite...cat.php?pos=24
    Not 4U but 50 drives hotswap in one chassis is pretty nice
    I like it, but too bad it costs $2700 just for the chassis. That's $55 / drive right there. A 22 bay norco case, even after adding a power supply, is going to come in at around $20 / drive bay. Keep in mind you get what you pay for though, the norco case has terrible build quality, and you don't get a SAS expander with the 22 bay case, so you need to have 22 sata ports to make use of it.

What was you researching for a week? Go to the page of this chassis and read this Drive Bays:45x (24 front + 21 rear) 3.5" Hot-swap HDD bays, SAS or enterprise SATA HDD only recommended.

You hard drives are not designed for RAID and they are not going to be supported by E26 chassis. Dual expander is designed for SAS because of dual addressing(only sas drives are doing it) E16 is a SATA chassis.

The problem here is not on Supermicro side, you just don't pay attention "making research". Very easy to say that somebody is stupid, when you just didn't understand the info you've found. It's really interesting why thousands of SMC customers are not having any issues with that.... Probably they designed special landing page for you to make your mistake. If you really need info and you are not sure about it, don't forget that you are on WHT. Ask a question and you will get 1000 answers from people who know everything about it.
    Last edited by ICC-USA; 05-24-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Go to their product page and tell me if you can find some kind of mention about compatibility requirements of the type of hard drives or raid controllers you use with their chassis anywhere... you won't.
    That's because there's no such thing as "compatible" hard drives for the chassis. Any standard 3.5" SAS or SATA drives will work. They recommend enterprise-grade drives for obvious reasons, but that does not preclude you from using desktop-grade drives, which is what you were trying to do. If they have some secret list of drives that they've tested, great, but there are lots more that will work just fine.

The same goes for the RAID card. If it has the right connectors, and it supports the number of drives, then it should work.

What is the actual problem that you were having, and why do you think the chassis had anything to do with it?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

There is a good probability that this drives will work if only one expander connected. It can cause a lot of problems. If it will work like that - for sure it's a wrong chassis and you should go 847e16 with single expander. Dual one gives errors on controllers and backplane if you connect SATA.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyK View Post
    What was you researching for a week? Go to the page of this chassis and read this Drive Bays:45x (24 front + 21 rear) 3.5" Hot-swap HDD bays, SAS or enterprise SATA HDD only recommended.

You hard drives are not designed for RAID and they are not going to be supported by E26 chassis. Dual expander is designed for SAS because of dual addressing(only sas drives are doing it) E16 is a SATA chassis.

The problem here is not on Supermicro side, you just don't pay attention "making research". Very easy to say that somebody is stupid, when you just didn't understand the info you've found. It's really interesting why thousands of SMC customers are not having any issues with that.... Probably they designed special landing page for you to make your mistake. If you really need info and you are not sure about it, don't forget that you are on WHT. Ask a question and you will get 1000 answers from people who know everything about it.
    The question is:
    There are no SATA III enterprise drives 6Gbps yet...

jonathanLIVE what is your problem exactly? What does not work?

Quote Originally Posted by asturmas View Post
    The question is:
    There are no SATA III enterprise drives 6Gbps yet...
    Sure there are, for at least a year now:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...stellation-es/
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Have you checked out Supermicro's Microcloud Servers?

go with the supermicro SAS Expander model... allows you to get upto 127 devices with a 3ware 9750 card.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by david_ebizpc View Post
    Have you checked out Supermicro's Microcloud Servers?
    Yeap. Awesome product)))