Thread: [Review] BuyVM

[Review] BuyVM

Let me preface this review with a couple of things:

1. I don't believe that one person's unsatisfactory experience should determine the actual quality of service. People are more likely to write a review when they have a bad experience than when they have a good one.
    2. Up until this point, BuyVM was a good host so my experience could just be a combination of bad timing with the HE outage and some other issue at the host.
    3. I don't really hang out on here aside to occasionally shop, so pardon me if something that I say or how I format my post isn't correct (or if this is even the correct place to post this review).

Pricing: A

As you're probably already aware, BuyVM's prices are excellent. Adding additional storage is very cheap, and the price difference between plans is small compared to other providers (I'm looking at you, Linode ), so you get a lot of resources without feeling like you're being ripped off. Their prices give you the idea that VPS providers are moving in the right direction.

Reliability: C+

About two weeks into my account, they ran into an issue with my node running out of storage, so my box went from 3% to about 90% full despite me never touching the thing. I created a ticket and it was closed in about eight hours. Another issue with connectivity a couple of days later, resolved somewhat quickly. Less than two weeks later, node went down, resolved within two hours. Then two days later, node began running out of space. This is sort of how it went on: there would be an issue at least once a month, but it would be resolved rather quickly. The HE outage on Friday caused them to have node outages for about 36 hours.

Support: ?

This is my main reason for writing this review. Their support staff is quick to respond and take issues seriously, but I haven't exactly had the best time speaking with Francisco or a member of his staff recently. A staff member of Frantech and I had an altercation on their IRC channel which caused me to write a review on reddit regarding this staff member's reaction to users in the channel during the HE outage. After a couple of conversations with Francisco, I had decided I would like a refund, only to have my request rejected by my arch nemesis staff member because I casually declined his initial refund offer in our previous IRC PM. Considering the terrible handling of an active IRC channel during a crisis, my conversations with Francisco on reddit, and this last interaction, their support went from A to F, but I don't feel comfortable giving this section a grade because of those previously mentioned experiences currently outweighing the good ones in my head.

Overall: B-/C+

I wouldn't recommend them for anything critical, nor would I recommend them for serious development (can't develop on a box that's down), but they're great for someone who either wants to learn how to admin his own VPS for cheap, wants to run a casual game server, wants to set up a non-critical offsite backup, or needs a box to mess around with that doesn't mind the less-than-uncommon quirk. My speeds weren't fantastic, but maybe it was just the node I was on, the time of day, or the position of the moon. I have yet to find the right god to pray to in order to get a constantly fast connection with any provider.

In closing, from my recent run-ins with the staff and downtime, I get the impression that BuyVM/Frantech may still have a lot to learn about running a hosting company, but my time with them was mostly good, so I would keep them in mind if you're looking for a cheap host.

Our time with HE has been an interesting one in the past 6 months. We've had 3 power outages and 3 - 4 major routing issues. At this point we're actually taking bids from coresite and a few others to see what we can get together and get some Level3 involved. We're still early into this but like what we're hearing at least. While we generally like them and give praise, at this point if we DON'T step up the game on this we're going to get bit bad.

As for the reboots and crashes that was entirely due to a new kernel we rolled. A lot of VPS hosts are still rolling in the 70's or so for OVZ revisions but this means they can't use a lot of newer templates, features, etc. Because of this we keep with newer ones but during a simple roll up of Redhat patches they broke something horribly that caused excessive loads for really no reason.

The load bug is 'mostly' gone, we're still seeing it act up on a few nodes but it can't be felt, it's just making our monitoring channel really really grouchy is all

As I said on reddit, you may have got the wrong side of a staff member, but you're not really looking at it from their side of it. At the time of the outage and we got back online we only had Aldryic & Anthony working at things as James' shift didn't start yet and I was on vacation for the first time in 3+ years. I apologized and still do apologize if they weren't as happy happy joy joy as we'd all like, but after 3 of these same issues in 6 months it's going to lead to something getting stabbed (HE wasn't answering the phone so they saved their jugular on that one).

Either way, we're always improving things, even our quirky nodes.
    There's a good chance i'm going to simply replace our L5420's and get all matching setups.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I don't really want to rehash our conversation on reddit, but I have been taking their side into consideration when judging this. I understand it was hectic and they were the only ones there, and I'm sure they did a fantastic job with handling the outage despite having only two people. My problem has always been with how Aldryic handled a relatively calm (under the circumstances) IRC channel.

Thanks for the review. BuyVM seems to be well respected around here, great at communicating openly and to the point. Obviously everyone can't have a perfect experience, so it can be nice to hear about the less than fortunate situations as well just to balance things. You wouldn't want people's expectations to be unreasonably high. I certainly doubt it'll hurt their sales
    MXroute - E-mail Hosting for Your Domain.

almost cheap vps never stable

for buyvm im feel little disappointed too..
    for the download from the PROBLEM with the HE crash.. the down time take up to + 9 hours with for some node..

and now, how about your routing to the china ? its seen you getting an issue to get a route to china ..
    please check this

Bad routing to China is usually the fault of China ISPs who don't want to upgrade their backbones. Really almost nothing can be done about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Sanders View Post
    for buyvm im feel little disappointed too..
    for the download from the PROBLEM with the HE crash.. the down time take up to + 9 hours with for some node..

and now, how about your routing to the china ? its seen you getting an issue to get a route to china ..
    please check this
    I'm hoping to have a test file with the other providers we'll have in a blend soon. If you log a ticket I'll have Anthony pass you a test file

Thanks,

Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

lol, i put my critical website with them, and guess what ?
    i really satisfied with them,
    most "unbudget/expensive" provider even have downtime worst than them.

the HE's outage of power some days ago is not their fault at all.
    even linode and some "unbudget provider" has that problem too.
    please cmiiw always

I'm glad you guy's recovered from the HE power outage, I think i mis understood your first reply back to this thread, your checking into moving to another provider? I just wasn't sure about what you meant.

I have noticed from following along with your site and such, that you've had a few thing's happen to HE.net's fault back from Dec 2010 to now, seems strange that some of the problems you guy's have with them..

I wish the best of luck, and I hope everything works out..

Question: It seems you guy's are rolling out a new kernal every month?? I was just reading along from what other people have been saying that it seems like the last few months there's been alot of node reboots, and problems? this all fixed? This cannot be all because of the latest ovz kernal?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    I'm glad you guy's recovered from the HE power outage, I think i mis understood your first reply back to this thread, your checking into moving to another provider? I just wasn't sure about what you meant.

I have noticed from following along with your site and such, that you've had a few thing's happen to HE.net's fault back from Dec 2010 to now, seems strange that some of the problems you guy's have with them..

I wish the best of luck, and I hope everything works out..

Question: It seems you guy's are rolling out a new kernal every month?? I was just reading along from what other people have been saying that it seems like the last few months there's been alot of node reboots, and problems? this all fixed? This cannot be all because of the latest ovz kernal?
    We're at least taking bids because at this point we can't really sit on our hands and hope that it's all good. I had a meeting with egi yesterday about what actually happened at HE and it was so stupid that i'm not even going to repeat it on here. While we really like HE's network we're wanting to roll some L3 into a mix so then we can improve latency inside the USA as well as hopefully ride past HE's router explosions (we've had 3 - 4 decent sized network issues to date).

pony4-1 was supposed to be our 'ride it out' kernel till we likely moved to a .32 kernel sometime in the fall. There was a serious bug, though, in a few OVZ kernels that caused excess loads and other issues so we had to roll out pony5-1 just last week to deal with it. It sucks since we hate having to reboot that much but a lot of things we wanted addressed were fixed in the 4-1 branch so it was a good move considering we were doing a complete overhaul of every node we have in place anyways.

Before that we were on a 79.3 based OVZ kernel for the better part of 4 - 5 months with the only issue being vzmond lockups. The bug with vzmond ended up being a race condition that happened whenever a vps was rebooted that would lock a kernel thread at 99% CPU without the ability to kill it without a reboot.

Predicting said lockups was impossible so we could very well be stuck rebooting a node to resolve the issue a few times in a week then go months without it showing up. Either way, James wrote a patch and commited it to RHEL which was then merged into OVZ in the latest branch.

Francisco