ClubUptime Xen Notice

WHT Community,

First, I extended the opportunity 24 hours ago for ClubUptime to open this thread themselves, so that they could be the ones to break this news, but they chose not to so I am opening this thread on their behalf. This is not a thread to bash them, but it is to warn the community of real problems that new customers may face. Linux admins should probably avoid ClubUptime's Xen offerings until they get their new nodes straightened out.

Currently ClubUptime is experiencing trouble with their Xen images, specifically CentOS and Debian (there may be others but I am not aware of any problems). With specific reference to their Debian images, both Debian 5 and 6 are unusable in there current state.

The following is an example of problems you will find on Debian installations:

As an experiment, I reloaded the OS with a clean install of Debian 6 x64 and issued these 4 commands. I performed no updates, and no modifications to the system at all. I simply ran these 4 commands and here were the results:

adduser "some-user"
    ls -l /dev: crw------- 1 root root 1, 3 May 9 11:55 null
    su control
    ssh [email protected]: Couldn't open /dev/null: Permission denied

The permissions are completely off for /dev/null (and several others), and this is indicative of greater problems elsewhere. Updating the kernel also leads to further problems that I won't get into here.

To test Debian 5 I went ahead and reloaded my VPS back to a clean install of Debian 5 x64 and issued only these 2 commands:

aptitude install mysql-client mysql-server
    mysql -u root -p: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

In the case with mysql, Debian was unable to create a root mysql user, the only user created was debian-sys-maint. This is likely because the permissions in Debian 5 are off as well; again, a sign that something is very wrong.

Technical support had this to say, "We do know about errors with the templates not being completely compatible with the kernels on the newest nodes. We are in contact with the original creator of the templates who is creating updated versions."

So for the time being I would probably avoid new contracts until they get this all straightened out. While their service is usually great, ClubUptime should probably be avoided for a short time until this is fixed.

I will update this thread once the status of their image problems have changed.
    Respectfully,
    Phillip

I've seen a bug on Debian where it was an update which broke permissions and stopped new MySQL install from creating a root user

Doesn't explain /dev/ being broken though.

If they are using 2.6.18-238 (CentOS 5.6 tree) kernel on the host machines, you will notice the time is squiffy as well.

I called ClubUptime today and support was friendly and very helpful. From the sound of it, their provider SolusVM is shafting them pretty good. Apparently with the new Xen release their provider stopped support certain templates.

Unfortunately this is bad for ClubUptime because it makes them look bad when their images suddenly break, but its nice to know that they're not totally at fault.

I still like ClubUptime, its just very unfortunate for both their clients, and their company--we're all losers in this situation.
    Respectfully,
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by phil29 View Post
    I called ClubUptime today and support was friendly and very helpful. From the sound of it, their provider SolusVM is shafting them pretty good. Apparently with the new Xen release their provider stopped support certain templates.

Unfortunately this is bad for ClubUptime because it makes them look bad when their images suddenly break, but its nice to know that they're not totally at fault.

I still like ClubUptime, its just very unfortunate for both their clients, and their company--we're all losers in this situation.
    That sucks.

You should see if they are using the scarlet XEN images. They cost $10 for access to them all but they're generally well maintained and used by many

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    That sucks.

You should see if they are using the scarlet XEN images. They cost $10 for access to them all but they're generally well maintained and used by many

Francisco
    Stacklet, I think you mean?

We've been slowly moving over to them as the other provider we purchased them from (here on WHT) hasn't really kept them up to date and functioning as well as we'd like. Our Debian 5 images are from his pack, so we'll be dropping the Stacklet images into place shortly for Debian 5.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Apparently the Debian 5 templates are corrupted and the kernel is booting into single-user mode (hence the mysql problems), and the Debian 6 issues stemmed from pygrub not being enabled by default. However, talking with support it appears that they have enabled pygrub now to be default for Debian templates, and the permissions issues seem to have disappeared. The only other problem is that if you update your kernel, you must manually change grub.conf, but thats an easy fix for the time being.

All in all, my recommendation is either A) Avoid Debian 5, and CentOS 32bit templates and stick with Debian 6, or the 64bit CentOS variants, or B) wait for ClubUptimes new custom Xen control panel to come out.

Speaking with ClubUptime we were able to locate the source of the problems and again, they were courteous and friendly over the phone. Just avoid Debian 5 or CentOS 32bit.

Edit: Matt, good news then on the new Debian 5 images, hopefully that solves the bad kernel problems.
    Respectfully,
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    Stacklet, I think you mean?
    Yea

I've only used them a few times last year so the name slipped my mind

Good work either way!

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Wow, sounds like an annoying situation. Clubuptime knows whats going on though. I wouldn't worry to much. Give them a couple days and not only will they get it straightened out, but I'm sure they will make up for it in the process.