Hetzner, the 100 "unlimited" policy change

I have seen that hetzner.de has made a policy change from 5tb bandwith to "unlimited" 100megabit, I as a low volume user i am really worried about what network degradations this would entail?

I would like hetzner to state what will happen to current 5tb users, i am not a big fan if i will be on the same traffic priority class as hungry video, proxy, cdn and streaming sites, and essentialy pay for their high usage with degraded network performance for my part.

In my opinion this is a valid worry and could use some clear answer.

//worried hetzner customer
    Last edited by micze; 05-09-2011 at 04:59 PM.

As far as I know, that policy has been in place for a long time.

From their web site:

There are no charges for overage. We will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s if more than 5000 GB/month are used. 100 MBit/s speed can be optionally restored by committing to pay 6,90 € (incl. VAT) per additional TB used. More information
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

I just took a look and it does not seem changed to me... They advertise as "for free" but there is a footnote that states if you exceed 5TB bandwidth in any month, then they restrict your port speed to 10Mbps. This is what the policy has been for as long as I can remember.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Oh damn, sorry really embarassing you are indeed correct, i saw some other thread that seemed to state 100 megabit usage on hetzner and got really worried. But it is as you say, 5Tb cap or 10megabit port.

I was not really aiming to deflame hetzner or anything i like them.
    Well thats what i get when i post before i think...

I would like to change the thread start to this if it is possible:
    Sorry it was just me being stupid, i saw some thread about 100megabit usage on hetzner and just assumed they gone "unlimited"
    They still have their 5tb or 10megabit port as usual.

To my defence their 100mb "unlimited" in their plans overview is a little confusing, just glanced at it and got panic, thats all. sorry
    Last edited by micze; 05-09-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Aww, yeah when I first read this post I was thinking what you had thought. Anything that states unlimited would be bad if it has to do with TB, GBs, Ram type things. I would be a little worried also. But like the others have stated, there are footnotes. That's why a-lot of us stress on telling everyone to read the footnotes and other wise TOS and what not.

No biggie on this topic. You had a question and it was solved. If you didn't do it I probably would have done it.
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,