Best server company (hardware)

Hi!

I'm considering buying a few servers and put them in co-location but I have no idea of where I should buy the servers. Dell, HP or what? Who's the "best" and what pros and cons do they have?

Thanks,
    Awwent

Where are you located exactly?
    We mainly work with Supermicro, also a very good brand for servers
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by ServerBoost View Post
    Where are you located exactly?
    We mainly work with Supermicro, also a very good brand for servers
    Sweden, Europe. I'll take a look at Supermicro.

You can have a look at ahead-it.eu, they are a Supermicro supplier and do a very good job!
    They can also ship to Sweden.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Supermicro offers great hardware at a good price. Dell offers really great hardware but their pricing leaves a lot to be desired. HP offers a great product but I am not privy to their pricing lately.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Yeah, definitely agree... Supermicro is the way to go in my opinion
    Jon Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by ServerBoost View Post
    You can have a look at ahead-it.eu, they are a Supermicro supplier and do a very good job!
    They are also incredibly expensive and many of our colocation customers that went with Ahead have serious issues with their RMA procedures. In most cases they end up to RMA trough one of our vendors.
    They come not even close to th superior service we see from various UK, Dutch and German Supermicro suppliers. Supermicro as a server brand is definitely recommended !
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 05-09-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

we used a mix of hp dell ibm and supermicro servers, all have proven as great machines.

lately we are getting new dells and are quite happy with them due to the SLA we get directly from dell.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Our experience:

Hammer PLC (UK) good RMA and good pricing. European businesses with decent track record can get decent 30 days supplier credit (25000 to 500 000 Euro what we have seen from both direct as indirect experience). Negative: their delivery times for large orders are pretty slow. http://www.hammerplc.com/

NCS (NL) this Dutch distributor is the largest Benelux distributor http://www.ncs.nl/

<< snipped >>

We do not use the above mentioned suppliers anymore, as we moved over to the next level. But both of them are highly recommended from experience for medium to larger accounts and even those small account that value good after service and decent pricing. They will not be as aggressive on pricing for small purchases, but what i have seen, they will match smaller vendors on pricing.

If you need some USA vendors - we have experience with a very wide range of them in various states.
    Last edited by net; 05-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    lately we are getting new dells and are quite happy with them due to the SLA we get directly from dell.
    Until you will need that SLA and find that the 4 hours SLA means, that they send some subcontractor that does not have the part with him that was broken. This is usually causing a +24 hour downtime for your client before that engineer returns with the correct part. If that was a high profile client, you will very likely lose the client or end up paying a large reimbursement fee.
    Nothing beats on-site engineers. Dell also has decent programs that trains your engineers as Dell certified engineers and dell will give you free onsite replacement parts. Unless your a small operator, i can recommend this program, if you have a large amount of Dell servers in your datacenter.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    If you need some USA vendors - we have experience with a very wide range of them in various states.
    Why not post it here so it can help others and the OP?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Why not post it here so it can help others and the OP?
    No problem- all vendors have positives and negatives so lets honestly review them:

APAQ Digital (http://Apaqdigital.com)
    Very knowledge people - but we had a very bad run with them. Had to RMA over 50% of all disks due to chassis problems and spend a lot of time and money to pad the servers.
    Still would recommend them, they send us the HDD disks for free and acknowledged the problems.

Positives: Extremely knowledgeable, good service, good RMA procedures, fast delivery.
    Negatives: had a bad batch of HDD with them. We spend at lot time and money to correct the chassis with padding and replace the HDD delivered by them and this put us somewhat off. I have somewhat the feeling that this might have been bad luck and would work with the again in the future for datacenters close to them.

Amadi Systems (http://amadisystems.com) -
    Very solid servers. We use them for our Chicago facility and they do not disappoint.

Positives: good service, fast delivery
    Negatives: relatively slow quotes, higher prices then Apaq and Bonavio

Bonavio (http://www.bonavio.com/)
    They are the best of our USA vendors by far. Too bad their website does not represent their quality but they go above and beyond - and have the best pricing in the USA we have seen so far.

Positives: Extremely knowledgeable, extreme service, very good RMA procedures, lowest prices of all mentioned vendors
    Negatives: Slower response on Saturday and Sunday.

No problem- all vendors have positives and negatives so lets honestly review them:

APAQ Digital (http://Apaqdigital.com)
    Very knowledge people - but we had a very bad run with them. Had to RMA over 50% of all disks due to chassis problems and spend a lot of time and money to pad the servers.
    Still would recommend them, they send us the HDD disks for free and acknowledged the problems.
    Hmmmm.... we are using them too.

What kind of drives we are talking about?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Hmmmm.... we are using them too.

What kind of drives we are talking about?
    Mostly a large batch of WD blue HDD in Atom and Core i3 servers that had severe problems with chassis vibrations. Feel free to ask Chong.

Mostly a large batch of WD blue HDD in Atom and Core i3 servers that had severe problems with chassis vibrations. Feel free to ask Chong.
    Ah.... good think we are not using those drives.

Most compatible drives we have seen is the black edition or RE4.
    Specially 4 You

Amadi Systems

[...]

Negatives: relatively slow quotes, higher prices then Apaq and Bonavio
    Really? I have been asking few quotes, in the past, from Amadi Systems and APAQ Digital and, while I agree that Chong's advises are themselves worth gold (really), Curt's quotes have always been easily 10% cheaper. Amadi Systems has also shown slightly more competitive pricing than Rackmounts Etc.

As you said, Amadi Systems may bring and troubleshoot themselves servers in many Chicago datacenters, which is a major convenience.
    Heymman - Beefy servers, tiny price !

Quote Originally Posted by WootWoot View Post
    Curt's quotes have always been easily 10% cheaper. Amadi Systems has also shown slightly more competitive pricing than Rackmounts Etc.
    And Bonavio usually is cheaper then all of them. Depending really on the type of server you need.
    But all three vendors are recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by WootWoot View Post
    As you said, Amadi Systems may bring and troubleshoot themselves servers in many Chicago datacenters, which is a major convenience.
    Absolutely.

Bonavio (http://www.bonavio.com/)
    They are the best of our USA vendors by far. Too bad their website does not represent their quality but they go above and beyond - and have the best pricing in the USA we have seen so far.
    This is an understatement... server configs on their website are a little outdated: PIII? haha

Thanks for this info though. I will have to check them out.
    CityWideHost.com - Web Hosting YOUR Way!
    Non-Oversold cPanel Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!
    24/7 Support - Powered by Bobcares!

Quote Originally Posted by Awwent View Post
    Hi!

I'm considering buying a few servers and put them in co-location but I have no idea of where I should buy the servers. Dell, HP or what? Who's the "best" and what pros and cons do they have?

Thanks,
    Awwent
    Dell or HP is highly recommended. More stability and longer lifecycles versus Supermicro based 'servers'.

Supermicro for me. Easy upgrade and very stable/reliable.
    Specially 4 You

Until you will need that SLA and find that the 4 hours SLA means, that they send some subcontractor that does not have the part with him that was broken. This is usually causing a +24 hour downtime for your client before that engineer returns with the correct part. If that was a high profile client, you will very likely lose the client or end up paying a large reimbursement fee.
    Nothing beats on-site engineers. Dell also has decent programs that trains your engineers as Dell certified engineers and dell will give you free onsite replacement parts. Unless your a small operator, i can recommend this program, if you have a large amount of Dell servers in your datacenter.
    Hi,
    dell main office is on the other side of the road near the datacenter where i got my dell machines co-located at , and they do come quickly , in some countries they might send subcontractors, over here its from dell themselves.

anyhow we got an engineer at the datacenter 24/7 along with the datacenter staff , I must agree there is nothing like having your own.

in any case, i never had to wait more then 2 to 3 hours for a replacement from dell.

Pretty happy with them!
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016