What is a constructor for OOP PHP?

I searched all over the internet and it is explained in a way that I will never understand. Can anyone explain in plain english why a constructor is necessary in object oriented programming or at least what makes it different than a normal function used inside a class?

New York, NY
    A constructor is code that runs automatically when you instantiate an object. It's basically a function within the class that has the same name as the class. Sometimes they accept arguments, like below:

$moose = new Moose("Bullwinkle");
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions

To expand on bqinternet's reply, a PHP object constructor isn't necessary, but just a feature of using objects. Compare defining an object to defining a function:

function moose($name)
    // do stuff with $name

class Moose
    public function __construct($name)
    // do what you want with the name

Every time you "$moose = new Moose('Bullwinkle');", it runs that __construct() function and uses what you supply to Moose() just like if you defined it as a normal function.

There also exist things called "destructors" that run when the object is destroyed (used mostly when the script stops running).

Thanks, I have one last question. I am reading a lot of OOP tutorials out there and all of them are only a page long. Is there not much to OOP, or are only the basics covered? Does this tutorial cover it all?

The constructor is having some code within the braces that code automatically executed.Their is no need to call the constructor explicitly.

Charlotte, NC
    OOP is a programming concept that spans many different programming languages. I actually learned just about everything I know about OOP when I learned Java.

The basics of OOP are not complicated, but there are millions of ways to actually implement it into your code.

Once you have a grasp of the basics, you will want to pick up a book(or find an online tutorial) on 'OOP Design Patterns'. The real power in OOP is how you get your class objects to interact with each other.
    Adam Hahn
    Software Engineer / System Administrator / Database Engineer