ubuntu or centOS server?

hearing and reading about ubuntu server edition. Looks good to me so far as the updates are frequent and is backed up by a big community..

have you used ubuntu before?
    Where do you think ubuntu server stands against centOS?

I would say to some degree it depends on your intended use, but generally speaking CentOS can be considered a more rock solid solution out of the box as updates are comparably infrequent and they tend to stick with well tested well used package versions.

That's not to say Ubuntu server cant match CentOS but I think CentOS is generally accepted to be the more stable and widely supported.

Really it depends on who is doing the set up there is no reason ubuntu server cant be just as solid and stable as CentOS but I would suggest that it would take a fair bit of additional effort.

My money is always on CentOS, I have used both a fair bit generaly Ubuntu is my choice for new apps and services but CentOS is my steady stable workhorse! if you want bleeding edge then fedora could also be considered.

Frequent updates are not always a good thing in a server environment as it usually means a shorter test to release period.

i totally agree with backtogreek, centOS is the way to go unless you are planning on setting up an asterisk-PBX server or something like that were you have newer packages and more "support" than on centOS

Some people like CentOS, some people like Ubuntu -- it really depends on what is important to you. If you don't mind having to source your software from 3rd parties (DAG, RPMFORGE) or compiling from source then CentOS is a good choice. Ubuntu definitely has the edge on the number of precompiled packages. I use CentOS mostly out of the fact that I started with Redhat 3 (not enterprise linux 3, redhat 3) and a good deal of my knowledge is sourced in Redhat/CentOS.

Also a lot of the CentOS packages are outdated (it's not CentOS's fault, it's Redhat's) but still I think the version of Postfix which is included with CentOS 5 [2.3.3] is several years old.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com

CentOS is the way to go if you want a fast setup, easy to maintain and debug OS. Also, it has a big community and is well spread an generally accepted as a hosting platform OS.
    cPanel HelpNet - cPanel, Linux, Virtualization tutorials, guides and more

Quote Originally Posted by ARPLink View Post
    CentOS is the way to go if you want a fast setup, easy to maintain and debug OS. Also, it has a big community and is well spread an generally accepted as a hosting platform OS.
    Aren't the benefits inherit in CloudLinux making that a better choice for cPanel hosters these days? Heck, even cPanel has so much admitted it by offering CL directly.
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

Well, you're actually wright, XLHost, but CloudLinux has a few more steps before it can establish itself as a proud leader. Until then, CentOS is the way to go for VPS and dedicated platforms. For shared hosting, CloudLinux is the best choice.
    cPanel HelpNet - cPanel, Linux, Virtualization tutorials, guides and more

We mostly use CentOS for our customers. Ubuntu is also a decent OS, but not preferred by our customers.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Just use debian if you plan on running ubuntu as a server...

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Just use debian if you plan on running ubuntu as a server...
    Debian has severe issues with hardware support which Ubuntu does not. Up until recently, it took a great deal of work to get Debian 5 to install on an 11th generation Dell PowerEdge server.

RAID support is lacking in Debian, have to jump through hoops to get bnx2 support in Debian, etc etc.

Thankfully Debian 5.0.8 (and 6) has support for some newer hardware, but it was dicey for awhile.
    XLHost.com
    drew @ xlhost.com

CentOS is a very much preferred platform and software for me. Having to have had much experience in Programing Online 3D Video games using Unix/Linux SSH. I find that using CentOS has the most platforms I need in a command area to roam around freely. And like someone stated above, it does have quick setup. Easy to use and debugging with isn't half bad.

Tried the Ubuntu, and FreeBSD, and a few others. Which I didn't quite enjoy or frankly like. But simply just like some of the others in here have stated. Depends on what you will be using it for. Some people do however prefer something that is backed up by a large community of people. Some prefer to use something with more support. My money is always on "OS" Just what I prefer in my own opinion.
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,

I'd say CentOS...
    Better compatability but Ubuntu is still an amazing OS.

I've learned a lot, this is exactly what I'm looking for, for I don't know what to choose between them, lucky you answered my queries.. I will now install centOS

I am a CentOS user and I must say if it weren't around I would probably be using Ubuntu.

I think they are both very good, great community/support.

If you are already familiar with one I don't see any reason why you should switch to the other.

I don't think you're going to get any replies from those guys as you just revived a thread from 2 years ago.

Please check the date of the last reply before posting, and if nobody said it yet, welcome to WHT

Quote Originally Posted by v33usa View Post
    I don't think you're going to get any replies from those guys as you just revived a thread from 2 years ago.

Please check the date of the last reply before posting, and if nobody said it yet, welcome to WHT
    I just thanked them
    I searched in google and it brings me this topic, even though it's old, I believed their answer is still correct

I use both. Honestly there isn't all that much difference if we are talking headless servers run by command line which is all I do.

I would say 90% is the same server wise. Main difference is software versions, package manager, config file locations. Ubuntu tends to use more leading (some may say bleeding) edge kernels and possibly other core packages. That would be the biggest difference besides the 2 different package managers they use and the locations of config files. Other then that not much different.

If I want to do something that is only available natively and still being actively developed in newer kernels such as BTRFS then I will use Ubuntu. If I want to use it for some particular application which is mainly supported and tested on Ubuntu then it makes the choice easy. Other than that I pretty much use CentOS since it is more conservative in the versions of kernel/packages it uses and tends to be much more well tested/documented for most general purpose things.

My biggest peeve with Ubuntu is that they tend to move config files around from version to version. Please stop doing that! I wish all the Linux distributions would get together and agree on a common standard for directory structure, config file location, and naming. Why can't they all put the apache/mysql config files in the same location with the same directory/file names? Is that too much to ask?
    Last edited by UnfinishedSentenc; 08-30-2013 at 12:17 PM.