hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Alternative to "unlimited bandwidth"?

Forum Jump

Alternative to "unlimited bandwidth"?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Question

Rietta has a very nice site that (on my limited visit) appears to be very easy to use, and seems to cover all the bases.

Their site, the comments about their site with regard to CPU and/or "unlimited bandwidth", and the issue about bandwidth got me to thinking.

What if we were to suggest an alternative to hosting companies with regard to claiming unlimited bandwidth? If they really don't care about bandwidth (ya, right!) and don't care to add a charge for it, why not just say something like, "Bandwidth: No Charge".

Otherwise, it sure would be nice if they would just make the leap, and be honest --don't say unlimited if you're going to charge for anything over some number. Say what you mean, mean what you say.

That's just my $.02
tk

Sponsored Links
Old

they do it for marketing purposes... I have actually seen a post by someone that said, "My husband won't even consider a host that doesn't offer unlimited bandwidth".

There are idiots, and then there are the rest of us. The few. The proud. Blah.

Old
Web Hosting Master

tk,

With all due respect, I think you need to look deeper for the cause of the problem in misleading advertising by so many host companies. Their attitude and philosphy are the reason why so many of them lie. They don't care about good customer service, they just want to fleece as much money out of their customers as possible, and move on to the next batch.

Their lies are actually helpful. They make it easier to distinguish these companies from the reputable ones out there, especially for those of us who have already had a bad experience or two.

There are reputable companies that start out by copying terms they see used frequently and soon learn why they shouldn't, and it's probably these types of companies you are thinking about. The one Felix works for is one of these. The first posts about them, by their C.E.O., garnered some criticism about them, including by me. Their site had the same lies as many others, including the big one (unlimited bandwidth). They seemed like so many other companies, which is far from being a compliment.

They have changed their site since in an effort to refrain from misleading customers. Again, their attitude is the reason why. If they were what they seemed to be initially, like so many other charlatan companies, they would not have sought to improve.

Ultimately, it's about a business philosophy rather than terminology. There is a plethora of companies who will promise anything and everything, from unlimited bandwidth for just a few dollars a month, to a one time hosting fee for a lifetime of service. Some customers make themselves into victims by ignoring the adage "caveat emptor" and believing even the wildest of claims.

Fortunately, there are some host companies out there who rise above all that and deal with their customers openly and honestly. They are in it for the long haul, not the short run for a quick buck. Such companies take longer to find, and are well worth the effort.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 05-29-2000).]

Sponsored Links
Old

Thanks for the posts. As long as there are people that aren't willing or don't know how to find out the truth about them, the bottom feeders will make profits. Luckily, as you point out it's those claims that make it easier for those in the know to spot the scams, and hopefully the warnings about them will be heeded.

I have to agree about Felix/Rietta. They have seemed to be concerned about their services. I've gained a lot more respect for them because of this. I saw the same type of concern from the company I am currently with, which is why I went with them --among other things.

It's just too bad there are so many people out there that have no morals and principles. Of course, that makes it more rewarding when you do find people that do have them!

tk

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - October 3, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-10-03 15:30:46
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - May 30, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-30 15:36:21
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - September 20, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:47
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 12, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:11
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - February 1, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:21