Legalities of Hosting

Recently I was approached by a web hosting company based out of the Netherlands to create a custom website. Their current was rather bland, was unable to contain all the information they wanted to display and the only solution was a new site design.

After speaking with them, we traveled down an alternative road. One where I would not be fiscally compensated, but would receive a VPS for 1 Year in return. Therefore, I could host all my ventures with room to grow.

Sadly, the site was handed over and the VPS was removed. Now, they are using the custom design and code I created, and I do not have any sort of compensation.

Here is the site: http://boxslots.com

Does any one have any advice on what I should do?

File a DMCA Notice to their upstream provider

Incase you where not aware there upstream provider is LeaseWeb.
    HeroBill - On-premises Enterprise billing software for hosting providers
    █ UK Based, 24/7 Support Phone Support, Migration Services, Inventory Management, etc...
    https://herobill.com

You can try to launch legal action against them if you have evidence that the design and coding are your propriety, but it will be time and financially consuming so I don't know if you are up to go on that road.
    You should have requested a barter contract...
    cPanel HelpNet - cPanel, Linux, Virtualization tutorials, guides and more

Was there a contract?

Wow. That's pretty ******. They screwed you on a deal that wouldn't cost them cash to give you a vps that would probably sit idle anyway.

The amount of cost, effort, and sanity it will take you to get compensated for your time is probably not worth the time.

BUT, constantly letting this story out everywhere on the internet may cause them to lose business and that will be very gratifying.

Yes, indeed. Karma is a bitch.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I'd probably ask them for payment instead then. The vps deal even if offered again probably isn't worth it. They must like the site design seeing as it's still up I guess. If they won't pay, then just spread the word about it, when you get the chance.

Yes, I have indeed learned from my mistake. Will take care of future agreements contractually. It's just too bad that people do this type of thing, especially after you put hard work into creating something for them.

Tsk, tsk BoxSlots. I'll file a complaint, since thats free, see if that gets me anywhere. Thanks for the advice.

Spread the word to stay away from BoxSlots. If they do something that to me, who knows how they treat their customers as well as their information.

I just used their contact form to ask why they screwed their designer. All they have now is my IP. No big deal.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Next time make sure you receive payment BEFORE you work on anyone's website.. This is common practice amongst scammers. Thank you for posting their link and letting everyone else know of these thieves, though.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

JoshuaD, I'm pretty sure that You are the same guy that sold us that design last year, you work with Devin & Kevin ? two brothers from NY ? they own WebDKR? (h**p://webdkr.com/) i really dont think you should be calling people out for things when your not in perfect ship shape with legalities.

JoshuaD, I'm pretty sure that You are the same guy that sold us that design last year, you work with Devin & Kevin ? two brothers from NY ? they own WebDKR? (h**p://webdkr.com/) i really dont think you should be calling people out for things when your not in perfect ship shape with legalities.
    Have any evidence to back your statement up my friend?

@Joshua -- Generally in this circumstance you opted in for a VPS and not the option of payment, that is the problem with these sort of deals they can cheat their way out of things and this is what seems to of been done -- how do you know they were not inter-connected with one another to make this deal happen?

You should always be careful and I would never accept second hand deals.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

If the design you are referring to is the one on the site.

It is a template:
    http://themeforest.net/item/darkside...-layout/165648

Which is interesting because I saw the same design marked as unique for sale on WHT here a while ago.
    SSDVirt - SSD VPS Hosting
    Dallas • New Jersey • RAID10 SSDs • 1Gbps • OpenVZ & KVM
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting [soon] • SSL Certificates • Domains

I'm no longer in the hosting business...haven't been for years. But when I was, everything was encoded and/or had a license system, and until I was paid in full, I could shut the site off anytime I wanted. And in fact, I had to several times. People would pay the deposit, get the site, and never pay the remaining amount. That's fine, a few hours later and the site wouldn't work.

Say no more

Joshua are you here to just give bad reviews for no purpose or what is the go, I mean the design is clearly a template that is purchaseable via Themeforest and to which this one really would stand no-where in a court or anywhere else for that matter.

I suppose John has pretty much summed this one up.
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    File a DMCA Notice to their upstream provider
    Netherlands is in Europe, Not USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Joshua are you here to just give bad reviews for no purpose or what is the go, I mean the design is clearly a template that is purchaseable via Themeforest.
    The custom design and code which we crated is not available at ThemeForest, or anywhere else for that matter. After they saw this thread, they took down the site in which we created and put up a standard template.

Sean, I am sorry I did not have a good experience with your host. But please, do not try to connect the two.
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 05-09-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Netherlands is in Europe, Not USA.
    Correct, but then again I believe that the Dutch/Netherland Copyright Acts were tightened a lot more which to would work for removing copyright material.

In this instance it's not valid.

BoxSlots owners have removed the design and code which we have done after seeing this thread. Therefore, it was a success.

Here is proof, so that people do not think that the template was from ThemeForest.

http://imgcrave.com/u/boxslotsfi.jpg

BoxSlots appears to also be distributing ripped copies of YourWHMCS themes. http://justclone.com/showthread.php?tid=1941

I guess I should contact Sam.

Maybe you are telling the truth.
    The thumbnail here http://website.informer.com/boxslots.com matches your design.

Screenshot of page just in case it changes: http://i.imgur.com/BuAGW.png
    SSDVirt - SSD VPS Hosting
    Dallas • New Jersey • RAID10 SSDs • 1Gbps • OpenVZ & KVM
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting [soon] • SSL Certificates • Domains

This story is getting interesting. This just goes to show, how bad screwing people can be for your sites reputation.

Sadly for BoxSlots, this page will probably end up on the first page of Google when people search for their company.

I hope all becomes well for the parties hurt by the disgusting dishonesty of BoxSlots.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by GarrisonHost-John View Post
    BoxSlots appears to also be distributing ripped copies of YourWHMCS themes. http://justclone.com/showthread.php?tid=1941

I guess I should contact Sam.

Maybe you are telling the truth.
    The thumbnail here http://website.informer.com/boxslots.com matches your design.

Screenshot of page just in case it changes: http://i.imgur.com/BuAGW.png
    I do not gain from this, just putting the word out for others. All that I have said, 100% truthful. I mean, these guys are rather slippery. Attempted to try to spin ourselves into a world of chaos and deception; playing us against one another. I am glad to see they transitioned to another template, that they have been caught releasing pirated material and that they receive the credit they deserve; for all of this.

@Sean, I will have a good review coming soon, regarding LiquidWeb.
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 05-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.

I can vouch for JoshuaD that when this thread was posted this morning, BoxSlots' design was what's in the screenshot JoshuaD posted above. BoxSlots have since changed it to the current template.

Before I get started I would like to thank the people who were kind enough to come and inform us of the topic over here, for the record no attempt has been made via email or Skype to contact nor me or my associate from Joshua.

As everyone knows there are always two sides to a story. I think it's only fair that we express our side as this has now become a public matter. Joshua as we both know, you have not been completely truthful with some of the statements you have made here and I find your efforts to be quite manipulative.

Originally we had a spoken contract with Joshua who acts as the co-ordinator for the Amodity/WebDKR web design team. The set deal was a 6 month VPS lease including a cPanel license which would be used for personal projects. This was obviously no problem for us and we were extremely happy with the fact that we were getting a custom website for such a decent price. For the first week or so everything was fine, Joshua had a good outlook on what we required from his team and our initial requests were made for the design.

A week or so later a design was presented to us; generally we were happy with the design but we requested a small list of minor visual changes. This is when poor communication between Joshua and his team began leaving us with delayed updates. A new design concept was presented to us nearly a fortnight later with only half the work we set completed. By this time we had started getting very frustrated with waiting so we invited Joshua to a conference call on Skype. In this call a range of changes to the design specification were mentioned to Joshua directly, we thought he would have noted the requests down but it proved to not be the case.

This is when our contact began with Devin & Kevin; these are the people who were actually developing the site so it was very nice to talk to them directly. We took the bold decision of asking them to put PSD -> Code even though we were not happy with the design still, but we were told that it would be easier to edit the site once it was in code, which is fair enough to be honest.

Just over a week later we have a semi-functional website! I decided to make an offer to Devin; I told him that we would forget about Joshua along with his lack of communication skills. I would provide him a personal VPS for 6 months (this did not affect their current VPS they already had from us). In return for this we would receive unlimited updates to the design whenever we needed them.

Nearly another 2 weeks later the code was complete enough to get the site launched, it had already been too long and we needed a new site up desperately. Joshua and Devin at this point disappeared for a while, later putting it down to their Master’s Degree exams? We were left without the billing integration and ended up doing a slap-dash job ourselves just to get it live.

Waiting for updates proved to be only the start of our problems and things started to get a bit more complicated for us; the VPS that had originally been sent out to Joshua started receiving various DMCA notices. After investigating the matter and having a talk with Joshua, it become apparent that he was hosting (live, not developing) two warez sites reaching in excess of over 25k hits per day. Distributing links to a wide range of illegal movies, music, tv episodes etc.

You can see how these sites match our IP addresses,
    hxxp://whois.domaintools.com/46.182.124.92
    hxxp://i.imgur.com/KOs5Z.png
    hxxp://i.imgur.com/mLwdn.png

Not only was this effecting us legally, it was also putting a heavy strain on our hardware and several refunds had to be made to paying customers around this time period. I told Joshua to take a look into resource usage, he told me that it would only be for a few more weeks until he had sold both of the websites on flippa.

hxxps://flippa.com/127798-Rare-Opportunity---Easy-money-with-this-amount-of-traffic-NR
    hxxps://flippa.com/128457-Stable-Organic-Traffic--Stunning-Design

By this time it had all become a little too much, deadlines were not met, the site was nowhere near how we wanted it to be, and the lack of professionalism from these guys had really taken its toll on our patience. I told Joshua that we would not be needing their design anymore and told him he had 48hrs to gather his data and vacate his VPS. Since then we have had no direct contact from Joshua asking us to remove the content. It was never our intention to carry on using their design; we have been editing our new website and billing system since that day. Now we have had to release the new site prematurely.

Jamie Cork
    BoxSlots Manager

P.S
    For the guy who mentioned the "BoxSlots" branded WHMCS theme, we did not distribute this, we are a company trying to build a reputation in a very competitive market. The last thing we have on our to-do list is releasing an illegal theme.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxSlots View Post
    P.S
    For the guy who mentioned the "BoxSlots" branded WHMCS theme, we did not distribute this, we are a company trying to build a reputation in a very competitive market. The last thing we have on our to-do list is releasing an illegal theme.
    I am the guy your referring to. So what you are saying is, about a month ago, warez sites decided to start posting ripped WHMCS themes claiming to be from you. You might want to get that looked into if you have no connection.

I am not going to instigate a debate. With publicity like this, a thread sparking you to actually change the design, afters its been live for weeks, basically says it all.

Justify, spin and slant details all that you may. I've spoken with you both via Skype and Messenger and understand how you actually act. A formal post, one that you have time to format and populate, does not extend the true essence of your persona.

As per the type of sites using BoxSlots.
    Code:
    http://www.wjunction.com/showthread.php?t=69111
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 05-10-2011 at 12:49 AM.

You may want to "Google" your business name, your model is well let us say not the greatest. From the second page onwards all I could find was "Warez & illegal", surprise surprise right?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxSlots View Post
    In return for this we would receive unlimited updates to the design
    No competent professional would EVER agree to something this insane.

putting it down to their Master’s Degree exams?
    This is what happens when you hire students. You get student-quality work.

he was hosting (live, not developing) two warez sites reaching in excess of over 25k hits per day. Distributing links to a wide range of illegal movies, music, tv episodes etc.
    Again, a lesson to anybody that hiring a cheap designer. This is the norm, not the exception.

For the guy who mentioned the "BoxSlots" branded WHMCS theme, we did not distribute this
    Your brand name is semi-generic, so I would not be surprised if somebody else was using it, too.

|| Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||