charge.com cancellation

We originally signed up with charge.com 7 years ago because they had a relatively simple signup procedure. We moved providers since then because of their high fees and poor web interface.

Trying to cancel this account turns out to be pretty annoying.

First I emailed their support asking the process to cancel. They told me they'd be glad to help, I just need to give them my merchant account number, verifying information, etc. I sent this, and they reply back telling me to call a phone number and that they could cancel the account there.

I call the number they give me. They told me they'd be glad to help, I just need to give them my merchant account number, verifying information, etc. I tell them this, and they tell me to cancel I need to fax all that information to them.

I have the information faxed now, but they say there will be no confirmation once the account is cancelled, so if I actually want to confirm that everything went alright, I just have to call them back in a few days and check in.

Oh yeah, there will be a $75 cancellation fee too. It was supposedly mentioned somewhere in the fine print back in 2004. This is not an early terminate fee, as I have had the account open for 7 years, its just a fee they tack on to everyone going out the door.

I won't go so far as to say this is a scam, as it probably was mentioned somewhere and I may have even known about it at the time and forgotten. I will they say they are a pretty bad provider with high prices and roundabout support.

During signup how much you have pay them?

it won't be a wise decision to pay $75 as cancellation fee.

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    We originally signed up with charge.com 7 years ago because they had a relatively simple signup procedure. We moved providers since then because of their high fees and poor web interface.

Trying to cancel this account turns out to be pretty annoying.

Oh yeah, there will be a $75 cancellation fee too. It was supposedly mentioned somewhere in the fine print back in 2004. This is not an early terminate fee, as I have had the account open for 7 years, its just a fee they tack on to everyone going out the door.

I won't go so far as to say this is a scam, as it probably was mentioned somewhere and I may have even known about it at the time and forgotten. I will they say they are a pretty bad provider with high prices and roundabout support.

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    Make them snail-mail that to you. If they can't prove you agreed to it, they can't hold you to it
    ☆☆☆ Cool Domain Names - DomainSale.link☆☆☆

I can't speak for the cancellation issues. But I CAN tell you how to cancel the acccount. You need to do so in writing--emails, phone calls to customer service won't suffice. Bear in mind that a merchant account is just like any other type of bank account (checking, saving, etc) and therefore is subject to very strict privacy regulations. So the bank will not act on instructions regarding the account anonymously, you need to PROVE who you are. Think about it this way: How would you like someone to call in and make changes to your personal checking account without your knowledge? So if you need to close your merchant account (or any other banking account for that matter), do so in writing, and mail it to the address shown on your monthly statement, certified return receipt requested...and of course, keep a copy of the letter for your files. Bear in mind that the ONLY person authorized to close the account is the person who signed the document (application) to open the account. If that's you, then you sign it. If somebody else, that other person needs to sign the letter authorizing the closure