View Poll Results: Do you have domain privacy enabled?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 45.00%
  • No, I don't need it

20 50.00%
  • No, it is too expensive

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you have domain privacy?

Usually I don't have domain privacy because its easier this way for an end user to contact me and make an offer.
    Aniqa - Support Representative
    █ WooServers - Affordable, Fast & Reliable Servers
    █ 24/7/365 Premium Monitoring & Highly Qualified Staff!
    █ WooServers.com | cPanel Dedicated Server | European Dedicated Servers

Doesn't look professional if you ask me.

No, Domain Privacy seems like a bad idea. The privacy service owns your domain and you're putting faith in them doing the right thing in handing it back to you. Also if someone wants to take legal action against you they will serve papers to the whois contacts and if no one responds to the lawsuit it's possible for the plaintiffs to win by default judgement.

The collapse of Registerfly a few years back should have shown everyone the importance of listing legitimate contacts in the whois record. How else do you prove your ownership of a domain?

I use a PO Box and a Skype-in number for my whois details. That way my home address and phone number aren't listed but I still have legitimate contacts.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I do not use Privacy protection as well. I use my business address and use my real phone number in my Whois details.
    Regards,
    Urban Support - High quality Offshore Customer and Technical support service provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    No, Domain Privacy seems like a bad idea. The privacy service owns your domain and you're putting faith in them doing the right thing in handing it back to you. Also if someone wants to take legal action against you they will serve papers to the whois contacts and if no one responds to the lawsuit it's possible for the plaintiffs to win by default judgement.

The collapse of Registerfly a few years back should have shown everyone the importance of listing legitimate contacts in the whois record. How else do you prove your ownership of a domain?

I use a PO Box and a Skype-in number for my whois details. That way my home address and phone number aren't listed but I still have legitimate contacts.
    You can forward your whois email to your email...

But this depends if its a personal website, Yes.

But if its a company website, No then.

Yes, I have domain privacy enabled. It's free with the registrar I use (Internet.bs). However, I'm not running a business from my domains. They're for personal use.

So if your domains are for personal use, I think you may as well protect your privacy.

If running a business from a domain, it would probably be ideal to make your business address visible, though.

No, you risk losing your domain, and its not allways so private:
    http://news.cnet.com/Private-domains...3-5833663.html

Whois privacy is available for two reasons. One, for the registrars to make great money. They make more money on privacy than the domains themselves. They want you to use privacy, not to give you privacy but to take your money. .
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

We never use domain privacy for our domains because it is totally unprofessional for a business.
    Toeki - a Fikarast Co., Ltd. business (Accredited .WS & CentralNIC Registrar)
    We accept PayPal, Bank Transfers and all crypto currencies (BTC, ETC, LTC ...etc)
    █Domain Registration http://www.toeki.net

Quote Originally Posted by Toeki View Post
    We never use domain privacy for our domains because it is totally unprofessional for a business.
    Agreed!

I never use privacy for my domains. It is alright for non-business domains, but if you are using the domain for business then it is totally unprofessional!

If you have a uk domain (.co.uk etc), it is actually against nominets rules to use domain privacy for domains that are used for commercial/business use. It should, in my opinion, be the same for all tlds.

I suppose the questions was asked about private domain names.
    In this case privacy protection could be good way to protect against spammers.

It's good for some brand typo domains!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Active View Post
    Even search engines like Google don't like domain privacy. Some + seo points for fair play.

i have never use this domain privacy it looks unprofessional if we want to use our website for business purpose then using this Domain privacy is not a good idea

Business Domain Name: Privacy Disabled
    Reseller Domain Name: Privacy Enabled
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

No

I don't need it .Moreover,if someone wants to buy my domain names they can contact me .

I use privacy for the sites I use to host illegal content, for everything else I don't.

I havent got privacy on my domains.
    I feel it is a good idea if you want to stay Anonymous and keep yourself hidden.

No domain privacy used here
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

I do, came free with my domain so wasn't exactly going to turn it down, helps keep spam low too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Active View Post
    For my hosting site, no, but for my personal yes.

On trading services it does look bad and drives away business from what I can see.

I use name.com. I know an working coupon that get's you free whois. So I'm using for every domain that I have.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action

i never use WHOIS privacy. First it drives customers off. Second who is the owner of the domain me or the privacy service ?
    That being said : that is my main reason not to use a privacy service.. granted my domain names that i own are not considered being worth millions.. but i would be pissed if some registrar took them from me due to this service and i cannot proof i was the real owner..

yeah click a few checkboxes for privacy protect.. what do you really check ?

Cheers !
    Grimmig

No, I don't need it
    Xsltel OÜ | Fast and Steady Internet services
    cPanel Webhosting | VPS Hosting | Since 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast