dedicated server for video streaming

Any recommendations for a dedicated server provider that can handle live video streaming?

My techs can install all of the tools - I'm looking for a solid dedicated server with good throughput on the network.

More bandwidth instead of storage space preferred in the plan.

Prefer US based.

Thanks in advance

There are probably a good number of us who can and do handle your type of request. If you can provide more details it might be easier to point you in the right direction. Commonly live video streaming, as you have indicated (especially if it is H.264) can eat up a lot of bandwidth, so your question really is best answered after you've gotten a realistic number of concurrent users that you would like to be able to view your streams. If it's just a few an i7 box with decent RAM can probably handle most anything for you, as it grows or if your numbers are larger you'd want a dual processor running your main server and then "smaller" servers that can take and offload the video requests as they come in.

HI
    I like both of these:
    Rackspace
    Logical solutions- smaller firm, Rochester NY
    Both have good service and track records.

Christine

Check out Choopa and ServerBeach.

Hi all -

thanks for the suggestions. We looked at Rackspace 2 years ago, but they were too pricey and didn't deliver enough bang for the high dollar amount charged.

We also looked at Server Beach, but found them nonresponsive when we asked specific questions about what they could and could not support.

In answer to Kunis question, on our last provider we were handling a few thousand viewers per event, sometimes with multiple events running/day on this box:

Intel Core2Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache
    4GB RAM
    1Gb network port

We then moved to:
    Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA
    1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor
    12Gb RAM
    1Gb network port

and are getting HORRIBLE throughput and huge delays. Current provider keeps emphasizing that they handle huge amounts of online video gaming traffic...

I'll look at the other suggestions, keep them coming, thanks!
    Last edited by jerrylip; 05-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Look at Choopa, They have a very good network for live streaming.

Hey jerrylip, you have a specific Budget that you're suppose to follow? Or are you guys OK with the $$$?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Budget = $230/month max

(we paid $179 on the old server)

We loved the old server but their India and Thailand outsourced tech support were horribly rude to us all the time, so we decided after taking 3 years of their constant attitude to move to a company that actually respects their clients a little more.

So we went US based, but I'm afraid this company isn't able to handle our requirements.

I looked at Choopa, but their servers in my price range come with only 2Gb of memory, which would be a sizeable downgrade for me.

Try 100tb.com then if you need huge ram. else securedservers is really good option.

Thumbs up I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    Try 100tb.com then if you need huge ram. else securedservers is really good option.
    Yep! most of our customers are using 100tb.com
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

I would agree with others. 100tb offers servers very much affordable for you budget

the big issue with our current host is throughput.

they tell me this whenever I ask about the lag time during broadcssting:
    "
    We utilize the Dupont Fabros datacenter in Chicago, IL. It is used by many large server providers as well as global corporations. One example is GameServers.com - probably the largest game server provider worldwide which requires very very low latency and high network throughput.

As for specific carriers, we mainly use:

NLayer = 34Gbps
    AboveNet = 40Gbp"

my former host (which had great throughput and almost no lag time or delay) used Level 3 as their datacenter.

Datacenters are outside of my area of expertise. I don't wantt o switch again and then have similar issues?