Thread: Bye Bye Plesk!

* Bye Bye Plesk!

After a lot of complains from my clients when I did the Plesk Panel 10 upgrade (one of the reasons it was slower), this Plesk was initially version 8 then 9 and finally 10, I was on the decision dilemma of going back to 9 or move all those clients to one of my Cpanel servers, Finally I decided to move all those clients (around 100) to Cpanel, this was a TITANIC task cause the Plesk 10 was on windows! OMG manual transfer!!! But now my clients could not be happier.

Now if I hear the word Plesk it just bring me bad memories.

Someone here with this same problem?
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    OnApp Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

We never recommend Plesk for Linux.

But we have no good option for Windows
    ZNetLive
    Web Hosting for Designers & Developers

Wish I could go back to 2006 and hit my head with a hammer!
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

I used to use plesk few years back, maybe around 07 when plesk and cpanel were in par. Now, I only use cPanel. How did the manual transfer go? hehe.

P.S. Your site is loading slow :/

Quote Originally Posted by znetindia View Post
    We never recommend Plesk for Linux.

But we have no good option for Windows
    didn't cpanel have enkompass for windows? have you tried that?
    HalfDedi.com Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

Plesk on Linux is horrible. cPanel on Linux is excellent.
    Plesk on Windows is excellent. Enkompass on Windows is horrible.

Plesk 9 for Windows was fine.
    Those who mindlessly upgraded to v10 "just because" are now paying for it.
    Be smart about upgrades, don't just be an upgrade junky.
    I've read a lot of complaints about Plesk 10, and I have no reason to test it -- 9 is fine.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Couldnt agree with you more, Plesk (Linux) is a nightmare to work with, whilst it works its fine but when something goes wrong its a real nightmare.

Also if you have a rogue spammer hit your plesk server, i have yet to find a way to track and stop the spammer sending emails.. Cpanel is so much easier to manage and debug.

Never used the Windows version.

The performance is slower on Plesk compare to cPanel.

Couldnt agree with you more, Plesk (Linux) is a nightmare to work with, whilst it works its fine but when something goes wrong its a real nightmare.
    I had the same issue, some options are good the rest and majority is nightmare.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

We normally recommend cPanel above most of control panels, but recently when we released new Windows servers we have plesk 10 and for us seems really quick, much better than 8 & 9 with that silly ajax loading page system! Think might test it on Linux just to see how slow it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post
    P.S. Your site is loading slow :/
    Same here, not only slow but up and down
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

I went through a horrible encounter with Plesk, even the new 10.2 upgrade. I think if Parallels actually put their developers and product managers in a room and observed where cPanel is superior, even if its interface is less attractive, they might learn a few tricks. But they seem to want to go their own way, and that way is messy.

And forget about seamless migrations between the two architectures. Going to Plesk can be a nightmare, even if you follow Parallel's own instructions on the process.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    10.2 upgrade
    From what I've observed, the 10.x upgrade is the problem.
    A clean install is fine.

That's often true of any OS -- and Plesk is, to a degree, a platform OS of sorts.

So I can't say I'm surprised.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Plesk would be so much better without the costly license!

Before cpanel group got a mature windows version, websitepanel would be the best choice in my opinion.

Helm is perfect for Windows.
    CPanel for Linux.
    Just my point of view, I have never tried Plesk and can't say anything about this control panel and I think that's the question of a habit.

I was plesk 8 then 9 then 10 with 100 users in a Dell Poweredge with 16 gb ram and dual cpu quad core processors and was super slow, I moved 3 clients each day for 1 month manually creating/moving emails/databases/webpages/mailing lists/etc.....

Hurts....
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrNerd View Post
    Same here, not only slow but up and down
    Received a client on Sunday doing poker online business with 1.4 GBit/s DDOS bandwidth attack, didn't notice what he was doing until it was too late, now one of our ips is on a black hole at our carrier 1 in Miami, FL, if you loaded our page at that time it was a miracle, cause the entire bandwidth for my country is 1 GBit/s

I know is out of subject but how you guys manage DDOS attacks? I mean our firewall can handle/mitigate the attack until I reach the bandwidth and then pfft.
    Last edited by OffshoreRacks; 05-10-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Helm is outdated and wimpy.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I think if Parallels actually put their developers and product managers in a room and observed where cPanel is superior, even if its interface is less attractive, they might learn a few tricks.
    Captain,

If you were in the room too, what are some of the top things you'd recommend?

Why either or? You forget HSphere that can do Linux and Windows, not to mention FreeBSD.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by Parallels || Blake View Post
    Captain,

If you were in the room too, what are some of the top things you'd recommend?
    Not too sure what Captain would recommend, but overall plesk is a 'clunky' product to use - especially on Linux.

The silly loading messages that blank out the page. The insistence on trying to make it look like Windows. It doesn't go well and frankly makes the product less attractive.

I'd personally ditch all these fancy ajax bits and bobs that you've gone way over the top with and get back to the basics. People don't need all the faffy glossy buttons...sure they look good, but they aren't practical.
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-RikeMedia View Post
    Not too sure what Captain would recommend, but overall plesk is a 'clunky' product to use - especially on Linux.

The silly loading messages that blank out the page. The insistence on trying to make it look like Windows. It doesn't go well and frankly makes the product less attractive.

I'd personally ditch all these fancy ajax bits and bobs that you've gone way over the top with and get back to the basics. People don't need all the faffy glossy buttons...sure they look good, but they aren't practical.
    Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback. We definitely tried to incorporate much of this into the redesigned Plesk 10 interface. You'll find that we moved completely away from trying to emulate Windows XP/Vista as we did in previous versions and have adopted a more traditional 'tabbed' approach (on the customer panel) with which, we think, most users will be more comfortable.

Also in 10, while not completely eliminated, most of the 'loading' screens have been removed in favor of standard page loads. Our own focus groups echoed your sentiment that these were uncomfortable for users and often made the product feel slower.

Good to hear Blake I've not had a chance to have a proper play around with Plesk myself but will do when I get a moment!
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.