Thread: Xen VPS in Asia

Xen VPS in Asia

I am looking for a Xen VPS in Asia, preferably Singapore or Hong Kong. Minimum 512 MB RAM, 20 GB storage and about 50 - 100 GB bandwidth.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I am looking for a Xen VPS in Asia, preferably Singapore or Hong Kong. Minimum 512 MB RAM, 20 GB storage and about 50 - 100 GB bandwidth.

Any suggestions?
    Hello Sir,

Just use search button in VPS offer section there you will find lot of offers according to your need.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    WaQas.

Thanks, I've been searching and checking the VPS Hosting Offers forum, but haven't found anything interesting.

By the way, your website isn't working. Looks like a MySQL error.

You may check sparkstation for singapore, i have no experiance with them so you may search WHT.

I checked Sparkstation and they unfortunately don't offer Xen.

I suggest you take a look at SecureAX.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    I suggest you take a look at SecureAX.
    I was looking at them but the price if a bit off-putting, especially considering that I can get a dedicated in Singapore for only a little bit more, and then getting considerably better hardware performance. I appreciate the recommendation, though!

you can try omnivps

I was looking at them but the price if a bit off-putting, especially considering that I can get a dedicated in Singapore for only a little bit more, and then getting considerably better hardware performance. I appreciate the recommendation, though!
    Agreed. I also think they are expensive but they deliver and are dependable.

In the past I rented (no brand/mounted) dedicated servers in Singapore for about $100 USD but the (shared) bandwidth was limited to 1Mbps and the tech support was not 24/7. I really hate/disagree the common wisdom of "you get what you pay for" but if you have experience hosting in Asia you know the hardware and bandwidth are expensive in that region and you can't expect cheap prices without compromising uptime or/and performance.

PS: I had a very good experience during 2 years with a Linux VPS from Sparkstation @ QALA. As many providers in Asia they use Parallels.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 05-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks dotHostel for the recommendation

I just want to clarify that our SecureXEN servers are all on Dual Quad Core Xeon processors with 15k RPM SAS drives on hardware RAID10 setup. I doubt a dedicated server with similar specification is available around our SecureXEN price tag.

Cheers!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Quote Originally Posted by asc2000 View Post
    you can try omnivps
    Thanks, I'll take a look at them. Have you used them?

Agreed. I also think they are expensive but they deliver and are dependable.

In the past I rented (no brand/mounted) dedicated servers in Singapore for about $100 USD but the (shared) bandwidth was limited to 1Mbps and the tech support was not 24/7. I really hate the common wisdom of "you get what you pay for" but if you have experience hosting in Asia you know the hardware and bandwidth are expensive in that region and you can't expect cheap prices without compromising uptime or/and performance.
    This is a very good point. You do indeed get what you pay for, especially in this industry. What kind of speeds can you get from a SecureAX VPS? How is the connectivity within Asia (to Hong Kong and Malaysia most importantly), Europe and US?

I don't really need 24/7 support or premium bandwidth, which is why I'm currently considering if it might be better getting a low-end dedicated from Shinjiru. Those are $69 or $89 a month, depending on if I go Malaysia or Singapore. As long as the server stays online, I can take care of the rest myself.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfoo View Post
    I doubt a dedicated server with similar specification is available around our SecureXEN price tag.
    Bandwidh aside (which I cannot comment on), Shinjiru has you beat when it comes to pure hardware versus cost.

Bandwidh aside (which I cannot comment on), Shinjiru has you beat when it comes to pure hardware versus cost.
    Well, every company has its own pricing strategy.

Value added service such as priority support from hardware manufacturer (in our case Dell), backend network setup and so on unfortunately usually come at a fraction of the overall cost.

Good luck hunting for your ideal provider!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

This is a very good point. You do indeed get what you pay for, especially in this industry. What kind of speeds can you get from a SecureAX VPS? How is the connectivity within Asia (to Hong Kong and Malaysia most importantly), Europe and US?
    In Asia, it is usual to separate data transfer rate and data transfer allotments between domestic and international bandwidth. Note some Asian countries have great national backbone infrastructure with providers offering plenty of high quality low cost domestic bandwidth. However, international bandwidth is an issue anywhere in Asia Pacific (and Oceania, and Africa ...), as it costs a lot yet has low capacity and low quality, and it is usually shared -- don't expect a cheap dedicated server or VPS having more than 1-2Mbps shared international bandwidth in that regions.

Also should be noted in Asia peering is not that common between network operators, as many times you have close geographic proximity but not network proximity and it is not unusual networks from neighboring countries peering only in the US or Europe. Latency between Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur depends on the network operators / backbone providers / carriers used in the communication.

Regarding Europe connectivity very few Asian providers have routes via the Red Sea submarine cables. The usual routes to Europe are via the Pacific Ocean. You may want to take a look at this map http://www.cablemap.info/

I don't really need 24/7 support or premium bandwidth
    Taking in account some providers of cheap dedicated servers only offer manual reboots (hidden fee) maybe you should reconsider the 24/7 support / remote hands service.

Regarding the bandwidth, I guess hardly there is "premium" international bandwidth in Asia. There are more congested and less congested circuits.

... I'm currently considering if it might be better getting a low-end dedicated from Shinjiru ... As long as the server stays online, I can take care of the rest myself.
    I suggest you read some reviews about Shinjiru
    Last edited by dotHostel; 05-08-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Browse the offers section at http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/ (SG's version of WHT)

Linux OS? Or Windows? How much do you want to spend for this please?

You may want to take a look at this map http://www.cablemap.info/
    Interesting site there.

Taking in account some providers of cheap dedicated servers only offer manual reboots (hidden fee) maybe you should reconsider the 24/7 support / remote hands service.
    All very good things to look up before deciding on provider.

I suggest you read some reviews about Shinjiru
    Hehe, I have. From what I can understand, their network is pretty poor (at least to some of their data centers) and support can be slow, but I can only recall one review mentioning downtime specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by shearerc View Post
    Browse the offers section at http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/ (SG's version of WHT)
    I took a quick glance at that site a while back and mostly found it to be about shared hosting or server hosting in Europe or USA. I will look again though, so thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    Linux OS? Or Windows? How much do you want to spend for this please?
    Linux. I don't have a budget. It's more of a function of cost, performance, and reliability. If something is worth the cost, I'll take it.

Hehe, I have. From what I can understand, their network is pretty poor (at least to some of their data centers) and support can be slow, but I can only recall one review mentioning downtime specifically
    If Kuala Lumpur is an option I think nocser.net is a better choice (see the WHT offers section for discounted prices)

If Kuala Lumpur is an option I think nocser.net is a better choice (see the WHT offers section for discounted prices)
    Their order page is a bit confused. It says a Xen Flexi-512 is $99 but it's only going to charge me $20, which is the OpenVZ Flexi-512 price. I'll send them an email, though. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I'm just being a little blind. Their order page makes perfect sense now. They're on the shortlist for now.

check out GMOcloud.com in japan...biggest host in Asia.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    check out GMOcloud.com in japan...biggest host in Asia.
    Do they have a site in English? Japan would be interesting.

Any suggestions?
    GPLHost has an office in singapore and I'm quite sure they offer Xen VPS.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Amazon EC2 has Singapore and Japan locations

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    GPLHost has an office in singapore and I'm quite sure they offer Xen VPS.
    We do.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel