Thumbs down Made2Own Hosting...RUN. Run FAR away.

I'm a bit unsure if this particular host does any advertising on this board or not any more, but I've seen more than a few people getting burned within the past six months.

And before that, they had some severe problems with servers and accounts getting compromised; I had left long before they started having issues with that, however.

It seems that since November 2010, the owner/ceo (Mix) has effectively dropped off the face of the Earth, at least with regards to support and customer service. (Even some who have known him personally have been put on ignore) Apparently it might have had something to do with a family issue he had at some point previously.

It's difficult to say, however, as Mix, or whomever support was handed off to, have been silent.

However, M2O will gladly continue to bill customers, even those who had no functional service to speak of.

That can be explained by looking at their status page:

http://www.made2own.com/clients/serverstatus.php

The status page does come up....Eventually. Pinging dead or non-existent servers is probably what makes it so slow. At least one has been down since December. (papa)

Long story short, if anybody is still using Made2Own for hosting, consider it fair warning that they should be looking for hosting elsewhere, if they're on a functional server, that is; History has shown that anything that goes down with them, is not getting replaced or being brought back up.

At least have a recent backup!
      0 Not allowed!

I think their clients already moved to another hosting but your review will be a great help on some who are still hosted by M2O.
      0 Not allowed!

The irony apparently, is that the servers that died, most of it's users were on the low end...Individuals or small business.

The accounts on the servers still up, most of them were on the higher end, apparently.
      0 Not allowed!

Looks unfortunate as it looks like they have more than a few customers. Always a sad situation when you see host just vanish like that overnight, they could at the very least give their customers a heads up or at the very least take down their website so they dont lure anymore unsuspecting customers.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here
      0 Not allowed!

I host with them and have for about 5 years. Ive had a support ticket open for over a month. My site has still been up so I haven't really noticed any problems until today. I switched over to a new host and was just checking to see what people were saying about made2own and saw what other people are going through, no support since December, sites down since December and still getting billed. I was lucky enough that I can still access all of my files and was able to do a complete backup and download everything. It really sucks that they would just leave people out to dry. Their twitter account lists 3 people so if something did happen to Mix then the other two people should have said something.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the stir warning, no support would definitely "suck", honestly the best thing you can do is move away and find a more decent and reputable service
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee
      0 Not allowed!

I was reading up on it some more and talking with a few people and its gotten to where they can't even cancel their current orders. They try to and the website won't save anything. So they have to do chargebacks and call their banks every month just to get their money back.
      0 Not allowed!

Chaoschild.. good shout with the backups!
    Bath-Hosting.co.uk UK Based Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Domains, IP / SSL Services
    █ Softaculous | 99.9% uptime | 24/7 support | CPanel | WHM
      0 Not allowed!

Oh dear

I have about 8 sites and domains with made2own, I have used them for about 5 years also and they were always very good.

About 6 months ago I noticed I just wasnt getting replies anymore, services I've paid for, such as domain renewal just werent happening.

The problem I have now is because I reg'd all my domains via made2own, and they arent responding, I cant get the EPP codes to transfer them to another host, is there any other way of obtaining these codes?

Backup in progress as we speak, damn, im glad I googled this!! Great thread.
      0 Not allowed!

The problem I have now is because I reg'd all my domains via made2own, and they arent responding, I cant get the EPP codes to transfer them to another host, is there any other way of obtaining these codes?
    That is sort of a silly thing to do, the only other real way to "hopefully" get your domains back is by contacting the main registar to where your provider has registered your domains and by providing them enough adequate information to prove who you are and what you own.

But it is never guaranteed

^ Good luck in your change.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee
      0 Not allowed!

If you are listed as the administrative contact of the domain you can try contacting to the domain registrar, otherwise, your chances are minimal.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    ... or at the very least take down their website so they dont lure anymore unsuspecting customers.
    Excellent point, but why would they want to push away free money. The more they can make from unsuspecting customers is the longer their site will stay up.

I've seen a host shutdown for honest personal reasons and did send out a email giving everyone 2 months to move. He just didn't do a complete follow through to make sure everyone got the notice and a few were stranded. But I think he was a small percentage compared to the situations we read about on here every week.
      0 Not allowed!

A bit of an update:

It appears that Made2Own has been acquired, (or is in the process of being acquired) and is now known as Brutal Networks.

No other info that I'm aware of.
      0 Not allowed!

Rule # 13, never do business with a company who has leet speak for a domain name.
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not necessarily sure it qualifies as leet speak or not.

The former owner was regarded as having ties with some hackers/hacker groups in the past though.
      0 Not allowed!

All I can say is move away and find a decent service who takes pride for support and can deal with their customers well!
    Regards,
    Dominic
      0 Not allowed!

Best of luck to you man. Keep us updated!
      0 Not allowed!