Looking for fully managed dedicated server

Hi,

At first, little bit of background :
    I have a Reseller hosting account. I am in the process of upgrading it because of increasing client requirements. I had almost decided on VPS but not completely convinced still. I find that a good VPS (with CPANEL) with Premium provider will be in the range of $100 to $125 per month. But VPS obviously can not match the amount of space, bandwidth and other resources dedicated server can get me. Very recently, I found that one VPS provider recommends to keep MaxClient directive in Apache to 20.
    Also, I see that decent dedicated servers are available for $170 to $200. Around $50 difference per month.

So, I need help with :
    To decide if a dedicated server will be better solution for me ?

My requirement :
    - Stable and reliable server
    - Good performance
    - RAM ..... around 1 GB to 2GB
    - 80GB or more space (I am sure, I will need more in 6 months)
    - Cpanel and WHMCS ( very important for me)
    - Prompt customer support.
    - Preferably fully managed servers.
    - Root access
    - Linux
    - 800 GB or more bandwidth

Please tell me if dedicated server is better for me.

I came across, Hostgator's Linux dedicated server plans. The Basic plan starts from $174.00 . Looks fine to me. Please let me know any experience with this. Also, any suggestion on any other dedicated hosting server provider matching my requirement ?

A higher end VPS would be far better than lower end dedicated servers. Go for a VPS and backup space to take your client's site backup. It should hold you intermediate between reseller hosting to dedicated servers.

I think the key to you deciding on the best solution for you would be -
    1. Figure out what your growth requirements were, are now, and will be in the next 3 - 6 months.
    2. How much "management" you can do yourself, and how much you require from your provider / management service.
    3. What location you require your server (VPS or Dedicated) in?
    4. What type of service you provide your clients - i.e. what sort of support your customer base expects from you / your service.

Once you have those, as you already have a budget, it will be a little more easier to decide whether you should got for a dedicated server now, or a VPS.

Going for a VPS now, and then opting to move onto a dedicated server would normally mean migrating your clients on the VPS onto the server, OR, maintaining the VPS in addition to your dedicated server .... on the other hand, if you opt to go for a dedicated server now (within your budget), how long would it take before you need to upgrade from that, also, once you reach the servers' limit, it would mean you need to get a 2nd and more servers from there onward anyway .... so, a few factors to consider for the longer term.

Good luck!
    Intellitech I.T. Solutions Ltd.
    Intellitech Hosting - Dedicated Servers worldwide - including USA, London (UK), EU, Asia & Australia
    Server Load Balancing, Hardware Firewalls, MPLS Connectivity

Do you have any preference on location for this managed server?
    I suggest looking at some reviews first before doing business with a host.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Thanks for the replies.

No, I don't have preference regarding server location.

Any comment regarding Hostgator's Linux dedicated server plans? They have Basic plan for $174.00 . Any feedback on that ? Also, any other provider I should look at ?

Quote Originally Posted by bsdb View Post
    Also, any other provider I should look at ?
    I'd suggest checking out LiquidWeb. They are a fully managed dedicated server provider and are very reasonably priced for the specs you get. Support are always quick to respond to tickets too.