Web Based Visual SSH Terminal - Ideas, Comments & Suggestions

Hello,

I'm planning to build a website/service/script that would provide the user with the ability to connect to a server using their ssh login and visually view, edit and move files & folders. (a.k.a - Sort of a web-based version of VNC). What I'm wondering is:

- What do you think about this idea?
    - What security features would you implement?
    - Would you use it?
    - If it was provided as a free script that you could install on your servers would you offer it to your users?
    - Besides moving/editing/searching/copying/viewing/wget what other tools would you implement?
    - What would you name it?

Appreciate and await your responses.
    Last edited by BlueVM; 05-07-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added Additional Questions

I would certainly offer something like this, but only if it was bug-free and updated well.

Also would you be willing to pay for it (license or one time fee)? and if so how much?

there are services like this out there already, some for free.

I don't trust any of them, so no I wouldn't use it.

An example of one of these projects would be nice

I would be wary of anything like this simply from a security standpoint, especially if something was closed source.

A quick google of "ajax ssh" came up with http://anyterm.org/ . If you want a shell without it really being a shell, just someplace to run commands, webmin had something years ago in it.

Also if you do want a true vnc session there is a java applet it has so you can view it via a browser.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

What I'm talking about is more of an entirely html/javascript visual interface for modifying a server. I've also thought about adding the ability to upload files from your computer directly to a folder on the server your connected to.

I think its different from what other services offer because it would allow the user to connect to the server on a low bandwidth connection, view the files/folders and modify them visually as opposed to entering commands or viewing the entire screen (unlike anyterm). Newer users to ssh/linux could benifit from the ability to visually see what they are working on. As an example if you've ever tried to manage your server from a droid phone or from a slow internet connection you quickly become frustrated because of the bandwidth limits and the inability to view files/folders in a "gui."

Here is a list of features I'd like to implement:

- View files/folders
    - Edit/Create/Rename/Delete files/folders
    - Search for files/folders
    - Enter commands via ssh (optional)
    - Upload files directly from your computer to any folder on your server.
    - Setup installations to run on your server in the background (aka cpanel/direct admin/etc)
    - View image files stored on the server (Haven't quite figured out how to make this possible, yet)
    - Start/Stop services & processes - See top
    - Save a list of commands preformed since connection
    - Restart/shutdown server
    - Send/receive email if setup.
    Last edited by BlueVM; 05-08-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eth00 View Post
    A quick google of "ajax ssh" came up with http://anyterm.org/ . If you want a shell without it really being a shell, just someplace to run commands, webmin had something years ago in it.

Also if you do want a true vnc session there is a java applet it has so you can view it via a browser.
    These are true, but they all break if there's a firewall involved. By that, I mean that if you can only connect on port 80/443, these don't work.

For Ajax-based SSH that works on port 80/443, look at AjaxTerm. GotoSSH.com is one live demo you can try - they offer subscriptions but you can try it for a few minutes for free.

Some VPS hosts (6sync, Linode) include an AjaxTerm console.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

While its true that I'd like to offer a console, I'd also like to offer an entriely visual interface for managing the server.