A few questions about Semoweb and about VPS in general

Well, I have read so many good reviews about Semoweb and I would like to try them for my newest project. But I have a few questions.

1) Why are they so cheap? Only $8.95/month for the best plan. I could and I plan to spend 20-30$ a month for a VPS.

2) It writes "Budget VPS". What does that mean?

3) Where is it located? Is it fast in both USA and EU?

4) I can't find what is CPU there?

5) Does somebody have plan in Semoweb and could share the link so I could see if this a fast hosting or not?

6) Can it handle a few thousand users per day?

7) Do they install everything or I have to make everything by myself?

8) Offtopic: Is it possible to see how fast is a website in USA while I am in EU? Are there any websites?

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by I_want_good_vps View Post
    Well, I have read so many good reviews about Semoweb and I would like to try them for my newest project. But I have a few questions.

1) Why are they so cheap? Only $8.95/month for the best plan. I could and I plan to spend 20-30$ a month for a VPS.

5) Does somebody have plan in Semoweb and could share the link so I could see if this a fast hosting or not?

8) Offtopic: Is it possible to see how fast is a website in USA while I am in EU? Are there any websites?

Thank you for your time.
    Judging by some of your questions, I think it would be best if you opened up a pre-sales ticket with them regarding your concerns

All of our packages are unmanaged and we work directly with the data center and have a good relationship.

That simply means our vps are at budget pricing providing you with excellent quality for a low price as we simply pass the savings onto you due to our direct relationship with our providers.

We actually have Orlando Florida, Dalas Texas, UK how ever all new orders are being placed on our new servers in Dallas we restocked.

Each VPS has up to 4 cores fair share.

All depends on which package you choose and we do allow upgrades on bandwidth, disk space, ram, ips.

Due to the rock bottom pricing we do not install anything unless it requires something on the host node. How ever these are unmanaged meaning we only deal with network, hardware issues.

Here's a test ip 64.31.44.130

Please let me know if you have any more questions via our help desk or here I will be sure to respond.

I think semoweb gave you the answers you need, but I'll clarify what a basic VPS usually includes (and semoweb can chime in if their packages are different).

Typically a basic un-managed VPS includes your choice of operating systems, such as CentOS, Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu in both 32 or 64 bit. I prefer to go with CentOS 32bit on a VPS with less than 2GB of RAM (64 bit is not needed).

Most everything else is an add-on. To host a website on your VPS, in most cases you will want at least a standard "LAMP" stack ... Linux, Apache web server, MySql and PHP. The VPS comes with linux. You have to add Apache, MySql and PHP. All of these are open source and free. You can install and configure them from the command line, logged in as root. Or you can have a control panel handle some of the details for you.

At semoweb, it looks like Kloxo is free, DirectAdmin is $9 extra per month, and cPanel is $15 extra per month. You'll have to verify with them, but in most cases, installing a control panel also installs Apache, MySql and PHP.

You save money by doing it yourself. A managed VPS that costs $40 might have the same specs as the $8.95 VPS at a basic VPS provider, but the managed VPS already includes a LAMP stack, pre-configured and ready to go. The managed host may also include cPanel in that price, as well as nightly backups that would cost you $10 a month bought a la carte, and monitoring service so you know when your site is down (another $5 for monitoring in 5 minute increments, although you can find monitoring for free in 30 minute increments.)

So if you need those extras, and are going to buy them anyway, you do the cost comparison this way:

Basic VPS $9 + cPanel $15 + Backups $10 + monitoring $5 = $39.
    Managed VPS $40 (includes cPanel, backups, monitoring).

But if you don't need a cPanel and can use the free panel Kloxo (or the command line), and plan to keep a backup of your site on your home PC, and will be OK with one of the free monitoring services that checks your server every 30 minutes instead of every 5 ... then you can save $30 a month.

I haven't used semoweb so I can't recommend them from personal experience (forum rules prohibit recommendations except from actual customers), but as you said you saw quite a few good reviews about them. I do know that the HostDime DC in Orlando is very good; I had a shared hosting account that was housed in that DC and the speeds for my EU customers was good.

I have a basic vps with semoweb for backups and I have has 100% uptime since I got it. I'm hosted in their Dallas dc I believe. I would recommend them as they have been great fir me

I just uploaded a 100nb test file for him to download and test the speed of semoweb. Hope he likes it and decided to give them a try

Quote Originally Posted by jscott04 View Post
    I have a basic vps with semoweb for backups and I have has 100% uptime since I got it. I'm hosted in their Dallas dc I believe. I would recommend them as they have been great fir me
    Hello,

Glad to hear it, thank you for giving us the opportunity

Hello,

Got several VPS on semoweb... so far so good.. no major issue happend.
    Thanks...
    SerayaHost.com :: Care Hosting With Value Price
    Email : sales @ serayahost.com | cPanel & US Server
    Your Domain Reseller Partner