Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend Managed Cloud Hosting

Has be have real elements of cloud: 1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability. They can't have something else and just call it a cloud for marketing hype - I don't wanna be screwed like that.

anyone???????????/

What other requirements do you have? What kind of application are you looking to host, how much resources, and do you have a budget yet?

What will you be hosting?
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by CloudWeb View Post
    What other requirements do you have? What kind of application are you looking to host, how much resources, and do you have a budget yet?
    Sure, sorry.

I want fully managed, that's very important. I would also prefer at least one of these two: 1) 24/7 livechat support 2) 24/7 phone support.

2GB RAM. 2000GB monthly bandwidth. So I need either very cheap bandwidth rates/package or unmetered 10Mbit. Space.. maybe 1-2GB - minimal. It's a video site.

Budget $50-$150

Hrm... you may be able to find someone on the high-end of your budget, but you may need some wiggle room there as well. Check some hosts out that are frequent here.

Be careful about the technology of the host and be sure they're true Cloud. Even large providers like Rackspace currently are not fault-tolerant which you definitely want.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudWeb View Post
    Hrm... you may be able to find someone on the high-end of your budget, but you may need some wiggle room there as well. Check some hosts out that are frequent here.

Be careful about the technology of the host and be sure they're true Cloud. Even large providers like Rackspace currently are not fault-tolerant which you definitely want.
    They all BS you and say: "we're true cloud. those other guys are not true. they suck". to know who's lying u need a freaking degree in computer science.

And I don't know who are the "hosts who frequent here". I'm not an industry person, if you could just post some names, thatd be better.

is amazon ec2 true cloud?

vader2;

You want "1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability" yet you cannot even tell what infrastructure is used by a host? Do you even know how to write or buy an application that can take advantage of "1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability?"

You may want to find someone with a degree and understanding of what you are looking for. Pay them to help you out, you seem to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_R View Post
    is amazon ec2 true cloud?
    Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by vader2 View Post
    They all BS you and say: "we're true cloud. those other guys are not true. they suck". to know who's lying u need a freaking degree in computer science.

And I don't know who are the "hosts who frequent here". I'm not an industry person, if you could just post some names, thatd be better.
    I'm just trying to help you out and warn you to be careful of who you end up with. We have more people come to us from other "Cloud" hosts than first time Cloud users because of this. I'm just speaking from experience my friend.. no need to get so defensive. My comments were meant to help you, I'm not sure why you're feeling challenged or insulted by them, I meant no harm.

If you browse the Cloud forums a bit, use the search function, and read some other threads and you can come to your own conclusion about who is going to fit your needs. There is no one size fits all so all I'm suggesting is that you do your due diligence in choosing a host as your requirements are quite general and there's a hundred companies who may fit the mold, however imho almost none of them I would ever host with because your budget is too low for what you want, so by increasing that you're now adding the best hosts to your pool.

Has be have real elements of cloud: 1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability. They can't have something else and just call it a cloud for marketing hype - I don't wanna be screwed like that.
    Most of those things don't come in box, although cloud providers advertise that they do. Failover and redundancy are things you should be asking you developer/IT person/department about, or setting up yourself, not expecting a provider to give you. The best failover and redundancy comes from using two or more providers, and programing the failover and redundancy yourself (or letting your managed host do it). As for scalability, that is something you should look to your host for. What would your maximum requirements be? Do you want to scale vertically or horizontally?

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    vader2;

You want "1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability" yet you cannot even tell what infrastructure is used by a host? Do you even know how to write or buy an application that can take advantage of "1) failover 2) redundancy 3) scalability?"

You may want to find someone with a degree and understanding of what you are looking for. Pay them to help you out, you seem to need it.
    Please don't try to play the "pro" superiority card on me. I'm a customer. I want my freaking website to be up, as often as possible. Natural desire. Don't tell me I need to become a Computer Science PhD or hire one to satisfy it. I don't . And those companies who realize this will win in the marketplace. Call it uptime for the common man. Yes, there's demand for it.
    Last edited by vader2; 05-10-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    Most of those things don't come in box, although cloud providers advertise that they do. Failover and redundancy are things you should be asking you developer/IT person/department about, or setting up yourself, not expecting a provider to give you.
    NO. I want my "cloud host" to take care of those. Since those 2 things are benefits of a cloud, it's only reasonable for a "cloud host" to provide them.

Please don't try to play the "pro" superiority card on me. I'm a customer. I want my freaking website to be up, as often as possible. Natural desire. Don't tell me I need to become a Computer Science PhD or hire one to satisfy it. I don't . And those companies who realize this will win in the marketplace. Call it uptime for the common man. Yes, there's demand for it.
    Those companies are already in the market, they realize that they can define your three words any way they want and take your money. 95% of the time your site will remain up and you will be none the wiser. Why even ask about "true cloud?"

If you have special needs, you will end up hiring and paying for a pro. You can pay for it prior to purchasing hosting or pay for it as part of the hosting contract, your choice.

What does this mystical web site of yours consist of?

I would highly suggest Rackspace managed cloud to you then. They're the only cloud provider I know of who will take care of things like that for you, for a significant extra fee of course.

Failover and redundancy aren't benefits of cloud, they're properties of a good IT setup. Cloud hosts claim they're properties of "cloud" but that's ******** marketing hype, as I said they're properties a good IT setup, and your host, unless you have high end managed hosting isn't responsible for you IT set up any more than they're responsible for the content of your website.

We have more people come to us from other "Cloud" hosts than first time Cloud users because of this
    Interesting, considering we have had a few come from you for silly nonsense and fees for no purpose, it truly makes me wonder how far you are willing to push how perfect your cloud really is.

That was a bit uncalled for don't you think Sean? Should I be going around telling people about how we've have had a few of your customers, and WHY they came to us? I thought it was pretty silly non-sense as well.

I'm sure people we have had a couple of customers that went away from us because of "non-sense" Each of us run our business differently depending on what kind of customers we want to cater to. Something that makes sense to This type of customer may not make sense to this customer.

You should know better.
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Interesting, considering we have had a few come from you for silly nonsense and fees for no purpose, it truly makes me wonder how far you are willing to push how perfect your cloud really is.
    Sean,

We've been in business 13 years and mostly cater to high-profile websites, Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, large scale Cloud solutions for white-label resellers, and enterprise grade hosting in general. Every host has turnover. It's unfortunate of course, but you can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    Those companies are already in the market, they realize that they can define your three words any way they want and take your money.
    It's not my fault they're liars. That means that the cloud market has not matured enough yet. But there will come companies who will actually deliver on those 3 words. It's inevitable. Demand is there and those who actually deliver will rise to the top. Maybe I and other consumers just have to wait a bit longer for those companies to appear and take charge.

95% of the time your site will remain up and you will be none the wiser.
    Au contraire, excellent uptime monitoring tools are available for next to nothing even for unwashed peasants like me. So trust me I'd know if my site is up 95% or 99.99%.

If you have special needs, you will end up hiring and paying for a pro. You can pay for it prior to purchasing hosting or pay for it as part of the hosting contract, your choice.
    Yea man, my need is really special. I want my site to be up.

Vader2, I didn't read all too much of this thread but allow me 2 comments:

1) cloud hosting works the best if you use it as it's intented:
    deployable instances that will start serving requests the moment they finish booting. no stateful data on them. be able to have 1 or 10 or 100 webservers by deploying more images is what it's good at.
    It can be good at keeping *1* instance running more stable / better performing due to the higher chance you're on a real server and that there's some orchestration software that will re-instance your VM if they server was too ****** and failed.
    Anything else is over-expectation and (i hope ppl forgive me) feeding it by false marketing and people offering "cloud hosting" who don't know a lot about it - AT ALL.

2) If I may recommand something: imho OrionVM has a lot more clue / competence than the rest of the market. So you might consider checking them out, unless their location (aussie) prohibits it.
    Reasons why i think so:
    - they don't just buy some cloud software, they designed and wrote their own stack. and it's already been in production when many hosters just started buying something premade or some "lowest common denominator" like OpenStack.
    - so far there has no other provider come up and shown IO performance even remotely comparable to what they deliver
    - AFAIK the company is founded by professional consultants who needed to run more and more VPS for business customers. So this is not just someone (like me, *cough*) who figured he wants to offer cloud hosting, but someone who's already proven they exceed customer's demands.

Last: no, i'm not affiliated AT ALL.
    But I can't get over how big the difference in quality can be.

Just check out how many Cloud storage solutions are only able to provision your instance image to a VPS node's disk (most notably, openstack) instead scaling out over ALL servers. And of the latter, how little are able to scale out and actually achieve higher throughput and IOPS....
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

NO. I want my "cloud host" to take care of those. Since those 2 things are benefits of a cloud, it's only reasonable for a "cloud host" to provide them.
    /disagree. IMHO You've been fed marketing by the very guys that can't really offer failover or availability.

Cloud instance dies, you get cloud instance. That (used to be) the main idea. Since running on distributed storage and having load balancing in place, more is often achieved, but not by design, just by chance.

What you think of getting would be called "lockstep" or "project remus"(for xen).
    It's possible, but for any host to offer it, you'd have to pay a few times the price you're paying now.
    (Where *real* HA starts... It will run two VMs at the same time on two different hosts and sync their RAM and disks. That's so complex it took years to implement, and that is now, that it's done, the easy part. The hard part is doing a failover in your switch when a VM in some unrelated host fails)

Think of that if some people tell you they have HA hosting, and ask them what they consider HA. I don't think many people actually need that, but might help find out what's behind their stories and save *you* from false hopes.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

vader2;

I realize this is just an exercise for your English as a second language class or some such but you are coming off enough like the standard, uneducated hosting customer that it is interesting to see what you come up with next.

You seem to be under the standard misconception that there is or will be someone who cares about the project you want to host. There will always be those that say what you want to hear, while they figure out what increments you will allow your money to be extracted in.

Any requirements that you have brought up can be satisfied with a facebook page and I am sure that would satisfy any content requirements you can come up with.

The uneducated consumer has created quite the hosting environment for themselves but rest assured, the World Wide Web is large, there will always be room for your drivel and your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    Just check out how many Cloud storage solutions are only able to provision your instance image to a VPS node's disk (most notably, openstack) instead scaling out over ALL servers. And of the latter, how little are able to scale out and actually achieve higher throughput and IOPS....
    Thank you for replying with something of substance. The bold text is where me, dumb customer is lost. Could you please explain in plain English.

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    Cloud instance dies, you get cloud instance. That (used to be) the main idea. Since running on distributed storage and having load balancing in place, more is often achieved, but not by design, just by chance.
    This does not make sense. How is it by chance if the system is designed to fire up a new virtual instance if one fails? Yes, there's downtime - like 2 mins. But it certainly beats two++++ hours.

(Where *real* HA starts... It will run two VMs at the same time on two different hosts and sync their RAM and disks. That's so complex it took years to implement, and that is now, that it's done, the easy part. The hard part is doing a failover in your switch when a VM in some unrelated host fails)
    I think this dude talks about this in this video, he calls it shadowing or something. And he calls it fault-tolerance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGBGVWLBv98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast