good resources, books?

Lately, I've been going through quite a lot of threads in here. Well, I have been using linux personally for years now but never really managed servers. So I do have the knowledge but need to channelize it i suppose.

So can anyone guide me to any resource which can help me develop my skills? May be some ebook?

I personally do not believe in books, they are usually vastly outdated and generally boring to read.
    Just get a old computer/VPS/dedicated server and do what you want to do, get it up and running and keep tweaking it.

Real life experience is the best.
    Snel.com Self-managed hosting provider
    Cloud VPS ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Colocation★
    Send an email to sales@snel.com. Call us at +31 88 3 088 099.

What is your current skillset for Linux, given that you mention that you have been using it for years? Managing servers, depending on the particular environment, could include a wide variety of skills. Real-life experience is ideal, but I personally believe that books can be helpful as well if you learn to apply that knowledge gained from them. Before I can throw in any recommendations, however, I need to know just how versed you are in Linux at the moment.

I've been using UBUNTU for a couple of years now.
    Just at home use.

As a good technical introduction to Linux, I would personally recommend that you read the study guide for RHCE (http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Engi...4771346&sr=1-1), even if you do not plan to take the examination. It does impart certain skills that may be necessary and establish a firm foundation for you.

Also, you might want to run a few virtual servers to experiment around with, so you do not need to be wary of breaking them since you can easily revert them to snapshots. It is free to run these virtual servers on your own machine as well, so this can be a good way to begin.

Running a production server will also enable you to gain precious experience. Certain characteristics are not present in virtual servers due to the lack of a proper audience and traffic. Therefore, I would suggest that you look for a low-end VPS to tinkle around with. As it is a low-end box, you will have much fun optimising it as well.

However, before anything, you should have at least a solid understanding of the fundamentals of Linux, such as how the kernel is structured and how processes are managed.

If you aren't comfortable managing your own server but need one, you can also considering hiring a server management company to do it for you
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

If you want to learn about linux you should check out "the linux documentation project" but it's hard to give you a server management how to link or similar because there are just too many flavors around, you should learn the basics and internals of linux before diving into the different tasks that involve managing a linux server.

Quote Originally Posted by Snel IS View Post
    I personally do not believe in books, they are usually vastly outdated and generally boring to read.
    Just get a old computer/VPS/dedicated server and do what you want to do, get it up and running and keep tweaking it.

Real life experience is the best.
    While I generally agree that everything is old by the time it reaches paper, some books that cover fundamentals of OS design, Unix / Linux sysadmin never really get old.

That said, there is a big difference between reading about something and doing it and I second that using a cheap server for practice is the quickest way to learn.