Laws surrounding Rumour website? Might get in serious trouble!

Hi everyone!

Just joined so be nice!

I was wondering if someone can help. Basically i have set up a niche website that posts rumours about an organisation. The organisation is the Scottish Golf Union. I live in Scotland myself BUT i host my site from the USA.

My question is: the organisation have warned that if i were to post any content that is detrimental to their image without suffient evidence then they are willing to take 'appropriate action.'
    However i heard that they cannot track or get hold of my details as my site is hosted in the US. Something to do with federal laws??

Does anyone have experience to say if i could get into serious trouble or is there nothing to worry about. I am also going to put a disclaimer on the site saying that all info is rumour etc etc..

Kind regards
    Tam

kinda depends on what host - i know some places that ask for proper legal correspondence and some places that will give all your details away just by emailing a half-written fake dmca

the org already knows who you are?

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    kinda depends on what host - i know some places that ask for proper legal correspondence and some places that will give all your details away just by emailing a half-written fake dmca

the org already knows who you are?
    Thanks for your reply. No, the organisation have no idea who i am. They have one of my email addresses as i have been in contact with them regarding a rumour. It is during these email encounters that they have been threatening.

I also have a private whois entry for my site.

regards

private whois doesn't mean anything, just host at prq or something if you're worried about golf club assassins

Can anyone else offer some advice?