How to Automate Domain Registration (WHMCS)

Hello all,

I recently signed up with HostDime reseller hosting. I've have WHMCS installed. I think I have correctly set up everything to automate when a payment is made.

But I have no idea how the domain name registration and transfers work. Like when a customer orders a domain through me during sign up, what do I do?

Any advice is appreciated!

You would need to have a domain reseller account and include the API details in WHMCS.
    HostStellar.com - Stellar Shared and Reseller Hosting
    Features: LiteSpeed Powered | R1Soft Backup (6 hourly) | RVSiteBuilder Pro | Jailed SSH Access
    Guarantees: 24/7/365 Stellar Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.9% Uptime SLA

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have signed up with OpenSRS through HostDime and included the private key in WHMCS.

So what is the process from here when a customer registers a domain through me? Do I have to do anything?

Did you setup cron jobs for automated domain registration to proceed?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Inferno View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have signed up with OpenSRS through HostDime and included the private key in WHMCS.

So what is the process from here when a customer registers a domain through me? Do I have to do anything?
    I think you need to get domain name registration services offers into your web site.
    Then test the system.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

There's no cron job involved with domain registration. You just need to enter your OpenSRS details under Setup > Domain Registrars, then specify your pricing under Setup > Domain Pricing.

Now when clients order a domain via your WHMCS and pay, it will be registered automatically.
    WHMCS
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    Documentation | Help Guides

Do I have to top up my reseller account with money or anyhting?

Or will OpenSRS automatically use the money they paid with paypal to do the domain registration?

Do I have to top up the domain reseller account with money or something?

Or will WHMCS automatically use the money the client paid with payal to do the domain registration?

Provided that you have funds on your OpenSRS, it will be automated.

Ok, is there any way to test if this works?

Does it mean that WHMCS will automatically take some money from the payment to buy the domain?

Does it mean that WHMCS will automatically take some money from the payment to buy the domain?
    Depends, if there is a test mode you can turn on for the API, then you'll be able to test the system. Usually there is one..

The registrar will take the money out that you have added... WHMCS only collects the money and you decide how to distribute it on your own via your pay pal etc.. Also you need to contact Host dime to see how to add funds to your domain reseller accordingly.

Then your all set if you already did the config in WHMCS.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I don't want to spoil the party in here - but can i highly suggest that you don't go for automated domain registrations.

I have had so much fraudulent transactions. Mine were automated. Now I have set it to manual.

There is too much fraud out there right now.

I thought a domain will only be registered when a payment is made? How is fraud possible?

People always made payment first then a domain is registered.

I've always stuck with manual, I find it much simpler...
    Either way the client can't use it instantly.

I thought a domain will only be registered when a payment is made? How is fraud possible?
    Your assumption is correct, a domain is registered after your payment gateway authorizes the payment.

However in my experience - even though the payment gateway has authorized the transaction, one day after the transaction, my payment gateway has come back and reported the transaction as fraudulent.

don't forget the liability for charge backs falls on you. not the credit card owner who had their credit card stolen or the payment gateway.

It can add up very quickly.

Automating Domain Registration

In you admin account go to Set Up-Domain Registrar-Domain Registrar Settings. From there you choose which domain registrar you would like to use & fill out your domain reseller account info. As for the issue of fraudulent purchases. A domain won't be registered untill payment is received but there is still the chance of a charge back. This is where the client disputes the charges to there card. After the domain is purchased is purchased. I am sure non of the domain reseller companies offer refunds, even if you the reseller just got ripped off by your customer. This can happen whether the sale is automated or not.