Noob - VPS, Semi? Managed, Inclusive Price

I am currently with Ipower shared and find that they have improved markedly lately.

However, my site is growing and I will be including video and do not think that Ipower's VPS offers good value.

ATM, AW stats are Apr 2011 69941 92184 463809 1421476 7.00 GB

This should grow with the new software.

According to the software provider, I need to have
    Apache Web server
    PHP 5.x
    mod_rewrite
    MySQL 4.1.x or higher
    GD library
    FFmpeg library (for video uploads)
    DOM, MySQL and Curl php extensions

My needs are:

Fast loading site
    Site security...I have been subject to phishing attacks x 2 in the last 2 months
    Fully managed
    Back Ups daily
    HTML Email Blasts to 20000 Users
    Really good uptime and support w/ Live chat

Budget...$50-80 inclusive paid monthly or quarterly, preferably via PayPal.

Cheers

I would not use iPower. Find a better host.
    Get a VPS to better secure your own sites, then you can add your own firewall rules, and monitor the server logs.

EuroVPS -- my favorite
    KnownHost
    Futurehosting
    Downtown Host
    MDD Hosting
    SolarVPS
    HostPolar
    ... a few names off my list, hosts I use or have used in some way.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

How much bandwidth you are using now?

If you think you will grow, I would invest for a dedicated server.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    How much bandwidth you are using now?
    7.00 GB....do I really need dedicated at this level?

Quote Originally Posted by aaaces01 View Post
    That is a low usage.

You do not need dedicated yet.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Also, I forgot to ask...how much RAM will I need?...and...Ipower is in MA...will it affect SEO if I move states?
    Last edited by aaaces01; 05-06-2011 at 07:51 AM.

I'd start at 512MB, and add more if needed.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

With that type of usage, you probably dont even need a VPS, no need spending $50-$80 per month, when you can probably get away with spending around $5-$15 per month.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Yeah, he could ...
    ... but then loses control of security gained from having a VPS.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

My needs are:

Fast loading site
    Site security...I have been subject to phishing attacks x 2 in the last 2 months
    Fully managed
    Back Ups daily
    HTML Email Blasts to 20000 Users
    Really good uptime and support w/ Live chat
    The hardware and software requirements are fine for a good shared account, but a couple of things above argue against that (or beg for an alternate solution).

Email: You won't find many shared hosts that will allow email blasts for up to 2000 users. Most limit email usage to 300 per hour, and many will be uncomfortable with this type of activity due to the danger of the shared IP address being black listed. For this type of activity, either use a third party email service (like ConstantContact or MailChimp), or a VPS. As others have mentioned, a dedicated box is overkill for your usage right now, but it would also allow you to set your own email limits.

Site security: you mention phishing attacks; were these the type where your site is compromised and a phishing site is set up within your account? If so, that is going to depend on your software more than on your server, and all shared hosts are going to be about the same in this respect.

If you are using a CMS such as Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress, or forum software such as phpBB, SMF, IPBoard or vBulletin, you must make sure it is updated regularly. If your developer is making a custom site for you, you should plan and budget for periodic updates to keep one step ahead of the hackers.

Live chat: AFAIK, only the larger hosts actually have live chat 24/7. Of the ones I've used, SurpassHosting.com (part of HostDime.com) was the one with people actually there in the middle of the night. Most of the other sites I've been to don't have anyone manning the live chat application, and its really a marketing tool.

My current host, MDDHosting, a company I highly recommend, doesn't have chat at all, but responds quickly to tickets 24/7. If you are comfortable with larger hosts (I'm not, as I like the more personal service from smaller hosts), then Surpass/HostDime is one I can recommend. If you can get past the live chat requirement, then MDDHosting provides several products you could use ... from their regular shared service, a semi-dedicated product that is between shared and a VPS, and fully managed VPS. Finding a great host with an "upgrade path" like this can make it easier to move up to the next level when the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    My current host, MDDHosting, a company I highly recommend, doesn't have chat at all, but responds quickly to tickets 24/7.
    We actually do have a live chat, it is a sales chat and not support however and as such is not a priority unlike our helpdesk/support tickets.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    We actually do have a live chat, it is a sales chat and not support however and as such is not a priority unlike our helpdesk/support tickets.
    Ah, I missed that. I should have checked.

Its rare to find live chat 24/7 for support, and in those cases where I have had it available, I find it more troublesome than its worth. You have to "hang on" while someone checks something. With the speed of email / ticket support, I actually prefer it to a chat application.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Ah, I missed that. I should have checked.

Its rare to find live chat 24/7 for support, and in those cases where I have had it available, I find it more troublesome than its worth. You have to "hang on" while someone checks something. With the speed of email / ticket support, I actually prefer it to a chat application.
    Indeed - live chat is great for sales because you can ask a question that generally doesn't need looked up or require time to investigate/resolve. It's like being on the phone - when it comes to sales generally you can answer questions pretty quick if you're experienced but when it comes to support you often have to put people on hold while you look things up/investigate
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I would check out vpslatch.net if you really believe you need a vps.

http://www.vpslatch.net/

Hello,

I would recommend getting shared web hosting as this seems all you'd need. Most web hosts offer a fully managed service, and of course you'd be saving tons.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TannerG View Post
    Hello,

I would recommend getting shared web hosting as this seems all you'd need. Most web hosts offer a fully managed service, and of course you'd be saving tons.

Thanks.
    He requires something not shared because of the emails' volume, unless he plans to outsource it.
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

Linode, I have see many good reviews about them. I can't say anything more than this, I'm not their customer. But currently have access to a friend's Linode VPS. It runs like amazing for the price.