hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Cloud Hosting : Cloud Hosting NEWB Needs Help!

Forum Jump

Cloud Hosting NEWB Needs Help!

Reply Post New Thread In Cloud Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Cloud Hosting NEWB Needs Help!

OK, the reason I want cloud hosting because it seems to have the best uptime among all hosting types despite Amazon going down, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I like the pay for what you use idea (except Bandwidth ). Here's my requirements 2GB RAM, 2500GB transfer a month and maybe 200MB space.

I can't get screwed on bandwidth pricing, I'm not paying $0.20/GB and I'm not even paying $0.05, noway! - I need competitive bandwidth pricing obviously. Bandwidth is dirt cheap these days and I'm not about to get ripped on it.

Now for the resources, RAM and CPU I'm prepared to pay well.

And I want it Managed. I want to run Apache.

So I'd like to get started something at a minimal cost given my requirements and with a reputable provider. My budget is $50-$200 / month.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

There are many providers that will suit you. However you have to realize that .20/gb is a bit of money, .05 really isn't too much when you think about it. 15 dollars per meg seems reasonable to me depending on their mix. In our Seattle facility, we have Sprint, LEvel3, Abovenet, XO and Cogent, I commit to 1GB per carrier. I pay around 15 dollars per meg all in all. I do a true mix, no weighting.

Some people around here may have like a unmetered 10mb cloud plan here, more or less your going to have to look for someone who over commits bandwidth

Rest of the stuff on here looks reasonable. I think your biggest challenge is going to be bandwidth.

I'm not sure who I would recommend tho. I'm not sure if anybody offers anything close to what your looking for for the price your looking for it. Not even myself.

www.birdhosting.com - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle

Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Why is bandwidth such a huge issue? You can get 10mbit or 100mbit unmetered for very little money. WHy if it's cloud, now all of a sudden I have to pay thru the nose for bandwidth? Where's the logic in that?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

By the way HostGator just announced 10TB bandwidth for all dedicated servers. I mean like.. who are we kidding with $0.20/GB or even $0.05/Gb stuff?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

I don't know how long you've been around. From the looks of your post you've been around as long as I have at lease on this forum.

When I offer someone 100meg, they GET 100 meg. 100 meg cost me 1500/mo.

I'm not going to let it go for less than what I'm paying for it. Wheres the logic in that? In any situation we call that giving the farm away. Doesn't matter if your selling milk, bandwidth, or labor. If I hire someone to work for me, an I'm paying him 30/hr. I cant resell him to you for 15/hr. Makes no logical sense at all.

The reason these guys are selling you unmetered 100meg pipes for 100/mo maybe because they have 150 others on that 100 meg pipe, so they are able to make back their 15000/mo. I think of it in different terms. I can do the same thing easily. I choose to do our stuff different. a more honest approach to hosting. When I say dedicated I mean DEDICATED.

I'm sure a lot of different people can vouch for that. If your looking for OMGZ Unlimited bandwidth go to hostgator, 123host.net, godaddy, or 1and1.

For the rest of us that see a value in Cloud hosting, and the demands to have near 100% uptime. No BS type hosting. I'm not competing with Hostgator.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

well check this out. I'm the customer... from my point of view if I get a 10Mbit pipe and its not "dedicated" but it's delivered, meaning I get no problems with my bandwidth, no slowness, no issues, nothing....

I really don't care what tricks the host uses to hook me up like that. If he gives same pipe to 199 other guys, and I'm using 98% of it - that's fine with me.

I think the most important parameter is not dedicated resources. It's delivered resources.

1% of people use 90% of resources - that's what overselling is based on. it's sound math and it surely works for me. I'm the 1% and I get an awesome deal.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you're managing to use 98% without your dedicated provider blinking an eye, good for you. But as we've seen from history, at some point in time, a provider will wake up and realize said users are consistently using more than their fair share and overburdening the network from a capacity planning perspective. Case in point is 100tb vs SimpleCDN.

Also, when it comes to the cloud, resource costing from a consumer standpoint is never going to be the same as dedicated since you're asking for resources without any long-term commitment. For every hour you don't use your server/bandwidth, the provider still has the same cost and that'll get passed onto you.

Remember, providers have to pay by the pipe, not GB.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchen View Post
Remember, providers have to pay by the pipe, not GB.
Exactly, so don't charge me by GB for bandwidth. Especially if you own your own datacenter. And I'm pretty much only looking at owned-datacenter hosts now for this reason (among others).

And what happened with 100tb vs simplecdn?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader2 View Post
well check this out. I'm the customer... from my point of view if I get a 10Mbit pipe and its not "dedicated" but it's delivered, meaning I get no problems with my bandwidth, no slowness, no issues, nothing....

I really don't care what tricks the host uses to hook me up like that. If he gives same pipe to 199 other guys, and I'm using 98% of it - that's fine with me.

I think the most important parameter is not dedicated resources. It's delivered resources.

1% of people use 90% of resources - that's what overselling is based on. it's sound math and it surely works for me. I'm the 1% and I get an awesome deal.
Yeah, If you can get away with it cool. Is it fair that you are using 98% of a pipe that the other customers now do not have access to if they need it? Thats what it all comes down too. EVERY one of our customers can use their FULL allotment of bandwidth, and NOBODY will have slowdowns.

What happens if there are 3 of you on the same pipe, and now you are all fighting over the bandwidth? I bet we would be hearing about how much host123.net is horrible and you get bad speeds. Whats fair? What is it worth to you?

We give ALL of our customers 1GB pipes to the internet, and they can use 100% of that 1GB pipe, I wont blink and eye, but I'm sure they maybe mad when they get a bill for the cost of that pipe. We enforce our bandwidth policies. We are a business, and the business has to stay afloat.

With that being said We keep our lines clear specifically for bursting capability. We work off the 95 percentile billing tho. We throw away 5% of your highest usage and only charge you for 95% of your lowest usage.

I wouldn't consider us to be a 'bad' provider because we dont give the customer what they want. I understand your a customer. but in the same sense its your or the business. Ill choose business over 1 customer who wants 'unlimited bandwidth' no offense.

Thanks,

Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Exactly, so don't charge me by GB for bandwidth. Especially if you own your own datacenter. And I'm pretty much only looking at owned-datacenter hosts now for this reason (among others).

That is not very accurate.

We pay by the meg of bandwidth. Doesnt matter if you buy 1meg (300GB/mo) or 1000meg (300,000GB/mo) We charge on the per meg basis, not the per GB. You can easily equate 300GB / 10/meg (cost) = 30GB per 1 dollar.

I personally will stick with the 95% billing on our dealings with our customers.

If you want to pay for pipe most people can arrange this for you. I know we do.

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 AM
WHT Addict

cloud help reduce the downtime to almost zero, but other factors could happened, such as fire, tornado, tsunami. Haha. Just kidding. Anyway, the point is, cloud is more secure, but it does come with a price.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:

Lot of reading here - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1005111

Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Checkout eUKhost. They offer good Cloud VPS Servers.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
Checkout eUKhost. They offer good Cloud VPS Servers.
What makes it a good one?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
What makes it a good one?
Their setup - check http://www.eukhost.com/cloud-hosting.php