Dedicated VPS vs standard VPS

Would like to know something about the VPS solutions.

I know some hosts do offer a VPS accounts with dedicated RAM and CPU Resources (sometimes it is called hybrid server). While usual solutions have burstable RAM and CPU.

Just for being educated I wonder if the Hybrid server is really able to give higher performance than usual VPS solution? Is it in fact like a smaller dedi or it is just another gimmick, to get more money?

Thank you

"Hybrid" servers are just regular VPSes as well. There isn't really a dedicated vs standard VPS separation. The differences lie in the virtualization technology being used.

Hybrid servers are generally just more powerful VPSes than usual in terms of resources (and price).

Also it's more of a marketing thing than anything else,
    The name is just that.

I see. But doesn't the dedicated resources make it more performative at all? I mean is the price usually charged worth of buying "hybrid" rather than VPS when higher performance for site is preferred?

Quote Originally Posted by BenRohed View Post
    I see. But doesn't the dedicated resources make it more performative at all? I mean is the price usually charged worth of buying "hybrid" rather than VPS when higher performance for site is preferred?
    Yes, dedicated resources can be nice for stability. However, I think you're under the wrong impression that hybrid = dedicated and VPS = burstable. There is no such generalization like that. Any VPS can have dedicated or burstable resources. A hybrid server doesn't imply it has dedicated resources at all.

There are 2 types of resources, Dedicated and Burstable.

A VPS might have 512MB RAM dedicated, but is burstable to 768MB (for example)

It just means you will have 512MB RAM when needed, and get more when available.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-GV View Post
    There are 2 types of resources, Dedicated and Burstable.

A VPS might have 512MB RAM dedicated, but is burstable to 768MB (for example)

It just means you will have 512MB RAM when needed, and get more when available.

Regards
    That's not exactly how burstable RAM on OpenVZ works. The burstable memory sets the privvmpages limit which is usually higher than the "dedicated" RAM due to how VZ accounts allocated memory.

Again though, burstable memory is an OpenVZ/Virtuozzo specific term.

I wouldn't say that hybrid VPS is just a normal VPS. They have more power with less VPS on the node. You're getting more resources for more money.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

As said, it's just a marketing term with different specs.

They're both VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BenRohed View Post
    Sure, if you need the extra performance and resources, a hybrid would be a good choice. A hybrid VPS, while a marketing term, is more than simply a VPS with more resources. Since virtual private servers are still based on a shared system, contention is an important factor to consider -- meaning how many other VPS accounts are on the same physical server competing for CPU and disk I/O.

At least with the companies marketing and offering hybrid VPSes, they only place other hybrids on the same node so there are less accounts overall fighting for resources. A same spec VPS offered elsewhere may place you on a node with other smaller VPS accounts, so yes while you have the memory and disk transfer you purchased, you're competing with far more VPS accounts.

I don't believe I've seen companies offering hybrid VPSes using anything other than Virtuozzo as the virtualization method. While some say they can guarantee you 1 or 2 cores for a hybrid VPS, each account can still burst the full CPU of the node. The difference is that they only place X number of accounts per node equal to the number of cores -- so a node with 8 cores will only have 8 hybrid accounts on it, leading to more/less, 1 core "guaranteed" per account.

Hope this helps.

You'll need to use a dedicated server for 100% TRUE dedicated resources. Not matter what name they give the VPS, a VPS is still a VPS. You may get guaranteed CPU or guaranteed RAM but you'll not get guaranteed disk I/O, etc. So for 100% TRUE dedicated resources, use a Dedicated Server.

You do usually get to use more resources you the more you pay though. You can use a lot of resources with Cloud VPS Servers. They offer far more resources than standard OpenVZ VPSs.

It also depends on the VPS technology being used, some like OpenVZ use burst RAM, Xen-HVM uses dedicated RAM.