An old technology

Hi All,

I had mentioned in another post that I "rarely do business with a company that does not have a phone # on their website".

It amazes me on how many people come here and complain about their host without ever picking up the phone and calling them. This is a two way street though as it also amazes me as how many hosts suspend or shut down an account without ever picking up the phone and calling the client. While I agree that if someone blatantly violates their TOS by setting up a spamming, phishing, or illegal site they need to be shut down immediately often this is not the case and if someone is at the edge of their available resources and are risking effecting others on a shared server they might be given a chance to upgrade their account or clean up unnecessary files or AP's.

For myself if I'm using a free service I really do not expect much as far as support, but if I am paying for a premium service I expect premium support which includes bring able to talk to a real person and getting issues resolved in timely manner.

Your thoughts?
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

You don't need a phone to contact somebody. You can use a ticket a system to contact somebody. It's cheaper to use the ticket system. Calling internationally would get very expensive. Especially for clients.
    Last edited by M Bacon; 05-06-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Of course, if you get an 800 number it wouldn't be. I see no point in using the phone when you can do it in the ticket system. It's good to have multiple options though.

Tickets also track history. Phones do not.

Joe client calls and agent #1 fixes him right up.

Joe client has same issue 3 months down the road
    and he now gets agent #2 and he tells agent #2 that Agent #1 fixed him right up.

Well thats great but Agent #1 no longer works here and we were not aware of what the issue or resolution was so bare with us while we figure it out.

VS Ticket

Joe client submits ticket for same issue. Agent #2 clicks History.

Whammo fixed in 30 seconds..

Tickets actually improve customer service and resolution times when used properly.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 05-06-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Typos
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

There are many people out there that prefer picking up the phone, I've worked with many and it drives me nuts
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick67 View Post
    Tickets also track history. Phones do not.

Joe client calls and agent #1 fixes him right up.

Joe client has same issue 3 months down the road
    and he now gets agent #2 and he tells agent #2 that Agent #1 fixed him right up.

Well thats great but Agent #1 no longer works here and we were not aware of what the issue or resolution was so bare with us while we figure it out.

VS Ticket

Joe client submits ticket for same issue. Agent #2 clicks History.

Whammo fixed in 30 seconds..

Tickets actually improve customer service and resolution times when used properly.
    Sure if you're not running a legit company, 99% of companies out there though who have any business sense track phone calls. You call in and there's two methods the system you're working at can automatically bring up that callers info based off of CID and you add notes as you go or you can manually pull up a customers info.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

It's interesting to note that companies like Netflix have completely done away with email support in favor of only phone support.

Thank you for the responses. I find them interesting. That some of you would rather wait for a ticket response rather than having someone on the phone to fix a problem immediately is interesting indeed. I don't remember having a ticket responded to in 30 seconds... ever (other than the auto responder which to me is not a response but merely a confirmation that your email was received).
    The most annoying ones are the companies who's support system is forum based and waiting 1-3 days for someone from the company to respond to a question. Google was one of these and they finally added phone support also.
    Last edited by musicman153; 05-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

We have a phone number as a host, however we rarely get calls...
    People mainly use the support ticket systems or Live Help.

Forum support only is annoying but that's mostly for free hosting companies in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    Hi All,

I had mentioned in another post that I "rarely do business with a company that does not have a phone # on their website".

It amazes me on how many people come here and complain about their host without ever picking up the phone and calling them. This is a two way street though as it also amazes me as how many hosts suspend or shut down an account without ever picking up the phone and calling the client. While I agree that if someone blatantly violates their TOS by setting up a spamming, phishing, or illegal site they need to be shut down immediately often this is not the case and if someone is at the edge of their available resources and are risking effecting others on a shared server they might be given a chance to upgrade their account or clean up unnecessary files or AP's.

For myself if I'm using a free service I really do not expect much as far as support, but if I am paying for a premium service I expect premium support which includes bring able to talk to a real person and getting issues resolved in timely manner.

Your thoughts?
    i always look for 24x7 online support no phone call or support ticket as they can easily cheat with that

Email / Help desk support is better as you usually get the answer you want rather than a blanket answer in a few moments. Phone support is also quite expensive and something most businesses are unable to provide with the margins made in this industry.

Guys,

Ofcourse E-mail / Ticketing is good. If the hosting company is good you will get replies asap with solutions.