OK, now seriously...

So I came across this auction on flippa. It's for the web hosting site/business 100gb.co, which offers shared hosting.

They claim to have 1192 clients, all generated in the last 45 days (100gb.co was registered March 22, 2011).

Monthly server costs are stated as $7/month...for a VPS with 2GB/4GB OpenVZ, 80GB disk. traceroute ends up in serverprovision.net in dallas. There must be some kind of typo there, because I can't find anybody who sells that kind of RAM for $7/month. However, it's stated twice in the auction.

The seller does say they've just about outgrown the current VPS.

Now...I go look at what they offer for shared...100GB of disk space, 1000GB bandwidth, unlimited everything else...that's a lot to fit in a little 80GB VPS Yes, I know, 90%+ of people never use more than 100MB if that, but still...they make such a big deal out of "100GB" and they couldn't satisfy a single client at that rate.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Im watching this auction as well, was thinking if it was real then I would move it to a dedicated server. Must have really went all out with the spreading the word around to get 1100 clients in just over a month.

It's free hosting. Easy to get that amount of signups for free hosting.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Why would you provision more disk space than is needed? Presumably the storage for the VPS is on a SAN, so he can simply expand the partition when extra space is needed.

Yeah, you should ask how many of the clients are active, I dont think this is a good buy anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJohnson View Post
    Why would you provision more disk space than is needed? Presumably the storage for the VPS is on a SAN, so he can simply expand the partition when extra space is needed.
    I get that, but...1192 accounts each allowed to store 100GB of files (=116TB) and you're hosting them all on a single 80GB image is pretty intense overselling.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if all those 1192 accounts fit, because most people only upload/store a small amount. But I would think you'd want at least enough disk to allow ONE person to use 80% of his quota
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

Typically I'd agree with you that there should be more available space, but since they are all free accounts I can understand managing it much more tightly. There are probably soft-limits that give him time to provision additional space.

Whos to say they are real clients anyway?

That auction sold at $195 in the end

I used to browse Flippa on the look out for interesting side projects, but there is nothing of value ever posted on there these days. Get rich quick schemes mixed in with spamvertised sites seem to be the standard.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    1192 accounts each allowed to store 100GB of files
    CPU, RAM, I/O Limits will become apparent long before hitting their account quota's

Why would one bother to go to all of that work....and end up with $195 less expenses. Thats crazy!!...If they would have worked it properly for 12 months they would have had 15 thousand or so clients.... and even non-paying clients are valuable if you have enough of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick - vpsMachine View Post
    Why would one bother to go to all of that work....and end up with $195 less expenses. Thats crazy!!...If they would have worked it properly for 12 months they would have had 15 thousand or so clients.... and even non-paying clients are valuable if you have enough of them!
    Exactly.. Makes no sense to me either.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    I used to browse Flippa on the look out for interesting side projects, but there is nothing of value ever posted on there these days. Get rich quick schemes mixed in with spamvertised sites seem to be the standard.
    Yes, I agree. The same thing is mostly true on eBay as well. On eBay you can be scammed for 99 cents, while on Flippa the same scam will cost you $200

I just deconstructed three Flippa hosting company offerings on my blog - enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick - vpsMachine View Post
    I would of guessed, That they had no funds to continue the growth with hence the sale, But yeah $195 seems hardly worth it.

How much do you think 15k non-paying clients is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    I would of guessed, That they had no funds to continue the growth with hence the sale, But yeah $195 seems hardly worth it.

How much do you think 15k non-paying clients is worth?
    $4?

Someone was willing to pay $195 for this "company," and one of its assets was

"WHMCS License (owned license), new owner, can continue to use the license for another 11 months (when support contract expires). This is a $191 value."

I'm not sure how he gets to that number - owned WHMCS is $199.95 on licensepal - but anyway, it looks like the only value in the company was the WHMCS license.

$4?

"WHMCS License (owned license), new owner, can continue to use the license for another 11 months (when support contract expires). This is a $191 value."

I'm not sure how he gets to that number - owned WHMCS is $199.95 on licensepal - but anyway, it looks like the only value in the company was the WHMCS license.
    Well, technically speaking one could place forced ads on all the sites. Even if a lot accounts are inactive, the traffic (however minimal it may be) of the few hundred sites or so that are active should yield enough ad revenue to pay for that cheap VPS...
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

I wouldn't be too surprised. In free hosting about 80-90% of users never even set up a site.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

$4?

Thats if the license was transferable