Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 65
  1. #1

    HostGator will shut down your website without any prior warning

    I had an account with HostGator through SEO Hosting, paying over 120 USD monthly. Then, without any warning, they shut down my website at 1 am in the morning saying it is using too many resources. I fix the issue, they do the same thing again without even notifying me. It takes hours before I even notice the second time and hours more before they finally allow me access in order to make the necessary changes.

    My conclusion: DO NOT TRUST HOSTGATOR IF YOU WANT YOUR WEBSITE TO BE ONLINE. Their false advertising claiming everything is unlimited will not hold. As soon as you get any traffic (and I wasn't even running MySQL, just a simple PHP page) they will kill your business by shutting down your website without the courtesy of a warning.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    205
    any remember via email before shutdown ?
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

    RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    If you would have given us warning that you'd be overloading the server causing outages for everyone we would have been more then happy to give you warning that you would be suspended.

    If we suspended you again you the problem definitely wasn't fixed. We never claim to give unlimited cpu and memory.

    What was your ticket number on this issue?

  4. #4
    The website traffic hasn't changed for months, in fact it has gone down since a few months ago, and I can't imagine that it would cause an overload all of a sudden. Also, keep in mind I wasn't running ANY MySQL connections and the page was a single file (index.php) containing mostly HTML and only about 300 lines of code, most of which HTML and JS. It's absurd that this would overload your server.

    @KrazyBob, thank you. This is exactly the kind of attitude that makes me glad I won't ever have to deal with HostGator again from now on. I'm happy I'm not the only one who sees it.

    Ticket number: CDF-15238105

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    Hi Nutkenz,

    Thank you for providing your ticket number.

    Your site is receiving over 400,000 page views a day. When we took action and disabled your index it had 133 simultaneous process running on the box causing the load to skyrocket which in turn caused all sites to grind to a crawl.

    The second heaviest user on the server had 16 processes running.
    The third heaviest user had 6 processes running.


    There is no doubt in my mind that your site is to large for a shared enviroment. I see that we did recommend you upgrade to a dedicated and could of had you up and running on it in a matter of minutes of the suspension.

    I'm very sorry we were forced to suspend your site and am especially sorry that we were not able to provide you with advance notification due to the nature of the issue. If you are interested in a dedicated I'd be happy to give you your first month free for all the problems.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    I had an account with HostGator through SEO Hosting, paying over 120 USD monthly. Then, without any warning, they shut down my website at 1 am in the morning saying it is using too many resources. I fix the issue, they do the same thing again without even notifying me. It takes hours before I even notice the second time and hours more before they finally allow me access in order to make the necessary changes.

    My conclusion: DO NOT TRUST HOSTGATOR IF YOU WANT YOUR WEBSITE TO BE ONLINE. Their false advertising claiming everything is unlimited will not hold. As soon as you get any traffic (and I wasn't even running MySQL, just a simple PHP page) they will kill your business by shutting down your website without the courtesy of a warning.
    i have already read many complaints on hostgator so i can't even think to take a chance of taking hostgator service

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Nutkenz,

    Thank you for providing your ticket number.

    Your site is receiving over 400,000 page views a day. When we took action and disabled your index it had 133 simultaneous process running on the box causing the load to skyrocket which in turn caused all sites to grind to a crawl.

    The second heaviest user on the server had 16 processes running.
    The third heaviest user had 6 processes running.


    There is no doubt in my mind that your site is to large for a shared enviroment. I see that we did recommend you upgrade to a dedicated and could of had you up and running on it in a matter of minutes of the suspension.

    I'm very sorry we were forced to suspend your site and am especially sorry that we were not able to provide you with advance notification due to the nature of the issue. If you are interested in a dedicated I'd be happy to give you your first month free for all the problems.
    That's quiet generous that they're offering a free month with a dedicated machine. I'd ensure that hopefully they have a backup of you're work.

    Also be sure to see if they are wanting a commitment contract.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post

    The second heaviest user on the server had 16 processes running.
    The third heaviest user had 6 processes running.


    There is no doubt in my mind that your site is to large for a shared enviroment.
    I would not say it is too large for a shared environment, back when I was on a shared I would go over that regularly and the machine behaved as if at rest. A more accurate statement would be "your site is too large for a budget shared environment".

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AHFB HTML View Post
    I would not say it is too large for a shared environment, back when I was on a shared I would go over that regularly and the machine behaved as if at rest. A more accurate statement would be "your site is too large for a budget shared environment".
    400K views a day and 133 simultaneous processes is too much for any shared hosting environment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    261
    It depends on the software being run or the method to rewrite. It sounds like either the user was running cgi/perl or using mod_rewrite for SEO purposes. That will spike a server load. But not that high. What was the duration of each process? Less than 5 seconds? What he running a proxy server, which nearly no host allows? nutkenz brought it here, Hostgator mouthed off -- so you both can answer question 8=)

    Hosting Court is now in session. The Honorable Judge Rodney presiding. The parties have been sworn your Honor.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    230
    I would take HostGator.com's offer...I don't think you'd get that from any other large hosting company.

    When I was with HostGator's shared hosting (from November 2010, to February 2011 - when my sites got too big for shared hosting, and I wanted more control) it was amazing. Support tickets were answered within 10 minutes, sales/billing tickets were answered within 30 minutes-an hour. When I was leaving and notified them to cancel my accounts they asked if there were any problems or anything that they could fix to get me to stay...I don't see why you guys are saying we're just a dollar amount to them. We could be, but they treated me like I was a lot more than just a dollar amount.


    I have had shared hosting with them, as well as a VPS. I had 0% downtime with them throughout the months I was hosted with them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's own country!
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    If you are interested in a dedicated I'd be happy to give you your first month free for all the problems.

    Accept that offer. Case closed.
    SunShell™ Hosting
    Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller,VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2006

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    Their false advertising claiming everything is unlimited will not hold.
    To be frank it's your own fault. Have you seen unlimited hard drives sold? Have you seen systems with unlimited memory?

    More importantly simply look at the specs of the server you are hosted on, look at how much space it has total and you'll see at which point will you ever be allowed to store terabytes and terabytes of data on a server that only has a couple of hundred GB in total........

    It's consumers like yourself that creates this problem for buying into the unlimited idea.

  14. #14
    I will be with hostgator. 400,000 is really a big deal for any shared hosting. Its time to consider VPS.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Nutkenz,

    Thank you for providing your ticket number.

    Your site is receiving over 400,000 page views a day. When we took action and disabled your index it had 133 simultaneous process running on the box causing the load to skyrocket which in turn caused all sites to grind to a crawl.

    The second heaviest user on the server had 16 processes running.
    The third heaviest user had 6 processes running.


    There is no doubt in my mind that your site is to large for a shared enviroment. I see that we did recommend you upgrade to a dedicated and could of had you up and running on it in a matter of minutes of the suspension.

    I'm very sorry we were forced to suspend your site and am especially sorry that we were not able to provide you with advance notification due to the nature of the issue. If you are interested in a dedicated I'd be happy to give you your first month free for all the problems.
    That's funny. First of all, you did not give me any prior warning. If you shut down my site at 1 in the morning, how am I supposed to agree to any upgrade?

    I don't want a month for free, I'm not every doing business with HostGator again. I want my previous payments refunded due to promises not being kept and false advertisement. I provided statistics before becoming a customer and they literally told me it would not be a problem.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyProSys View Post
    It depends on the software being run or the method to rewrite. It sounds like either the user was running cgi/perl or using mod_rewrite for SEO purposes. That will spike a server load. But not that high. What was the duration of each process? Less than 5 seconds? What he running a proxy server, which nearly no host allows? nutkenz brought it here, Hostgator mouthed off -- so you both can answer question 8=)

    Hosting Court is now in session. The Honorable Judge Rodney presiding. The parties have been sworn your Honor.
    There is only traffic on a single index file. There is only one single page to the whole website, nothing more. There are no processes executed on the server, everything happens client side.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    That's funny. First of all, you did not give me any prior warning. If you shut down my site at 1 in the morning, how am I supposed to agree to any upgrade?
    Look at it from their perspective:
    1. Leave a single site online and have potentially a few hundred other customers upset that their sites are slow/unresponsive.
    2. Take a single site offline, and have one person upset and potentially a few hundred other customers happy.

    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, especially if you're only paying a few dollars per month for your hosting.

    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    I don't want a month for free, I'm not every doing business with HostGator again. I want my previous payments refunded due to promises not being kept and false advertisement. I provided statistics before becoming a customer and they literally told me it would not be a problem.
    What promises did they make that they didn't keep, and why should they go back and refund prior payments for service that you actively used? All of those prior payments - you paid for hosting - and you received said hosting did you not?

    You're upset, I understand that, but what are you trying to achieve here? Perhaps HostGator simply wasn't the right fit for you (no provider is the perfect solution to every hosting need) but personally I would recommend trying to be responsible about this and move on with your life.

    If you've paid money for services you're no longer going to receive (i.e. you paid for a year and have only used 6 months) then I can see an argument for some sort of refund but otherwise not.

    As far as HostGator shutting you down without warning - I would personally hope any shared provider would do exactly that if a specific site/customer is legitimately causing issues for others on the server. Any provider that is unwilling to take the necessary action to keep the service performing optimally is not the type of provider I'd want to be using, but hey, that's just my two cents on that topic.

    Good luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Look at it from their perspective:
    1. Leave a single site online and have potentially a few hundred other customers upset that their sites are slow/unresponsive.
    2. Take a single site offline, and have one person upset and potentially a few hundred other customers happy.
    They could've either called me, just cached the thing (it's ONE SINGLE PAGE, how hard could it be to reduce the load from it, or any number of alternate solutions.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, especially if you're only paying a few dollars per month for your hosting.
    I'm paying 120 USD per month.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    What promises did they make that they didn't keep, and why should they go back and refund prior payments for service that you actively used? All of those prior payments - you paid for hosting - and you received said hosting did you not?
    They did not deliver the hosting, that's the whole point. The damages they caused are greater than the few months of hosting I paid. They should at least refund those.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You're upset, I understand that, but what are you trying to achieve here? Perhaps HostGator simply wasn't the right fit for you (no provider is the perfect solution to every hosting need) but personally I would recommend trying to be responsible about this and move on with your life.
    Thank you, Dr. Phil. You're clearly missing the point though.
    Last edited by nutkenz; 05-07-2011 at 08:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    They could've either called me, just cached the thing (it's ONE SINGLE PAGE, how hard could it be to reduce the load from it, or any number of alternate solutions.
    If it's just a single page, then why are you not caching it yourself? They're your HOSTMASTER and not your WEBMASTER. It's not their job to make sure that your site doesn't use more than it should, that is your job.

    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    I'm paying 120 USD per month.
    That's because you're on their "SEO" hosting, not because you're on some top-end plan. You're paying a lot of money for things that really don't make sense, but hey - who am I to judge?

    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    They did not deliver the hosting, that's the whole point. The damages they caused are greater than the few months of hosting I paid. They should at least refund those.
    You paid for a few months of hosting, and you received a few months of hosting. What you're saying is the equivalent of buying a sandwich from a restaurant once per month for several months and then demanding that they refund all prior payments for all sandwiches previously eaten because you've suddenly become unhappy with the sandwich.

    What you're asking for simply does not make sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    Thank you, Dr. Phil. You're clearly missing the point though.
    Which point am I missing? The one where your expectations do not meet reality and then you expect to be refunded for a service you've clearly been using already? If I'm missing a point - by all means - do clarify it for me.

    P.S. You may want to use [/quote] instead of [quote] to end a quote tag
    Edit: P.P.S. I see you fixed your quote tags
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 05-07-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    1,072
    I highly suggest that you migrate your site to a large VPS or a Dedicated server. I also suggest possibly setting up Varnish on Port 80 and apache on port 81 in order to cache your site in varnish. Of course this will use more memory but the rest of the machine will be good to go... heck... even 2X VPSes can do it as well. 1 for apache and the other for varnish.

    any case, sounds like you have a great site with allot of traffic. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

    Work with hostgator as i am sure that they have your best interest in mind as well as you do.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

  21. #21
    (06:55:57 PM) Ken: Ticket: CDF-15238105
    (06:56:13 PM) Ken: It looks like it has been shut down again even though traffic cannot possibly be high anymore, the DNS was switched yesterday
    (06:56:16 PM) Ken: Please reactivate asap.
    (06:56:18 PM) System: There are currently 0 people in front of you and 84 chat technicians assisting customers.
    (06:56:20 PM) Charles Bo: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat, my name is Charles and I would be glad to assist you with your issue.
    (06:56:26 PM) Charles Bo: Let me check on that
    (06:57:34 PM) Charles Bo: To get that re-enabled you'll have to reply back to that ticket
    (06:58:04 PM) Ken: I got it fixed in chat last time too
    (06:58:41 PM) Ken: They re-enabled it, not sure why it's offline now, traffic is decreasing fast so the load should be fine. It's only one single page, just cache the thing if it's causing any issues?
    (06:58:58 PM) Charles Bo: Yes, it looks like it is
    (06:59:14 PM) Charles Bo: But if you can reply back to that ticket they can re-enable it for you
    (06:59:55 PM) Ken: I did, but please confirm in chat when they're looking at it
    (06:59:58 PM) Ken: This is very urgent
    (07:00:08 PM) Ken: I'm losing my only source of income as we speak
    (07:00:32 PM) Charles Bo: I see you replied, they'll re-enable that for you very soon
    (07:03:13 PM) Charles Bo: Anything else I can help you with?
    (07:04:56 PM) Ken: Yes, please keep this chat open and keep me informed. I've already suffered enough downtime and want to get this fixed asap, I don't want to explain the situation over and over again if anything goes wrong. Could you please help me with that? Just keep it open in case they don't re-enable it right away so I can follow up.
    (07:06:09 PM) Charles Bo: I can see if I can get that ticket escalated for you
    (07:06:11 PM) Charles Bo: Hold on
    (07:08:52 PM) Charles Bo: Have you made any of the changes that was recommended to you?
    (07:09:33 PM) Ken: I've changed the nameservers, that was mentioned several times. It's the only way I know of to decrease traffic.
    (07:12:25 PM) Charles Bo: Is that all you have done to decrease traffic to the site? We still show the domain name as pointed to our servers
    (07:13:03 PM) Ken: It's not. I updated it over 24 hours ago and from where I'm trying, I'm seeing the website online (so it's redirecting to the new server)
    (07:13:42 PM) Charles Bo: Which new server is it pointing to?
    (07:13:53 PM) Ken: My server, hosted in Europe
    (07:14:55 PM) Ken: But hey, to prevent further downtime, they mentioned on WHT that it's possible to switch to VPS in a matter of minutes
    (07:15:02 PM) Charles Bo: Yes, you can do that
    (07:15:17 PM) Charles Bo: You just need to purchase the VPS plan and transfer the site over
    (07:15:34 PM) Ken: Could you do that for me? I don't need the SEO hosting anymore, could that credit be used to cover the VPS?
    (07:16:01 PM) Ken: Not sure which plan is required for the amount of hits, although it's just a single page
    (07:16:26 PM) Charles Bo: You'll have to order that VPS account. It might take a few hours to get the software installed correctly and then we will need to transfer the files over
    (07:16:55 PM) Ken: It's like 5 files all together, any way to speed that up?
    (07:17:15 PM) Charles Bo: Sorry, it takes a little time to get the VPS allocated and the software installed
    (07:17:38 PM) Ken: The HostGator rep literally said it would take minutes on WHT
    (07:18:13 PM) Charles Bo: It takes a few hours to get that VPS software installed

    (07:18:31 PM) Ken: Any faster solutions available?
    (07:18:44 PM) Charles Bo: I'm sorry, Ken, not at this time
    (07:18:57 PM) Charles Bo: You will have to wait for domain name propagation when you sign up a new account as well
    (07:19:00 PM) Charles Bo: That is 24-48 hours
    (07:20:11 PM) Ken: I'm not changing my domain
    (07:20:25 PM) Charles Bo: I'm sorry?
    (07:21:34 PM) Ken: The domain is not changing... I just need the website transfered over to another box so it's online again
    (07:22:26 PM) Charles Bo: Then all you will have to wait for is the setup and installation of the VPS software
    (07:23:36 PM) Ken: The site cannot be down for another 'few' hours
    (07:23:44 PM) Ken: Has the ticket been escalated?
    (07:24:18 PM) Charles Bo: If you can reply back with the steps you took to reduce traffic to the site security will re-evaluate it and get it back online
    (07:25:00 PM) Ken: I'm not trying to be rude, but that's not an answer to my question...
    (07:25:38 PM) Ken: I already replied the steps I took, and they already reactivated it, then they took it offline once again without a warning, notice or reason
    (07:25:38 PM) Charles Bo: I can't escalate it until you describe what you did to resolve the issue.
    (07:26:03 PM) Ken: I already mentioned that several times: the nameservers have been changed so traffic will be flowing to another server as DNS changes propogate
    (07:26:24 PM) Charles Bo: Then I'll get security to take a look at it
    (07:26:34 PM) Ken: Thank you
    (07:27:22 PM) Charles Bo: Sure
    (07:27:28 PM) Charles Bo: Anything else I can help you with?
    (07:27:36 PM) Ken: Just don't close this chat window please.
    (07:29:27 PM) Charles Bo: It might be as much as an hour before they can look at it, even with the ticket elevated the queue is still quite long
    (07:30:52 PM) Charles Bo: They will update you via email when they have re-evaluated the site
    (07:37:26 PM) Charles Bo: Ken are you still there?
    (07:38:40 PM) Ken: Yes
    (07:39:16 PM) Charles Bo: It will take a while for them to respond, at least an hour, maybe more
    (07:39:39 PM) Charles Bo: There is not really much more I can help you with via Chat, I suggest you try to keep in touch via email on that ticket
    (07:39:47 PM) Ken: Look, it takes three seconds to check, I changed the DNS entries in WHM, they point to my new server
    (07:39:58 PM) Ken: Is there any way that could be given priority, please?
    (07:40:18 PM) Ken: This much downtime is catastrophic for my website.
    (07:40:22 PM) Charles Bo: We have already given you priority, but we have other customers as well
    (07:40:27 PM) Charles Bo: They will respond as soon as they are able.
    (07:41:49 PM) Ken: Funny how my complaint on WHM took only a minute to be responded to. Show what priorities HostGator has...

    They might want to hire some more security people instead of reputation management people imho.

  22. #22
    That's not the only inaccuracy. Page views are only half of what HostGator claims.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    I pulled that number directly out of your awstats. It is not a number I made up or exaggerated in any shape or form. Vps would not be a viable solution due to the amount of cpu you're using from the page views.

    We could easily have a dedicated server up and running for you in a few minutes time as well as point the dns from your old server to the new.

    I'll be happy to refund you $300 worth of service. Sending you a pm now regarding this.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    I pulled that number directly out of your awstats. It is not a number I made up or exaggerated in any shape or form. Vps would not be a viable solution due to the amount of cpu you're using from the page views.

    We could easily have a dedicated server up and running for you in a few minutes time as well as point the dns from your old server to the new.

    I'll be happy to refund you $300 worth of service. Sending you a pm now regarding this.
    That's not what I was told:

    (07:50:33 PM) Ken: There's no way to just upload those 5 files to an idle server and quickly divert traffic there?
    (07:51:45 PM) Charles Bo: I'm sorry, there is not at this time

  25. #25
    I really don't think you need a dedicated server. You just need to utilize a service that is using a web server such as LiteSpeed and proper balancing. My buddy hosts sites receiving 25,000+ unique a day, no problem. All in a shared environment. Just depends on PHP and how optimized your scripts are.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Mc View Post
    To be frank it's your own fault. Have you seen unlimited hard drives sold? Have you seen systems with unlimited memory?

    More importantly simply look at the specs of the server you are hosted on, look at how much space it has total and you'll see at which point will you ever be allowed to store terabytes and terabytes of data on a server that only has a couple of hundred GB in total........

    It's consumers like yourself that creates this problem for buying into the unlimited idea.
    Scott, no disrespect intended but I think that your reply is a little harsh. The average customer doesn't know not to trust "unlimited." That's the whole point of marketing. While you and I would agree that hard drives are endless and memory is finite the guy trying to use SEO tricks to drive traffic to Adsense may not. I would say blame the industry before the customer on this unlimited thing. I also don't recall Hostgator showing the server specs.

    133 processes are unlikely to cause an entire server to come to a crawl. How much CPU percentage was being used? Does the single page populate itself from a database? Slow queries? Perl script? They're the worst! But there's got to be more to the story. What's the web site address????

    Run this command:

    Code:
    ps aux | grep http | grep -v "\(root\|grep\)" | wc -l
    Or:

    Code:
    ps axo 'pid user size cmd' | grep http | grep -v "\(root\|grep\)"

  27. #27
    I suppose your having many sites using wordpress on it. Maybe download some caching plugin to ee if it solve the matter

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyProSys View Post
    Scott, no disrespect intended but I think that your reply is a little harsh. The average customer doesn't know not to trust "unlimited." That's the whole point of marketing. While you and I would agree that hard drives are endless and memory is finite the guy trying to use SEO tricks to drive traffic to Adsense may not. I would say blame the industry before the customer on this unlimited thing. I also don't recall Hostgator showing the server specs.

    133 processes are unlikely to cause an entire server to come to a crawl. How much CPU percentage was being used? Does the single page populate itself from a database? Slow queries? Perl script? They're the worst! But there's got to be more to the story. What's the web site address????

    Run this command:

    Code:
    ps aux | grep http | grep -v "\(root\|grep\)" | wc -l
    Or:

    Code:
    ps axo 'pid user size cmd' | grep http | grep -v "\(root\|grep\)"
    Also, the entire website consists of about 5 files with a total size of about 50KB in total. It doesn't connect to any databases or external websites. This should not be hard to host.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    261
    Then PM me the web site so that I can see what we're talking about. I will give you an honest assessment. If you don't want any of us to see it we cannot possibly determine if HostGator did the right thing. Honestly, your hesitation suggests to me that you are redirecting offline websites with active DNS and serving search content. I terminated a customer just today for something similar. I am not implying anything, but if you are on the up and up PM the URL. I'll post my comments to you via return PM.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    940
    A dedi would probably be the best but dont go via hostgator (The Reseller) go via the planet itself.

  31. #31
    I cannot believe it. They just did it again with another account of mine:

    Greetings,
    This is a courtesy notification to let you know that the domain on the server "keylargo" was using an inordinate amount of CPU time and causing a high load on the server, affecting all of the other users. After looking through the logs it looks like the traffic that was causing issues all originated from the IP address "184.154.209.234", so I blocked this IP address from accessing your site using the following .htaccess rules:
    # head /home/nutkenz3/public_html/.htaccess
    deny from 184.154.209.234

    This seems to have dealt with the immediate issue; however, we will continue to monitor the server and alert you if any further actions are required.

    If you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

    05:44:42 up 27 days, 28 min, 2 users, load average: 12.38, 23.30, 36.40
    THEY DID NOT CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP BACK SO MY OTHER WEBSITE WAS OFFLINE FOR 5 HOUR FOR NO REASON AS WELL. Honestly, HostGator, you are the worst web hosting company in existence. I cannot believe the stupidity and the absolute lack of service or even respect towards your customers. There is no excuse for this and you've just cost me over 1,000 USD in lost revenues and damages. AGAIN!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    I cannot believe it. They just did it again with another account of mine:



    THEY DID NOT CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP BACK SO MY OTHER WEBSITE WAS OFFLINE FOR 5 HOUR FOR NO REASON AS WELL. Honestly, HostGator, you are the worst web hosting company in existence. I cannot believe the stupidity and the absolute lack of service or even respect towards your customers. There is no excuse for this and you've just cost me over 1,000 USD in lost revenues and damages. AGAIN!
    Mind pming me your sites that were canceled. If one of them was mainly html I would like to see it.

    Although if a few days downtime costs you over 1,000 USD why do you not have any sort of failover or more reliable service?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Nutkenz,

    Thank you for providing your ticket number.

    Your site is receiving over 400,000 page views a day. When we took action and disabled your index it had 133 simultaneous process running on the box causing the load to skyrocket which in turn caused all sites to grind to a crawl.
    if i was you i will suspend his website , but i don't like your unlimited( Spaces & Bandwidth) offers



    Quote Originally Posted by nutkenz View Post
    That's funny. First of all, you did not give me any prior warning. If you shut down my site at 1 in the morning, how am I supposed to agree to any upgrade?

    I don't want a month for free, I'm not every doing business with HostGator again. I want my previous payments refunded due to promises not being kept and false advertisement. I provided statistics before becoming a customer and they literally told me it would not be a problem.
    You should not trust any web host offers ( Unlimited Spaces & Bandwidth)

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    Honestly, if the usage description is accurate, you'd probably have issues in most shared environments, and probably be here complaining about the same thing with another provider. Look at this logically, if you weren't really causing problems on the server, why would HostGator suspend you and risk (or in this case, it's actually true) losing you as a customer. They're in business to make money and they do that by satisfying their customers. They would not suspend unless it was absolutely needed, and it looks like it was necessary here.

    If you can't live with this sort of problem then you're going to have invest in your own dedicated server(s). Considering you say a few days downtime costs you over $1000, I assume this is not going to be a problem for you.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    261
    He won't PM the URL(s) in question and the IP of 184.154.209.234 reports as reverse.theyellowpages.com. I suspect that he is snagging traffic of web sites and redirecting them to him causing 400,000 page views per day. Since he wont cooperate with those of us trying to help him I guess I can understand why Hostgator turned him off. I truly don't mean to be harsh, but dude -- no 1 page web site pulls 400,000 pv's just like that and generates $1k a day.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Posts
    1,119
    No offense to the OP, but if your service has been suspended multiple times and you didn't upgrade while you had the chance.. this is your own fault. I've dealt with countless clients who, no matter how many times we suspend them, simply just don't do anything about the issue... and then they yell at us for bringing them down. It's your own fault really.


    Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    I'm very sorry we were forced to suspend your site and am especially sorry that we were not able to provide you with advance notification due to the nature of the issue. If you are interested in a dedicated I'd be happy to give you your first month free for all the problems.
    I applaud Host Gator for making such an offer, because most hosts will simply tell you to hit the road if you're causing this much trouble.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyProSys View Post
    He won't PM the URL(s) in question and the IP of 184.154.209.234 reports as reverse.theyellowpages.com. I suspect that he is snagging traffic of web sites and redirecting them to him causing 400,000 page views per day. Since he wont cooperate with those of us trying to help him I guess I can understand why Hostgator turned him off. I truly don't mean to be harsh, but dude -- no 1 page web site pulls 400,000 pv's just like that and generates $1k a day.
    I never received a PM from you and no, my website is just a fairly popular web tool, there's nothing special about it, certainly not anything black hat or illegal.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Encrypted View Post
    No offense to the OP, but if your service has been suspended multiple times and you didn't upgrade while you had the chance.. this is your own fault. I've dealt with countless clients who, no matter how many times we suspend them, simply just don't do anything about the issue... and then they yell at us for bringing them down. It's your own fault really.

    I applaud Host Gator for making such an offer, because most hosts will simply tell you to hit the road if you're causing this much trouble.
    Please read the posts. It was another UNRELATED account which they suspended in order to fix some kind of problem related to a single IP and then KEPT SUSPENDED BY MISTAKE.

    Host Gator seriously dropped the ball in both issues;

    #1: They didn't provide ANY advanced notice, they simply changed ownerships on my files and made it impossible for me to fix the situation as such.


    #2: They saw many requests from a single IP, then changed ownerships on my files and forgot to change back the ownerships despite the problem being fixed and as such MISTAKENLY KEPT MY SITE OFFLINE WITHOUT ANY VALID REASON.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    261
    We DID read your posts and that ISN'T what you said. And BTW, 400,000 page hits a day is not light traffic. In order for you to deal with this issue you first need to accept and understand that there is an issue. In a shared hosting environment you need to be aware of your usage. A web host does not need to provide advanced notice if you are crippling their server. They have the right to immediately suspend your account. We do the same thing and then send an email. If the email address on record is from the domain in question, oh well. We have hundreds of others sites on the server that want what they pay for.

    You refuse to give us the name of your "popular tool" and this adds to my scepticism. I'd like to offer to help but frankly you seem more inclined to complain without sharing ALL of the facts.

    #2: They saw many requests from a single IP, then changed ownerships on my files and forgot to change back the ownerships despite the problem being fixed and as such MISTAKENLY KEPT MY SITE OFFLINE WITHOUT ANY VALID REASON.
    I am having a hard time accepting that they suspended you with cause but accidentally forgot to change your file permissions back. When a site is suspended file permissions are not affected. Usually a sites DNS records are shut off and its virtual host entry commented out.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,333
    I suspect this about to blow up again on here since I just received the following message:

    “I thought you would take care of the cancellation and refund but it seems I've just been billed again for 125 USD...”

    The crazy thing is that right above this new reply it has the following previous correspondences.....

    Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    I have refunded $300 to your card. Please make sure to cancel the account before the next billing cycle to avoid any future bills.


    I was thinking about it and one of the reasons you could be seeing recent issues is due to a surge in traffic from bin laden videos. (might be way off but many sites are getting slammed with traffic from this)


    Did you purchase a dedicated server with the new hosting company?

    Once again I'm very sorry for the issues. I hate losing customers over these type of issues, but when a server starts to crash we have to take action otherwise we upset many customers.

    Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    Hello,


    I see that the account is still active for your seo hostin plan. Please let me know if you would like me to cancel this or not.

    I'm very sorry for the issue you had with this site. There's no doubt in my mind it should be on a dedicated server and while I'd like to keep you as a customer I completely understand if you wish to leave us.

    Please let me know what you would like to do and I'll refund you the $300 either way. thank you.


    I already ordered a new server elsewhere, but thank you for at least refunding the hosting. I haven't cancelled the hosting yet because I need a few days to transfer the other website on this account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 01:45 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 09:36 PM
  3. How many users before they shut my website down
    By TheFashionTalk in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
  4. [Merged] grsecurity - development will cease and website to shut down
    By Pheaton in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 12:57 PM
  5. D.O.S. Script/Related Website needs to be SHUT DOWN!
    By Patrick[EX] in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 12:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •