Help Finding Web Host

Hello everyone,
    I hope you're all doing well. I'm in need of help. I'm looking for a web host for an online gaming community. Not sure what I need. I was gonna go with hostmonster but was told not to and that I should come here since you guys really know what you're talking about.

Thank you in advance....

Welcome to WHT.

What kind of games are you wanting to host on your website?

hmm, maybe I posted wrong, my apologies. What I'm looking for is a place to host my website. I'm sorry, I'm new to all this. I just want to make sure I do it right.

Don't worry, this is the right place for what you need.

I think all you need is a premium hosting package, you'll need one that includes a good amount of bandwidth (traffic) because hosting games will use a fair amount, you should have no problem finding the solution on this forum though.

The challenge with any gaming site is the amount of traffic coming to site. It is desirable to get hosting package with substantial bandwidth support. Still, there are many cheap hosting providers are available with good experience.

I was thinking hostmonster but everyone keeps telling me to stay away from them. You guys have any suggestions? Who is the best out there right now?

There is really no best, it all depends on what's right for you...
    You want support, and a personal experience.

Some of the bigger hosting companies can be great with support, but when you need that little bit more there's more chance they'll treat you as a number and charge you for them going the extra mile.
    There's plenty of options available on the forum, but I'd advise to avoid any $1 deals, as they most likely won't be too sutable for what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by intelliServe View Post
    Don't worry, this is the right place for what you need.

I think all you need is a premium hosting package, you'll need one that includes a good amount of bandwidth (traffic) because hosting games will use a fair amount, you should have no problem finding the solution on this forum though.
    I don't think the OP is talking about running games on his/her site. I think it's more of a gaming forum, based on the fact the he stated "online gaming community". Is it going to be a big or small site?
    Last edited by flam316; 05-05-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: deleted a stupid question that was impossible for the OP to answer
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    I don't think the OP is talking about running games on his/her site. I think it's more of a gaming forum, based on the fact the he stated "gaming community website". What is your budget and how popular do you think it will get?
    You're correct!!! We are just rebuilding our guild but now want to expand and make a gaming community out of it. WE are making a pre lease Star Wars the Old Republic guild and we are planning on getting much bigger as game releases but it will not just be based on one game. we want a multi gaming community. As for budget, I was about to spend about $250 a yr on hostmonster.

Ah that makes sense, where will most of your users be from?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelia View Post
    You're correct!!! We are just rebuilding our guild but now want to expand and make a gaming community out of it. WE are making a pre lease Star Wars the Old Republic guild and we are planning on getting much bigger as game releases but it will not just be based on one game. we want a multi gaming community.
    Sounds like a cool project. I would suggest MDDHosting, mostly because they host a lot of these type of forums and they have upgrade options for when you get bigger. And they're well priced.

Quote Originally Posted by intelliServe View Post
    Ah that makes sense, where will most of your users be from?
    If by where they will be from you mean where they will be located, we have members from as far as Hong Kong to as close as Florida. Or if you meant what games they are coming fromm, that's just our recruiting efforts on the forums and in the games that we currently play.
    Our website is going to be Star Wars the Old Republic based.
    Last edited by Azelia; 05-05-2011 at 10:00 PM.

I was gonna go with hostmonster but was told not to and that I should come here since you guys really know what you're talking about.
    Who ever told you that gave you some great advice!

How many members does the forum have? How many are usually logged in the forum at the same time? Do you know the size of your database?

These questions will help us recommend the type of hosting you should be using. If the forum is not too big or very busy, you should be fine using a decent shared hosting plan from any reputable provider.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

on hostmonster.
    I would select a better host.
    That's just another crappy unlimited host -- and owned by EIG, I believe (a second negative)
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    Who ever told you that gave you some great advice!

How many members does the forum have? How many are usually logged in the forum at the same time? Do you know the size of your database?

These questions will help us recommend the type of hosting you should be using. If the forum is not too big or very busy, you should be fine using a decent shared hosting plan from any reputable provider.
    Since we are just starting out again, we have about 30 members but many will visit the site once up since we are constant talkers on the game forums with our guild website in our signatures. We will have many visitors to site once up. Plus we are still recruiting. I remember back in the day we had well over 300 members.

Since we are just starting out again, we have about 30 members but many will visit the site once up since we are constant talkers on the game forums with our guild website in our signatures. We will have many visitors to site once up. Plus we are still recruiting. I remember back in the day we had well over 300 members.
    A 300 member forum is not a problem for shared hosting. Now, if lets say all 300 members are logged in the forum at the same time and each are making connections to the database simultaneously, then this will be a problem in a shared hosting environment.

Although this is highly unlikely to happen for a while until your forum grows more (at this point your host should upgrade you to a more suitable envorinment for your website). I've seen 1,000+ member forums in shared hosting plans without any problems, but I notice they only have about 50-80 members max logged in at the same time.
    Last edited by HostLeet; 05-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.

A 300 member forum is not a problem for shared hosting. Now, if lets say all 300 members are logged in the forum at the same time and each are making connections to the database simultaneously, then this will be a problem in a shared hosting environment.

Although this is highly unlikely to happen for a while until your forum grows more (at this point your host should upgrade you to a more suitable envorinment for your website). I've seen 1,000+ member forums in shared hosting plans without any problems, but I notice they only have about 50-80 members max logged in at the same time.
    what about storage? someone recommended MDDhosting . They have disk storage of 50 gb. Is that enough?

what about storage? someone recommended MDDhosting . They have disk storage of 50 gb. Is that enough?
    That's for their biggest shared plan. I suggest you start out with their basic plan with 10gb of storage. You will probably use less than 10% of this.

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    That's for their biggest shared plan. I suggest you start out with their basic plan with 10gb of storage. You will probably use less than 10% of this.

Makes sense.

MDDHosting has a great rep here in WHT, so I'm sure you will have no problems with them. Mike (CEO of MDD) is very active in these forums as well. I suggest you shoot them an email if you're interested in them.

MDDHosting has a great rep here in WHT, so I'm sure you will have no problems with them. Mike (CEO of MDD) is very active in these forums as well. I suggest you shoot them an email if you're interested in them.
    Will do!! I have already decided that they will get my business!!!

Will do!! I have already decided that they will get my business!!!
    Great! Do come back and update us in a few months.

depends ur budget
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit