* Server Power Consumption

I am building a 1U or a 2U server and need your help in determining, from your experience, how much power it would need (AMPS), and what power supply wattage would be sufficient before I decide to colo it

1U Server

i7 950 or 960
    4 x 1 TB hard drives 7200 RPM
    12 Gig DDR3 1600 MHZ Ram (Non ECC Desktop Ram)
    Generic Low Profile Video Card
    Embedded Raid
    1 DVD RW
    Power Supply ??????

2U Server

i7 950 or 960
    6 x 1 TB hard drives 7200 RPM
    24 Gig DDR3 1600 MHZ Ram (Non ECC Desktop Ram)
    Generic Low Profile Video Card
    Embedded Raid Card
    1 DVD RW
    Power Supply ??????

Would 1 AMP be enough or would I need more? What is the best way to calculate it?

I sometimes use http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
    But only use that as a rough guideline. someone else with more knowledge about that sort of stuff my be able to help and give an actual answer.

added >> watts/voltage = ampere, if you didnt know

The biggest thing you can do is get an 80Plus power supply. If you do that I bet you can be in about 1.5 to 2 amps.
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    [email protected]

Especially for a 1U server, you might consider using a motherboard that has built-in video. It's unusual to put a video card in a server.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    Especially for a 1U server, you might consider using a motherboard that has built-in video. It's unusual to put a video card in a server.
    what if he is adding a GPU for compilations.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by bizness View Post
    what if he is adding a GPU for compilations.
    Probably not with a "Generic Low Profile Video Card"
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Forget the amperage. I would love to know how any one can put an i7 (Nehalem / 130W) in to a 1U and adequately cool it.

To answer your question, it will probably consume 1A (US) average.

My goal of a solid server has always been keeping the CPU temp under 80C while running Prime95. That is monitoring for 24 hours. Nehalem i7's get too hot, period!!! It goes over (or close to) 80C with the Intel stock fan in an open bench so I would avoid anyone offering single Nehalem in 1U like plagues... The CPU will throttle!!!

So, my dear friend, where are you getting this server from so that I can avoid

Quote Originally Posted by shreky View Post
    Forget the amperage. I would love to know how any one can put an i7 (Nehalem / 130W) in to a 1U and adequately cool it.

To answer your question, it will probably consume 1A (US) average.

My goal of a solid server has always been keeping the CPU temp under 80C while running Prime95. That is monitoring for 24 hours. Nehalem i7's get too hot, period!!! It goes over (or close to) 80C with the Intel stock fan in an open bench so I would avoid anyone offering single Nehalem in 1U like plagues... The CPU will throttle!!!

So, my dear friend, where are you getting this server from so that I can avoid
    We run i7, Sandybridge, Dual Xeon 5620 all in 1U as do most everyone in this industry. Build the servers properly. You can't use the "stock" i7 heatsinks in a 1U anyway. Have you seen inside a 1U case? There are typically 4 high speed fans that blow over the CPU area, you can use a passive heatsink and typically keep everything cool. On the back processor for a dual xeon 5620 an active heatsink ensures both proc temperatures stay in the "Low" range according to the motherboard.

There is a reason why a decent 1U case costs $290-$400, they are amazingly well engineered for cooling efficiency.
    Last edited by ServiceProvider; 05-06-2011 at 04:09 AM.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    We run i7, Sandybridge, Dual Xeon 5620 all in 1U as do most everyone in this industry. Build the servers properly. You can't use the "stock" i7 heatsinks in a 1U anyway. Have you seen inside a 1U case? There are typically 4 high speed fans that blow over the CPU area, you can use a passive heatsink and typically keep everything cool. On the back processor for a dual xeon 5620 an active heatsink ensures both proc temperatures stay in the "Low" range according to the motherboard.

There is a reason why a decent 1U case costs $290-$400, they are amazingly well engineered for cooling efficiency.
    I agree with you. Design is very good and I think that such CPUs can be used in 1U, but Supermicro advise us not to do that. With time cooling efficiency can go a little down and it will overheat under hard load. Their rep just told me not to use anything more than 95W TDP. I prefer to listen to their opinion, they have more info about that than us

Sure, to each his own. I'm looking "inside" one of our 1U Dual Xeon machines right now and it's a cool 35C inside. We add an "extra" high speed fan to most all of our servers, the SM chassis comes with one "dummy fan." Even without it the cooling is more than sufficient, but with it we can tolerate a fan failure, probably even two (but either way we'd replace them) and keep temperatures way below recommended ranges.

Google has put out a lot of information about heat/drives/etc, here's their old hard drive/heat study: http://static.googleusercontent.com/...k_failures.pdf
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber