Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone from iWeb here?

Hello all... I'm posting this hoping that there is an iWeb employee floating around here somewhere, or perhaps someone here with contact information for someone at iWeb.

If so, please do post or PM me.

Thanks!

If its www.iweb.com, whois them.

One of the executives from iWeb lurks around here, they'll probably come into this thread during business hours tomorrow. Is there a problem you're having with their service?

Do the search for user "fbc" (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=50405)
    Stéphane Jose
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by skweekykleen View Post
    Hello all... I'm posting this hoping that there is an iWeb employee floating around here somewhere, or perhaps someone here with contact information for someone at iWeb.

If so, please do post or PM me.

Thanks!
    Send a message to atchoooo http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=44585

Martin is the COO of iWeb and I am positive he will be able to assist you. Aside from the information provided, I would definitely consider iWeb a mid-large size hosting provider and can't foresee why you would have issues establishing contact with them through their corporate web site either by phone or e-mail.
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

There are live support agents available 24 hours on Iweb.com and you can also contact them via "client hub" link in top nav bar of site.
    █ l Host Monsterz Pvt Ltd • Superb Support Network • DES 64 bit Secured Network
    l Linux Shared/Reseller Hosting • Virtual Server • Dedicated Server • cPanel®
    █ l Nginx • Softaculous • Fantastico • RVSite Builder • WHMCS • 24x7 Available Server Admin
    l Premium Managed VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • Raid Drives

Here I am.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Quote Originally Posted by atchoooo View Post
    Here I am.
    What is your designation at Iweb.com?
    █ l Nginx • Softaculous • Fantastico • RVSite Builder • WHMCS • 24x7 Available Server Admin

What is your designation at Iweb.com?
    Cofounder, President of Product and Technology still assuming the COO role.

It's kinda funny that the OP asked for an iWeb rep. but didn't even want to mention anything at all. Is it a problem? Is it a question he has? Would have been easier and faster if he actually did said whatever he wanted to say early on.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

It's kinda funny that the OP asked for an iWeb rep. but didn't even want to mention anything at all. Is it a problem? Is it a question he has?
    I guess I will know shortly !

Iweb is a great company and Martin is a good guy so he will get you sorted out.

P.S. getting any sleep yet Martin

Ahhhh !! Great

Just a casual talk. Since you are in this Industry for a very long time I would like to ask you a favor and advise on What Should I do next !

RQ #4375763 - Current
    RQ #4384579 - Current
    RQ #4175393 - Past
    Please take a look at given above ticket ID's (I know that these are a bit long but really expect you to take a thorough look)

Thanks for your precious time

Iweb is a great company and Martin is a good guy so he will get you sorted out.
    Assuming there is a problem ... we do not know yet :-)

P.S. getting any sleep yet Martin
    What is sleep? :-)

@HostMonsterz : Can you send me an email at mleclair at iweb.com so I can ask you some questions?

mail Sent.

Martin. I'm glad I've finally been able to get a name of someone who can actually listen. I first of all appreciate the fact that you listen to your customers via this site.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get any attention of a manager via your ticketing system or chat. They simply refused to allow me to know who I can speak to (see transcript below)

R.: Please give me a phone number for a manager. I need to call right away
    JeanBaptiste B.: You can fill a complain through your customer hub by clicking on feedback to management
    JeanBaptiste B.: just under Assistance
    R.: Same issue...no response just like these tickets.
    R.: Please give me a name of someone I can speak to.
    JeanBaptiste B.: Management does not take any phone call

Here is my current situation.

I signed up for a new server and proceeded to do the transfer over the week-end. Plesk to Plesk migration went very well. Sites were up and running.

On Sunday I moved about 50% of my clients, the smaller ones. At around noon, we found out that emails were not working. You can follow the still open ticket (It's now 1:30 PM on Tuesday) #4389367. Either someone from your team or from Plesk finally after many many hours did something, which made things worse. Now all emails were being bounced back among other issues. Long story short, I finally hired a sub-contractor of mine to look into the issue Monday night, about 30+ hours into this ticket. By doing a logical examination of the server, he found the issue and we updated the ticket. We asked that the Sys Admin call my tech who could explain further. The reply was that I would updated in 8 hours. Yes...8 hours. So, we fixed the issue ourselves and mail service (incoming) was finally setup properly. I expected email service would be working on a new server. We then noticed that outgoing email was not working. We updated the ticket last night and I finally went to sleep (I had been up since we noticed the problem Sunday). After giving your staff about 7-8 hours to look into the issue, I noticed that no progress was made this morning (Tuesday). Started a chat so they could look at the ticket. Ticket has been flagged as urgent. My tech (not cheap) looked into it again and said it is probably something simple. You will have to ask your techs, but I think they are just trying to pass the ball to Plesk support, which also has an open ticket since Sunday afternoon. So here I am, Tuesday 1:45 PM almost 12 hours since we asked to have outgoing mail looked at and the only update we received was an apology for the delay.

I'm trying really hard to like iWeb. I wanted to encourage a Canadian company and be hosted in Canada. But having a server with no email is not an option. To have the issue open for 30+ hours and finally have to hire outside help (I'm level 4 support from iweb - out of 5) to find out that someone configured postfix instead of qmail...well...what can I say? We've asked that instead of relying on Plesk to answer back (who knows how many more hours that will take)...all we ask is that they examine, like my tech did with incoming...the outgoing configuration. We just want to be able to send out emails.

I have yet to feel the full repercussions on this outage from Sunday noon till Tuesday past noon - still not fully resolved. I've got clients of 15+ years fuming mad at the loss of a days work and the loss of business, productivity and anxiety.

Am I being unreasonable to expect a new server to have working emails? Am I unreasonable to ask for a manager after 48 hours of being down? Am I unreasonable to find this response (below) not comforting for mission critical issues?

R.: I've had tickets in the past go open without response for 4 or more hours.
    Jessica R.: This is normal, there are other request before yours.

Now I believe that if a customer goes through all this trouble to explain this to someone in management, it's not because I want to be biter. It's because I want you to be better!

Here are my suggestions (take them or leave them).

Your ticketing system is flawed in a few areas. First and foremost, I cannot flag a ticket based on priority. I don't mind waiting 8 hours for an answer for something non critical...but not 8 hours for a high priority issue. Second is that in the original ticket, you ask for username and password of root. I was surprised to get that back to me as a plain text email. Very serious breach of security to have root passwords floating around. Third is that there seems to be no communication that a ticket is being reviewed. Yes, I get an email that a ticket has been created. If I just leave the ticket alone...after about 4 hours for a mission critical issue and no response...I get antsy. The only way I figured out to get any attention is to start a chat. The chat directs the tech to the ticket, then they finally say they are looking into it. I have to start chats periodically to get updates because any request via a ticket goes un-answered, at least the vast majority of them. If a ticket gets placed at Plesk, it is totally out of my control and I don't get any updates. I believe in that situation, my ticket gets placed on hold till an answer is given (could be 24 hours - see below).

R: What's your ETA on an answer from Plesk?
    Ovidiu T.: Usually Plesk resolves a ticket in 24 hours

Probably after staff changes, my ticket seems to be lost in the shuffle. If new information comes up and I update the ticket, I will get no response till I start up a chat. So the ticketing system seems somewhat disorganized and there is no follow up that I can see.

Finally, you have a Feedback to Management link in the Customer Hub. Did one last night and the only response I got was from a tech (I think he put his response in the wrong ticket because it involved the other ticket's issue). So how come a tech can see my management feedback form? Kind of like giving a complain about the waitress to give to her boss...I doubt it will ever make it past the trash.

I did get some responses in my ticket for another client. A little worried about that one also. Maybe the interface is not clear for your techs and they are answering the wrong tickets.

Basically, the ticketing systems needs to be examined.

Going forward, I very uncomfortable with the level of support I will get for future problems. I pay extra for level 4 support, but I had to hire an outside tech to intervene and fix a problem.

You do have some good techs, don't get me wrong. There are a few bright people at iWeb...but it's easy to pass the hot potato to Plesk and wait.

Martin, I want your company to succeed but to do that, you might need to examine the support aspect of your operations. This is quite similar to the Dell Hell Blog that showed that Dell employees would simply transfer the problem to another department because they were judged on how long they were on a call. To keep numbers down, best to transfer. Dell went from the worst customer service to one of the best (I have a whole other email about dealing with a Lenovo Workstation and getting passed from Lenovo to IBM back to Lenovo to IBM...).

As a fellow Canadian business man, I would be happy to discuss further if you have any questions. I make myself available to you. Not only do I want my issue resolved, I am offering my help if you want it to give you honest feedback, hoping you can take this information and make iWeb a much better company.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I look forward to being able to send email.

Regards,

Randal W.

Let me look into it.

Just an updates. We asked that iWeb support take a look at the sending of emails, saying that it was probably not an issue with Plesk and to please take a look at the setup (around 2 or 3 AM last night and again today).

iWeb support said:

Samy G. I would really love to fix the issue myself but the problem emanates directly from plesk so we have no choice but to wait after their technicians.

Again, the problem had nothing to do with Plesk, and again, I got my sub-contractor to look at the sending setup as we had requested. He quickly found the issue and now the server is up and running.

If only iWeb would have taken a look at the setup instead of waiting on Plesk, this would have been solved about 12 hours ago. In hindsight, if iWeb would have verified the setup of emails incoming and outgoing, this would have been solved Sunday afternoon...but that's Monday armchair quarterback analysis.

The whole issue with this new install is that someone from either iWeb or Plesk played around with the postfix instead of qmail and caused all these issues that were thought to be a Plesk error. It was an initial setup issue.

Finally a happy ending to a 53 hour problem.

At least I will have a full night's rest tonight. I was averaging 10 grey hairs per hour during this ordeal.

Randal.

@netwark, I am happy the issue is resolved. Please note that we are an unmanaged provider, you request to investigate a problem related to emails it is really the best to use a sub-contractor for that (as you did). We specialize in providing the server, making sure it has 100% network & power uptime and that we resolve quickly any hardware and datacenter related issues, but unless you are a complex hosting customer with full level 5 we do not manage the servers. In cases like yours, we do our best to assist the customers to find a resolution but it is not possible for us to manage such requests as "emergencies", it is really best-effort on software related issues and guarantee quick response times on all other issues under our control. This being said, if it was not woking when we delivered the server to you then it is our fault !

Let me know if I can do anything else for you !

Regards,
    Last edited by Justin; 05-11-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: edited per request

I am happy the issue is not resolved.
    Oops... I guess you understand I meant I am happy the issue IS resolved.

Unfortunately in my case, the server was delivered without a working email configuration. When it was configured, a mistake was made by your staff that started this additional issue, which I had to pay a sub-contractor to fix. What started as a simple issue (not listening to outside traffic) turned into a 3 day event because work was done on the wrong mail server component from the start.

As to the support Level, the only difference I see between a level 4 and level 5 is no security audit, no server resources monitoring and 24x7 monitoring, Notification and response. I was under the impression that the email service was not outside that mandate and that a sys admin could look over the proper setup of the mail service (which is how my tech found all the issues).

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the Support Package is more of a hardware service (swap out ram, bad hard disk) and reinstalling an image of the server, and maybe help for other issues...and I mean maybe.

I do understand however support would not apply to custom modification (such as running Asterisk or some other Linux software that doesn't come out of the box).

It's too bad the relationship started out this way. Because of this delay, my migration is now going to be overlapping with the billing of my old server, so I will be out of pocket for a month, which I was not planning on as well as out of pocket to fix a basic misconfiguration of the server - email service. What can you do about this situation? I would like to see a credit for 1 month's service so I can fully test the server before I migrate any more clients. I can't afford to risk an email outage again.

Again, I thank-you for being active in the community.

Regards,

If it was not working at delivery then it's our fault. And if you have a level 4 management package, it is also our fault. I did not think it was the case. Sorry. But level 5 has proactive monitoring which give customers better response times as we act upon notifications of the system instead of waiting for customers to ask. We can give you a free month of service to make sure there is no billing overlap for you and to compensate for the installation problem that caused a delay. I had not seen that's what you are requesting I just saw it, so there is no problem, we will give you 1 free month so your billing do not overlap (can you send me your account ID or server ID by PM so I can make sure it is applied?) and if you have any other problem that you feel is not taken care of as it should do not hesitate to let me know.
    Last edited by atchoooo; 05-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atchoooo View Post
    Cofounder, President of Product and Technology still assuming the COO role.
    Thats a cool designation

Just got a bill for $510 + tax to fix the issue from my sub-contractor. Ouch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast