Best bang for the buck

Hi all

Ok so you guys probably get this a lot, but when I ran a search for "best host" I did not get many relevant hits.
    Instead of trying my usual stream of search queries I figured I'd just post and see what answers I get.

So, I can't help but notice most of you have a serious problem with hosts that offer "unlimited" services. I can understand why.
    But, I think the best deal I've seen so far from any host would be from justhost.com. But again I noticed a few bad reviews on here regarding justhost.

So then I see places such as mddhosting being mentioned here but in those cases the price goes up.
    I then see people saying, find out what you need, and then find a reliable host that offers the right package.
    Well, I don't need a lot at all.
    The package I'm looking for right now would simply be for a family site.
    So it's not like we'll be looking at 200 hits a day.
    But I do want to run a script like Gallery3 so we can upload our family pics on our "own" server.

But the biggest question when it comes to finding a reliable host is just that, how do we know it's reliable.
    And then there's the price.
    It's not a site that will be running ads or anything of the likes, and since I have 3 kids you can imagine I have bigger things to worry about then paying too much for hosting.

So if I can get something for less than $40 a year while at the same times at a reputable host I would be happy.

But that's the thing, is this possible?

Hey,

This is definitely possible as it seems you will not be requiring a package with an endless amount of space and bandwidth.

Do you have a preference on the location?

Rob

Also.. Don't be afraid to contact any of the providers that you're already interested in. Many companies will offer you a custom plan to meet your exact requirements and price, if you just ask. MDD has a great reputation here and are more on the smaller scale when compared to a big mainstream host like JustHost. But bigger is not always good.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Exactly, space and bandwidth are not such a big deal. Though I think the amount of files could be an issue depending on what site software I'm running (wordpress/joomla/e107/etc).
    That mixed in with the pictures I'd be uploading, it could potentially be a problem if I don't have enough.
    While I'm more then capable, I'd rather not go through the process of resizing my photos just to make sure they are 300Kb or less a piece. So I guess for the photoalbum I'd need sufficient space.
    But I highly doubt I'll need more then 10GB. I guess I should look on our local computers to see what our current pictures amount up to. Then I'll have a better indication.

Location is never a problem when it comes to websites in my opinion. Connection however, is. I'm in New York myself but if my sites are hosted in Amsterdam I'd be happy enough because I know their datacenters have excellent connection.

Hostleet, thanks for your suggestion. I'll be sure to try and calculate what I would require space wise and then talk to hosts ,once I find a few, regarding custom plans.

With 10gigs of space and sufficient bandwidth, you may find it difficult to get something reliable for around $40. Plenty of companies will be able to offer what you require, but it sounds as if you want a provider that will cause no problems, and you can pop on every now and then to upload photos.

I would definitely have to second HostLeet's recommendation of MDDHosting. They may be a fair bit over your quoted budget of $40, but are definitely one to consider. Their network and support is excellent.

Well that's the thing, I don't know how much bandwidth would be sufficient. And I'm just spitting out the number of 10GB to be sure I'll have enough.
    Now as far as reliability goes, I've seen people who's sites tend to be either down at least once a day for a certain amount of time or their site is extremely slow in response.
    You can understand this is not acceptable.
    For that I can go get a free host.

It's just difficult. I know I have to pay for a decent service, and I also know you get what you pay for.
    But I'd like to find the cheapest option, while at the same time have something as reliable as I can get.

A sort of a "meet in the middle" kind of thing.

Have you had a look at HostGator? They offer unlimited plans but have a fairly good rep at WHT (Any large company will obviously have what seems to be a larger number of bad reviews compared to smaller companies) I hosted with them for a time and had no complaints, and they're pretty damn cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchshrek View Post
    It's just difficult. I know I have to pay for a decent service, and I also know you get what you pay for.
    But I'd like to find the cheapest option, while at the same time have something as reliable as I can get.

A sort of a "meet in the middle" kind of thing.
    The only real way to find this is by trial and error. Sure, there are reviews out there, but you have to take the good and the bad both with a grain of salt. The only real way to know if you're going to get solid service or not is to give a provider a try and find out for yourself.

This is where I'd generally advise not going for anything beyond monthly and not spending any more up front than you could stand to lose should things go terribly wrong (i.e. what you thought was a good choice turns out to be a terrible choice).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Hello OP, just get the provider that you think is best for you. After the complete propagation of your domain. Put everything that you desire and ask everything that you want to know to support dept. Test their system and response time and attitude. Then you decide.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Hi all

Ok so you guys probably get this a lot, but when I ran a search for "best host" I did not get many relevant hits.
    Instead of trying my usual stream of search queries I figured I'd just post and see what answers I get.

So, I can't help but notice most of you have a serious problem with hosts that offer "unlimited" services. I can understand why.
    But, I think the best deal I've seen so far from any host would be from justhost.com. But again I noticed a few bad reviews on here regarding justhost.

So then I see places such as mddhosting being mentioned here but in those cases the price goes up.
    I then see people saying, find out what you need, and then find a reliable host that offers the right package.
    Well, I don't need a lot at all.
    The package I'm looking for right now would simply be for a family site.
    So it's not like we'll be looking at 200 hits a day.
    But I do want to run a script like Gallery3 so we can upload our family pics on our "own" server.

But the biggest question when it comes to finding a reliable host is just that, how do we know it's reliable.
    And then there's the price.
    It's not a site that will be running ads or anything of the likes, and since I have 3 kids you can imagine I have bigger things to worry about then paying too much for hosting.

So if I can get something for less than $40 a year while at the same times at a reputable host I would be happy.

But that's the thing, is this possible?
    Just remember "you get what you pay for" and "if it's too good to be true, it probably is". And your budget of $40/year is good for Shared hosting plan, which is all you need by the sounds of it.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Hiya,

There's plenty of sites around the internet. Hosts that say unlimited are not really offering unlimited, what i usually say is, "Have you ever heard of a unlimited harddrive?" thats why many webhosts wont have unlimited because its misinterpretation. As long as you dont use lots of the server resources mosts hosts are happy with what you host, depending if its legal etc. But as i said, you can get some good quality hosting , and im not ganna advertise my self here, but look around, many including mine offer what you need

It's good that you know what you want.
    Good luck in your search!

Your budget is right on target for a nice VPS account. You should be able to get on a really quick cloud vps utilizing the latest technology / best vCPU that the market allows today.

Respectfully,
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~Enterprise Class VPS ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Server Genius Support™ ~
    ~ Custom Complex / Managed Hosting Pros ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations! ~
    ~
    ICQ: 489798823 - AIM: WebairMetz - - EMAIL: SALES@WEBAIR.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WebairMetz View Post
    Your budget is right on target for a nice VPS account. You should be able to get on a really quick cloud vps utilizing the latest technology / best vCPU that the market allows today.

Respectfully,
    OP's budget was $40/year not $40/month ...
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

thanks for the tips people. I'm extremely happy hot getting the "google it" answer.

Say, I don't suppose anyone knows how to calculate how much bandwidth would be sufficient?
    I think that is the hardest thing to find out before hand. I'm not even sure it's possible to estimate, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Obviously I would need to know how many pages and how big the pages are and things like that. And it's never possible to exactly know before hand. But I'm wondering if there's some way to make it easy to calculate an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    OP's budget was $40/year not $40/month ...
    OMG! Misread that for sure.
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~Enterprise Class VPS ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Server Genius Support™ ~
    ~ Custom Complex / Managed Hosting Pros ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations! ~
    ~
    ICQ: 489798823 - AIM: WebairMetz - - EMAIL: SALES@WEBAIR.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WebairMetz View Post
    OMG! Misread that for sure.
    HAHA ok.

thanks for the tips people. I'm extremely happy hot getting the "google it" answer.

Say, I don't suppose anyone knows how to calculate how much bandwidth would be sufficient?
    I think that is the hardest thing to find out before hand. I'm not even sure it's possible to estimate, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Obviously I would need to know how many pages and how big the pages are and things like that. And it's never possible to exactly know before hand. But I'm wondering if there's some way to make it easy to calculate an estimate.
    This page can give you a rough estimate if you know (or can estimate) the figures required in the calculation.

http://www.findmyhosting.com/bandwidth-explained/