Thread: Advice Needed

Advice Needed

Hi guys,

I run a website,, we've been growing at a decent pace and now have reached about 100gb of videos with an expected 120-130 gb coming in the next month

My existing provider has told me to shift from VPS to dedicated since ffmpeg conversions are pretty heavy on CPU's

Please advice if this price and config is good for me

For 79$
    1. Core2Quad @ 2.3ghz
    2.5 TB Bandwidth
    3.100mbps port or 1gbps (not sure)
    4.4gb RAM
    5.5 IP Addresses

Is this a decent price and config for a Website running on ClipBucket?

Thanks in advance

Miami, FL
    Depending on how many people are using it and etc, we can't really tell you if it's correct or not.

Do tell us your traffic and etc. I mean, if there's practically almost like 10-15 people using the server the whole day total, then yes it's more than enough but if more then it's a different story.

Traffic stat please?
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century

That all depends on How fast you plan on growing and how much HDD space they are offering.

As for the Bandwidth if you are expecting people to stream the video you may need to look high i would also take a look at the budget vs income and plan a little for the future as if you are growing by 100gb a month you will very quickly out grow that server "Where the client comes first!"
    Ultra Fast Unmetered Dedicated Servers
    Ultra Fast VPS's
    Budget Line Shared Hosting

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention HDD, HDD is 250GB

Traffic is around 300 visitors a day (we started about a month back), I know it's not much, but well it seems to be growing

Budget vs. Income - I'm doing a bit of web design and stuff, so it kinda supports the website, website is a hobby.

I'm trying to go slow cause I dont really want to waste cash, I'm a student and cash is not easy to come by im afraid

It's a decent server to start with, it should be able to handle the 300 visitors.
    What do the visitors do most of the time anyway?

You can always upgrade once you are growing, I'm sure your host can be flexible with that also
    » - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    » Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Yeah, my host should be

Visitors must be downloading, uploading and streaming videos for the most part.

Attached screenshots of awstat visitor logs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png   2.png  

I would personally want to make sure I had two drives in raid 1. Since you're planning for rather quickly needing 250gb of space within the next month or so, you'd be best off getting at least a 500gb drive. Providers may charge more for 500gb drives than they do for 250gb drives, but if you look at the cost to buy those drives, it's pretty much identical, so you should be able to negotiate to get a 500gb drive at close to the same price they're charging for a 250gb drive.

For redundancy and performance reasons, you'll want to get a raid 1 array of two drives if you can afford it. Read performance should be doubled, and if a drive fails, your server won't go offline because of it.

As far as the specs and price, yes, it's a good set of specs at a good price. The core2quad cpu isn't the best in the world anymore, but it's still a solid performer, and at the price quoted, a good deal as well.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers --
    Email: sales [at]
    Backup Storage VPS --

I would also look at the growth options in that specific server. Honestly, I would go higher spec across the board and really deliver a solid performing server. Its far worse to have a badly performing server and have visitors tuning out- while you upgrade, than to grow into a higher machine and pay a little more upfront.